Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Map Maker has a known issue of displaying the addresses of businesses even though they have followed the guidelines and hid their address in the places dash.

I was checking on a client who has a hidden address and noticed that their address is now visible when you click the "edit business details" tab right on the G+ Local page.

I have never noticed this before, so I assume this is a result of the EBD feature being linked with Map Maker now??

Has anyone noticed this? What do you think?

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Yep Colan I've noticed and think the same as you do. Thanks for bringing it up.

I feel this is a privacy issue for those that CHOOSE to hide address because they don't want it showing up to the public. Could even be a safety/security issue for someone like a home-based tow truck driver that does not want people to know where he AND HIS FAMILY lives!!!

The privacy issue was not QUITE as bad when address only showed in MM because most consumers don't know to check there. BUT now that they can see it right on the page via edit details, I think it's a bigger concern!

And I also have expressed concerns to Google that having address showing in MM could be causing compliant listings to be deleted if moderators are seeing the address in MM and have no way of knowing the address is properly hidden in dash.

My address shows in MM. And I got a call from moderators even though MY address was hidden in dash. They wanted to delete me. I knew enough to scream 2 times at the guy who could not understand English "My address is hidden in the dashboard. My listing is compliant. Please do not delete my listing!"

But what SMB is going to know to say that???

Actually in Advanced G+ L training I have a section that covers how to coach SAB clients about the whole issue of dealing with Google moderator calls, so they don't get deleted and above is one of the things I cover.

So I think for those 2 reasons this is a pretty big deal. I know it's been brought up to Google but I don't remember what they said if anything. I may alert them to this thread and bring it up again.

Reaction score
Yep Colan I've noticed and think the same as you do. Thanks for bringing it up.

I feel this is a privacy issue for those that CHOOSE to hide address because they don't want it showing up to the public. Could even be a safety/security issue for someone like a home-based tow truck driver that does not want people to know where he AND HIS FAMILY lives!!!

The privacy issue was not QUITE as bad when address only showed in MM because most consumers don't know to check there. BUT now that they can see it right on the page via edit details, I think it's a bigger concern!

And I also have expressed concerns to Google that having address showing in MM could be causing compliant listings to be deleted if moderators are seeing the address in MM and have no way of knowing the address is properly hidden in dash.

My address shows in MM. And I got a call from moderators even though MY address was hidden in dash. They wanted to delete me. I knew enough to scream 2 times at the guy who could not understand English "My address is hidden in the dashboard. My listing is compliant. Please do not delete my listing!"

But what SMB is going to know to say that???

Actually in Advanced G+ L training I have a section that covers how to coach SAB clients about the whole issue of dealing with Google moderator calls, so they don't get deleted and above is one of the things I cover.

So I think for those 2 reasons this is a pretty big deal. I know it's been brought up to Google but I don't remember what they said if anything. I may alert them to this thread and bring it up again.
Its great for fighting spam, not so good for people who want to hide their address to the public. The address is showing in EBD because it is Map Maker as stated by the TOS at the bottom.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C Hidden Address Now Visible When User Clicks "Edit Business Details" Service Area Businesses 2
L How to reset the address that has been hidden on GMB, if they move locations? Local Search 1
L Does selecting a service area for hidden address business have negative effects? Moving or Name Changes 1
Charles Jenkins SCHEMA For local business with address hidden? Local Search 1
S Is it possible to verify two SAB businesses with the same address if the address will be hidden? Service Area Businesses 2
dave101 Shown vs Hidden Address on Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 3
A Unable to Submit for Hidden Addresses Help & Support for Google Local 2
B Grid-type tools for service-area biz with hidden address? Local SEO Tools & Software 4
Rich Owings SAB with hidden address moving their office - How to handle in GMB? Service Area Businesses 5
Yan Gilbert (Wrong) Directions to Hidden Addresses showing on Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 3
snysarah Does address change impact proximity signal if it's hidden? Service Area Businesses 13
Oleg Donets Citations building for SABs with hidden addresses NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
O SAB W/ Hidden Address - Do they count as a citation in ranking juice? Service Area Businesses 2
onebluesummer SAB W/ Hidden Address - Do they count as a citation in ranking juice? Service Area Businesses 2
Linda Buquet Service Area Businesses with Hidden Address Missing from Google Search Map? Google My Business & Google Maps 39
Erim Foster Fixing or removing erroneous citations for SAB with hidden address Citations 8
V Reporting SPAM when addresses are hidden... how? Local Search 5
Weve Got Your Customers Google Maps Calls Businesses With Address Hidden? Local Search 2
shondarogers Business Address Was Hidden in Places But is now merged and address is showing - Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Amber Robinson Map Maker, Hidden Address and Do Not Support Help & Support for Google Local 6
C Re: Merged Hidden Address Service Area Business Help & Support for Google Local 7
F BUG Warning - Check Address to be Sure Still Hidden Service Area Businesses 57
F BUG Warning - Check Address to be Sure Still Hidden Service Area Businesses 57
Andrew Forster Hidden Address, Service Based Business - Google Removal Question Local Search 10
C Citations with hidden address Citations 5
Phil Rozek Street Address Showing Even When It's Been "Hidden" Service Area Businesses 9
P Street Address Showing Even When It's Been "Hidden" Service Area Businesses 9
Brian Reynolds Re: Service Area Business w/ Hidden Address - G+ Business Page Merge Help & Support for Google Local 8
WineCountryCarpetCleaning Address still showing after hidden in places Help & Support for Google Local 13
G Merged Hidden Address Service Area Business - Should Not Have Help & Support for Google Local 0
WineCountryCarpetCleaning Merged Hidden Address Service Area Business - Should Not Have Help & Support for Google Local 20
L Service Area Business w/ Hidden Address - IMPORTANT UPDATE G+ Business Page Merge Service Area Businesses 25
Linda Buquet Service Area Business w/ Hidden Address - IMPORTANT UPDATE G+ Business Page Merge Service Area Businesses 25
Colan Nielsen Hidden Address Still Displays on Map Maker Local Search 2
Linda Buquet Service Area Businesses with Hidden Address - Can't Merge Your G+ Business Page Yet Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Local Search News Curator Invisible Businesses with Hidden Map Markers Due to Google Places Hide Your Address R Recycle Bin 0
J Negative Google Reviews that have been hidden behind fake business Moving or Name Changes 10
Garrett Sussman Are You Losing 5 Star Reviews to Hidden Customer Expectations? Local Reviews 2
Linda Buquet Don't Rank in the Google Local 3 Pack? Here are Some Hidden Reasons - Joy Hawkins Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Linda Buquet The Hidden Dangers of Being a Local Search Consultant - IMPORTANT Consultant's Corner 24
W Hidden benefit of seasonal GBV tours Google Business View 1
W Hidden benefit of seasonal GBV tours Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Colan Nielsen 7 Hidden Google Maps Tricks Google My Business & Google Maps 0
B Hidden Merged Dupes under 2 account I control - what to do? Google Duplicates & Merges 14
BrendanT Hidden Merged Dupes under 2 account I control - what to do? Google Duplicates & Merges 14
J Do I have a hidden dupe/merged listing? Google Duplicates & Merges 16
Jamie Steigerwald Do I have a hidden dupe/merged listing? Google Duplicates & Merges 16
Linda Buquet Hidden Listings, Local Ranking & Algo Changes with the New Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 11
A Single word spam? MALWARE WARNING Hidden java Recycle Bin 4
R Categories Show Up Out of Order - Main Category is Hidden on G+ Local page. NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 19