Reaction score
I'm working with a endodontist who has a claimed Google Maps listing. My client doesn't recall claiming it but he said it's possible. Either way, he has no logins to it as it would have been claimed "a long time ago." Furthermore, he said it was likely a staff employee that set it up that is no longer with him.

My client moved his office to a neighboring city so we now have an address change (telephone number stayed the same). In addition, the listing is a practitioner listing (i.e. John Smith, DDS). We'd like it to be the name of his practice instead (i.e. Happy Smiles).

My questions are this...

1. How do I obtain ownership to a claimed listing? When I went through Google My Business I attempted to claim it and a message popped up that it was claimed already by someone else. There was a link to "Request Ownership," which I did. Is this all I have to do or are there more steps involved? It said if the current owner doesn't respond in 7 days I'll have an opportunity to claim it. I have no idea what that means.

2. Assuming I get control of the listing, can I change the business name and the address - or do I have to close this listing and create a new one?

3. If I can't get control of the current listing, what do I do? Do I just create a new listing?

Thanks,

Travis

Reaction score
Yes, only 1 doctor. Sorry. I should have provided that info originally.

Joy...do you have any blog posts on how to uncover duplicate listings these days (especially now that Map Maker is closed)? I want to check to be sure this client doesn't have any duplicates. No other listings come up except this one but I haven't done a deep dive yet. It's possible he has a listing for just his practice and I haven't uncovered it.

Travis

Is there more than 1 doctor or is he the only practitioner at the practice?

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
I wrote up detailed instructions on how to find them in the guide that is selling over at LocalU but I haven't published any yet. I will probably do one as a post for Moz next month. Before you can consolidate these 2 listings you will need to get the old one unverified first. Then you can ask GMB to mark the old one as moved to the new one. You will need to be really clear with them that this is a solo practitioner or they won't do it.

Reaction score
Thanks Joy! I'll buzz over to LocalU and check out the guide you're referring to.

Take care,

Travis

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
JoyHawkins [Technical Issue] Don't Change the Address on Service Area Business Listings Google News: Important Changes & Features 5
S Changing the address of a SAB business Service Area Businesses 3
P Change of Address - Do We Update Citations? Citations 2
KristiSimone Change to reviews from same IP address? Local Reviews 6
Travis Van Slooten Client's 3+ Year GMB Listing Uses UPS Address (Leave As-Is or Change)? Moving or Name Changes 6
Tim Colling Address change to "unstick" new GMB listing stuck in "Review" Google My Business & Google Maps 2
G What's the best way for my business to handle a change of address? Local Search 8
H Site Change of Address issue in Google Search Console Organic SEO 2
Dino What's the best way to change address? Citations 23
snysarah Does address change impact proximity signal if it's hidden? Service Area Businesses 13
Rich Owings Will change of address trigger reverification? Help & Support for Google Local 23
Creativedge Google is changing my address? Help & Support for Google Local 5
petrakraft Address change of streets and numbers by the village government Google My Business & Google Maps 2
V Best Practices - Change of Address Google My Business & Google Maps 8
M 2nd Address Change - Abandon And Re-start Or Go For It?? Local Search 1
M Google makes Global Address Changes Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Tim Colling Changing from listing with address to "service area business" Help & Support for Google Local 10
Jo Shaer Change from SAB to physical address Google My Business & Google Maps 5
S Address Changed - Client Ranking Dropped Help & Support for Google Local 4
Adamk 500+ Locations and Home Addresses That Change every Few Years Google My Business & Google Maps 1
R Address Change without Changing Phone Number Local Search 2
K Google Changed our Address format, and we're nearly invisible Help & Support for Google Local 7
N Change of address with new Google+ Local listing Moving or Name Changes 2
Nick Rink Change of address with new Google+ Local listing Moving or Name Changes 2
John Tabita Questions about changing address / business name on local listings Google My Business & Google Maps 9
J NAP-Changing an address on google+ week #3 Google My Business & Google Maps 5
D Google Changed My Address (Street Name) Help & Support for Google Local 9
R Multiple Businesses with Same Phone Number & Address - Change One? Local Search 0
dboi941 Change Address so I can Close the location. Help & Support for Google Local 8
R Address Research Methods before Changing Online NAP Listings? Local Search 2
L How to reset the address that has been hidden on GMB, if they move locations? Local Search 1
L Does selecting a service area for hidden address business have negative effects? Moving or Name Changes 1
S How to remove a GMB from maps of a previous owner who ran 3 businesses from the same address Google My Business & Google Maps 6
valentinb13 GMB uses residential address—but client wants to use PO Box for other citations... Citations 3
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Two Different Business Places at the Same Address: Should I Add Them to GMB? Local Search 1
B Will Removing Addresses for Multiple State SAB Result in Dup Listing or Suspension? Service Area Businesses 4
M Google keeps reverting our clients address, no matter how many times we send a postcard Moving or Name Changes 4
S GMB Address Update for SAB Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Dino Google not updating an address. Any ideas? Moving or Name Changes 2
A Multiple service based locations in different provinces with one physical address Multi-Location Issues 1
J Trying to figure out correct address format for GMB profile Moving or Name Changes 4
petrakraft Wrong location of an address in Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Charles Jenkins SCHEMA For local business with address hidden? Local Search 1
P GMB Physical Address Keeps Reverting Local Search 4
LocalSEODat Need help with a suspended GMB - Client had home address as place of biz, then suspended. Fixed to meet customers and got reply with no reason Service Area Businesses 6
Travis Van Slooten Hard Suspension of GMB Listing: Multiple Businesses at Same Address? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
F How To Determine a Good GMB Address? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
P Is it possible to create a second GMB page for a new business based at same address and landline? Multi-Location Issues 1
P How to clain GMB with wrong address? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
NevenaIvanova Adding Floor to Hotel's address? Google My Business & Google Maps 3