Reaction score
My organization is having issues with listings being suspended for "suspicious activity" at an alarming rate. Completely legitimate changes to the listing now feels like an automatic suspension. Has there been a change in how sensitive the flagging is? 100% of our listings get reinstated within 24hrs with the changes keeping. It's really harming our relationship with our clients. We read the guidelines over and over. Sometimes it's even with a brand new client. We go in, correct their name or categories and bam, suspended. Reinstated within 24hrs.

How is this a good system? What can we do to avoid this? We live in fear that any change will suspend the listings. Thanks!

Last edited:

BenFisher

Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
The increase in sensitivity is usually due to the category associated with the listing. What categories are you suspended clients in?

This is also what is considered a manual review and is a measure to preserve the integrity of GMB data, also is a big spam fighting measure that has been put forward by GMB. The good news is like you said, they get reinstated quickly.

We warn our clients that there is a possibility of a suspension, so they are aware and can tell us to not make changes.

If you want to open a thread on the community with dashboard URL examples and what edits caused the suspensions along with case IDs showing the reinstatement, I can pass this to the GMB team for review. PM me the thread.

Reaction score
The increase in sensitivity is usually due to the category associated with the listing. What categories are you suspended clients in?
Thanks Ben! The business's are wide ranging, from law firms, to energy, to music stores. I see your article in your signature, bookmarking that! Looking forward to any update to that article, thanks!

Reaction score
Twice now we've been asked to re-verify locations and we put the code in and are immediately suspended again. WTF is going on with GMB?

Reaction score
@Ben, let's say my organization account has been shadow flagged for higher sensitivity. What will end it? Do we not update sensitive areas? Not update as often? Or say f-it and just work with reinstatements every time and hope we don't get a hard suspension some time.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Colan Nielsen Increase Qualified Leads by 35% and Grow Your Business with Juvo Leads LSF News and Announcements 0
NexstarNickR Google Local Service Ads: Price Increases due to Bidding Rollout Paid Search and Local Service Ads 3
H How would you interpret increasing discovery views, decreasing phone calls? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
T Guest Posting To Increase Your Traffic And Google Rankings. Contact Us Messages 1
Jannell Howell Increase in locked Google accounts? Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
TammyT Does city in business name increase local pack visibility Local Search 7
cleverlyengaged GMB Insights Views on Maps Increasing over Search Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Oliver Keates What are the best practices for increasing my GMB listing Local Search 6
Oliver Keates Optimising Current Citations To Increase Ranking Google My Business & Google Maps 7
H Appointment link increases appointments by 20% Local Search 13
Linda Buquet OK Google... Searches Increasing - This is Gonna be Fun! Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Gsmithmike Spam listings Increasing? - Is it possible Local Search 4
Linda Buquet Increase Conversions, Don't Just Drive Traffic - Partner with Zoho SalesIQ Consultant's Corner 1
L What strategies do you use to increase customer reviews on your client's Google page? Local Reviews 8
Mary Banned: How to increase traffic flow in our website ? Recycle Bin 1
heckler Increases in Bing traffic referred? Organic SEO 0
M Google Location Insights - Sharp Increase in activity Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Linda Buquet Ranking Shakeups, Mike Reports Increase in Packs & Real Estate Listings are Back Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Chris Ratchford Googlebot for smartphones found an increase in "page not found" errors Organic SEO 1
Linda Buquet Moz Local Updates + Price Increase Coming Local SEO Tools & Software 7
C Increase followers Google My Business & Google Maps 3
B Website updates: Has anyone noticed increase in rankings to sites regularly updated? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Linda Buquet How to Retain Local Search Clients & Increase Revenue Consultant's Corner 1
JoyHawkins Does Merging your G+ Local and Business Page Result in Increased Ranking Local Search 6
Genna_Local_SEO Number and Frequency of Google Reviews Local Reviews 11
CodyBaird Frequency of Google Reviews & Complete Review Strategy in a Nutshell Local Reviews 7
Hammer Site manager trying to get listing ownership All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
J Getting Rid of Incorrect Highlights in GMB mobile listing ( highlights you can't update on back end ) Google My Business & Google Maps 1
A Old listing reflects the wrong information - But there's a twist. Google Duplicates & Merges 1
JoyHawkins Get Live Inventory Displayed on Your Google My Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 6
greenworld_ Adding a new location extension for a separate GMB listing Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
M Removing old GMB listing from previous owner of premises Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Professor M New Local European Local listing removals Process Google My Business & Google Maps 1
1 GMB Listing Disabled after updating address... Google My Business & Google Maps 12
TriciaClements 3 Businesses - how to handle GMB listings for SAB? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
M Bar within hotel appearing in place of main hotel listing Help & Support for Google Local 6
Scott Rawlins GMB Listing in Greece Google My Business & Google Maps 4
RobertCarnitas GMB Spam for 'Located In' business - Does it affect the GMB listing for the business that is located inside it? Spam on Google 3
G Internet marketing company and map listings? Help & Support for Google Local 4
D New GMB listing possible due to acquisition of company? Service Area Businesses 3
Elmer .S How to delete duplicate Claimed listings on Yelp? Citations 5
L Multiple Listing Against Guidelines? Multi-Location Issues 4
Jen Currier Would you set up an Architect client with a Hybrid/SAB GMB listing if the location was residential? Service Area Businesses 2
Colan Nielsen NEW Claim your listing on BrightLocal's Agency Directory: Get in front of relevant customers and win leads LSF News and Announcements 3
TriciaClements Realtor Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 14
jross Incomplete GMB Listing Error? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Annika Neudecker Mysteriously vanishing GMB listings Google My Business & Google Maps 5
S Old Listing Hijacked by another business Spam on Google 2
WAHamilton Main listing filtered by duplicate, after duplicate is marked as 'closed' Google Duplicates & Merges 6
A Listing suspended due to account manager spamming? Google advise to create new GMB Local Search 13