More threads by RobinOctane

Reaction score
Hey there,

For some listings they won't let you create another listing from the same IP address.

What do you do?

Hide your IP, is there an easy workaround?

Obviously if you do SEO you are going to handle multiple clients from one IP.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Robin,

That was pretty generic. Can you explain more?

Are you talking G+ L? If so, what part of the process is telling you that? Claiming a new listing? In Places dash or somewhere else???

What screen gives you that message and exactly what does it say?

Or are you talking citations in general? Or something else???

Sorry it's for Acxiom, a new listing.

I didn't want to name names because I once got kicked off a forum for a naming a company. The mods thought it was "sneaky" question and I was trying to be devious, when honestly I was just looking for general information.

@ Robin

When a site tracks an IP address I usually create a short "how to" video for the client and they take care of it.

Sorry it's for Acxiom, a new listing.

I didn't want to name names because I once got kicked off a forum for a naming a company. The mods thought it was "sneaky" question and I was trying to be devious, when honestly I was just looking for general information.

Ahhh, too funny.

Well here we can't really answer if we don't know which one you are talking about. Plus we know you. Plus your Q neither puts the company down OR promotes them so would never be an issue.

Sorry, but I don't have an answer.

But now that I know the question, I'm moving this from general local search to the Citation forum. That way Darren and others that specialize in citations will be more likely to catch it.

We have created instructions with screenshots to walk our clients through.

I love dusty's video idea.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Yeah, DustyBones and Colan's advice is solid - get the client to do it with detailed instructions. If you know they can't do it, you could use a proxy service such as Proxy Bonanza to get a different IP.

Yeah this little "feature" of Acxiom is incredibly annoying.

Your best bet is to either have the client do it or use Proxy's or a VPN. I can recommend HMA VPN or Private Internet Access. I've used both and they're both solid even if HMA's logo is a little crude.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can claim up to 5 listings at one IP address. After that they charge.

This might be helpful to those who do work for multiple clients from one office.

For each client it's always a good idea to use a fresh browser - clear cache, cookies and offline data/temporary files. This can save a lot of problems with accounts getting crossed or connected on different sites.

Most sites, including Google have no problem with multiple accounts on the same IP. (Google does give messages if it is in a different country, but also looks at computer, OS, browser etc.)

The following sites are the very few that we have found to need proxies:

Zipleaf - keeps IP for about 1 month. 1 listing per IP
Acxiom - 1 listing per IP
Shoplocally - 1 Listing per IP. Can create listing but later deleted.
Quora - Moderated for spam accounts, IP is a factor
Facebook -Monitors a lot, can get accounts locked.
Craigslist - Local IP's are good to have.

If you get some private proxies I would recommend checking out a Firefox Add-On called FoxyProxy. You can easily rotate through saved proxies and clear browser cache with one click.

Anyone willing to share an example of the video they created? I'd love to have an example in mind before I started a similar project myself.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom