More threads by Tim Colling

Tim Colling

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi - I have a client with a dupe listing problem on Yahoo local. The dupe contains their old name and address but also their correct current phone number. The client changed its name a few years ago and also moved to a new town.

The correct entry is at:
https://local.yahoo.com/info-142851631-caring-connection-incorporated-bel-air

The dupe is at:
https://local.yahoo.com/info-98741319-seniors-1st-of-maryland-fallston

Is there any way to get that duplicate suppressed or at least get the NAP corrected. I tried to claim it and correct it but their process seems to only be a funnel to get you to buy into Yext, which we don't want to do.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

Thanks!

As far as I know Yext is the only real way to suppress it. Yahoo went pretty far in with Yext as a resell partner for their service. I know Yahoo support kind of went south a few months ago, so they really don't help anyone with free listings. Not sure if anyone else has any other thoughts how to fix that; outside of either buying Yext or trying to correct it downstream and waiting...

Some of the data is provided by infogroup, so have you checked for the incorrect info there? It would definitely take a while to see it get resolved, but that might be your next best shot to investigate.

... Not sure if anyone else has any other thoughts how to fix that; outside of either buying Yext or trying to correct it downstream and waiting...Some of the data is provided by infogroup, so have you checked for the incorrect info there? It would definitely take a while to see it get resolved, but that might be your next best shot to investigate.

Thank you for responding and I appreciate your help!

What would correcting it "downstream" look like, i.e., how would we do that? I will check on the infogroup idea.

As far as I know Yext is the only real way to suppress it. Yahoo went pretty far in with Yext as a resell partner for their service. I know Yahoo support kind of went south a few months ago, so they really don't help anyone with free listings...

Last edited by a moderator:
I kind of feel like Yahoo has somewhat given up on Local Search. They're using Yelp reviews and have become a Yext partner. Not sure if Yahoo really cares about developing their own foothold in local search.

Thank you. That looks promising! :D

Hey Tim,

What Eric said.

I really would suggest ignoring Yahoo altogether. It's a non-entity now, and not worth the heartache. Having correct business info there never affected your "NAP consistency" anyway, even when Yahoo mattered in its own right.

Crazy. I thought they were becoming Luminate but I guess that was just their small business division, which they dropped that name anyway and are becoming Aabaco Small Business. Their small/local stuff looks like a mess.

According that that article linked earlier, you can submit a claim. Does that mean they won't add you to Yahoo Local if you're a new business?

Oh and P.S. to answer your question, I have no idea how to work with their duplicates. BUT, I've had strange success with Yahoo Local lately. So, maybe that will give you some hope. I mean, sure, I submitted the changes months ago but now they're happening. I thought I would submit the change and they would just be lost forever. They're pulling Yelp data so maybe that's where they're picking the changes up from. Who knows with them.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Oh and P.S. to answer your question, I have no idea how to work with their duplicates. BUT, I've had strange success with Yahoo Local lately. So, maybe that will give you some hope. I mean, sure, I submitted the changes months ago but now they're happening. I thought I would submit the change and they would just be lost forever. They're pulling Yelp data so maybe that's where they're picking the changes up from. Who knows with them.

When you say you've had success, you're referring to just updating existing listings on Yahoo rather than removing duplicates?

As far as I know Yext is the only real way to suppress it. Yahoo went pretty far in with Yext as a resell partner for their service. I know Yahoo support kind of went south a few months ago, so they really don't help anyone with free listings. Not sure if anyone else has any other thoughts how to fix that; outside of either buying Yext or trying to correct it downstream and waiting...

Some of the data is provided by infogroup, so have you checked for the incorrect info there? It would definitely take a while to see it get resolved, but that might be your next best shot to investigate.

Eric, does Yahoo really use InfoUSA?

I'm with Phil on this one. Yahoo has lost it's proverbial footing in the local citation arena.

For the record, I found out InfoUSA still provides data to Yahoo. But considered Yahoo just switched to Aabaco, and presumably Yext, who knows if they will still pull data from InfoUSA from here on out.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom