More threads by TomGuard

TomGuard

Reaction score
This has probably been addressed before.

I'm noticing that SABs perform much better in proximity to the verification address that is hidden, than the actual service areas entered in GMB. We have a listing where the verification address is 2.7 miles (4.3 km) away from the closest zip code of the service areas listed in GMB. Yet, this listing comes up better in the 3 pack for the zip code of the verification address that is out of the service area.

Would you say that Google is putting more weight on the verification address than the service area?

If GMB allows the address to be hidden for SABs, when adding service areas, why would the listing be more prominent in proximity to the verification address?

It's all based on the address. Service areas don't have anything to do with ranking in those areas. It only shows the service area outline in Maps. It's very difficult to rank locally in areas outside of the office/address location. Best bet in to try and rank organically in those areas.

This has always been a big problem with the google maps platform in my opinion. For the customers of SABs, proximity to the verification address has NOTHING to do with them being the best SAB for the job. If the SAB comes to the customer to deliver the service, why does it matter where the maps pin was verified? The algorithm clearly does not create a good user experience in this case. It does make google more money though, because SABs end up buying more ads to show up farther away. Lame.

For example, I needed work done on my sewer drain. The SABs showing up in maps closest to me were horrible. The best one was in a far away suburb, not ranking at all for searches near me. I didn't care because they drove to me. I did waste a lot of time calling and meeting with bad plumbers near me though.

Last edited:
This has always been a big problem with the google maps platform in my opinion. For the customers of SABs, proximity to the verification address has NOTHING to do with them being the best SAB for the job. If the SAB comes to the customer to deliver the service, why does it matter where the maps pin was verified? The algorithm clearly does not create a good user experience in this case. It does make google more money though, because SABs end up buying more ads to show up farther away. Lame.

For example, I needed work done on my sewer drain. The SABs showing up in maps closest to me were horrible. The best one was in a far away suburb, not ranking at all for searches near me. I didn't care because they drove to me. I did waste a lot of time calling and meeting with bad plumbers near me though.

Well that´s why you can leave reviews so that bad rated companies don't show up at the top. As for local search, how would you evaluate the value of a business, other than proximity, if you don't know anything else about the business?

Well that´s why you can leave reviews so that bad rated companies don't show up at the top. As for local search, how would you evaluate the value of a business, other than proximity, if you don't know anything else about the business?

Bad reviews are not more powerful than proximity, that is one of the big issues.
Also, many businesses have no reviews or just one or two which tells you very little.

Incidentally, a massive ads budget also has nothing to do with a business being the best SAB for the job, but google gladly ranks them higher than everyone else as long as they pay. Of course, its google's property so they can do whatever they want. I'm just taking issue with their fake claim of "a good user experience."

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom