More threads by WAHamilton

WAHamilton

Reaction score
This is a weird one, so I'm hoping that your bright minds/collective experience will be able to help me.

I am doing work for a home builder who wants to list their model home/sales office as a GmB location. The only problem is that the model home is located in a new development that does not exist on Google Maps yet. The office can receive mail, so they could technically verify their location with a postcard, but only part of the street is not showing in maps -- and their current location seems to be located in the middle of a field.

The client is asking me, "how do we get Google to drive around with the car and the camera?", which is a hilarious question -- but the truth is I am kinda stumped. Does anyone know what Google's process is for adding new developments/streets to maps? Do we just have to wait or is there some way to flag these things and speed the process along?

Thanks in advance!

Hey there,

That does sound like quite a pickle! By the looks of things, you could submit feedback to Google Maps as this issue would technically count as a "missing" road — something Google considers a possible criteria for feedback. You could also try adding a missing place. That said, I don't think either of those options will lead Google to send a camera round to your client's location!

As you'd expect, Google doesn't take street view mapping requests, but you can recommend an area for an imagery update, which might be worth doing.

I'd suggest trying either or both of the options above and then popping Google a message directly to let them know. Other than that, it seems like you might be in for a bit of a waiting game here, unfortunately!

Those are good tips. Also, I would navigate to the model home using Google Maps and hope they ask for feedback on accuracy.

And talk to the local 111 coordinator. In the U.S., county 911 coordinators are usually part of the process for officially adding new streets. If that's not the case in NZ, perhaps they can tell you who does that there.

Thanks for the advice guys! I have submitted feedback to Google and I guess that I'll have to play the waiting game for now.

The county 911 coordinator is a really good suggestion, so I'll look into that further. The client is actually in Canada, so I'll have to figure out how to do that from abroad.

Much appreciated :)

Contact a local Street View trusted pro, this is the old Google Trusted Photographer program. They have a higher level of access w/ photos in GMB, including the ability to edit the Street View for a location.

Thanks for the suggestion @CraigJMount! This is great info for down the road, but I think I should've clarified something. It isn't that there's no street view for the road -- it's that the road literally doesn't exist in Google Maps right now.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom