getphound

Reaction score
We're soon launching a decent size initiative to ~15,000+ businesses in three industries (in a 50 mile radius): home services, lawyers, and medical practices.

My question is regarding a debate I've been having, specifically with the lawyers and medical practices.

The debate, specifically, is whether to target small (less than 500K revenue) or medium (500K+ revenue) businesses.

The packages we're offering are very reasonable and revolve some of our primary services such as website management and social media marketing. Packages generally are in the $250-500/month range.

There are pros and cons to targeting the small as well as the medium, but I want to start with one.

Which would you choose and why?

Thanks for your input.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Thanks so much for posting Kali. :) That's a great question!

Due to RSI pain I can't reply right now, plus don't have a good answer for this question.
However hopefully some of the Local Search consultants here will reply.

I'll Tweet for you to try to get some insights. Hardly anyone is online here on weekends though, so will try to remember to Tweet it tomorrow for you if we don't get any replies by then.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Just Tweeted to see if we can get a good discussion going around this for you, Kali.

Thanks for asking a great question!

(I can't mouse with either hand now, so am trying to get used to a Trackball +
MOUSE CLICKING WITH MY FOOT. And trying to retrain Dragon all at the same time.
So I'm not even going to try to write a book to share my thoughts like I normally would.)

What do you guys think?

HoosierBuff

Reaction score
A few quick thoughts:

1. I would hope that the price is different for the medium sized businesses vs. the small businesses. There can be a real big difference between those two groups, they may need different things, or one may require more services than the other.

2. I think a lot of this decision depends on how you are acquiring customers. Is it a sales force? Is it online? Is it a call center?

Both of those verticals get a lot of attention. There are a lot of different people offering solutions there . . . yet, so many are in need of help. The trouble with the small offices is that they are cheap, and the bigger offices are slower to decide and then demanding (too many cooks).

I think a lot of this depends on your model.

leadjoint

Reaction score
Personally I prefer the local small over the medium businesses. The buyers' mindset of both these businesses are typically the same (like budget constraints, not too aware of how SEO works, asking for guarantees, etc.). But small business segments (like local services) have typically lower competition and so is easier to rank with the budget they afford.

Medium business segments have higher competition and is sometimes difficult to show results in the timeframe they expect to see changes. Not that it is not manageable, but for my own sanity, I prefer to work with the smaller local businesses.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
John Ennis Long-term Consulting Opportunity in DC - Local Search Lead Local SEO Job Board 0
Linda Buquet Local Search Consultants - GOALs for 2017? Consultant's Corner 14
Linda Buquet Important for Local Search Consultants - Survey: Fees Charged, Revenue Earned & more Consultant's Corner 3
Linda Buquet Huge List of Mission Critical CRM & Business Tools for Local Search Consultants Local SEO Tools & Software 0
Eric Rohrback Best Verticals to Consult in? Q for Local Search Consultants Consultant's Corner 9
Linda Buquet Local Search Consultants - How Do you Organize Client Project Management? Consultant's Corner 13
Linda Buquet Local Search Webinar for Consultants: Selling to SMBs in 2015 from Street Fight Consultant's Corner 0
Linda Buquet Consultants: Have you Tried PEEK for your Local Search Clients Yet? Consultant's Corner 18
Linda Buquet The Hidden Dangers of Being a Local Search Consultant - IMPORTANT Consultant's Corner 24
D 5 Step Guide to Multi-location SEO for Local Search Consultants Multi-Location Issues 1
Dustybones 5 Step Guide to Multi-location SEO for Local Search Consultants Multi-Location Issues 1
Linda Buquet Local Search Consultants - Think With Google Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Linda Buquet Local Search Consultants: Stop Spinning Your Wheels & Get More Customers by Phil Consultant's Corner 7
Linda Buquet Hard Core Local SEO Audit Resources for Local Search Consultants Consultant's Corner 1
Linda Buquet Local SEO Strategy and Checklist for Local Search Consultants Consultant's Corner 0
Linda Buquet Lessons for Local Search Consultants coming out of "Leading In Local" Event Consultant's Corner 4
Linda Buquet How To Build your Local Search Consulting Business - Most Awesome List of Resources Consultant's Corner 5
Linda Buquet How to Avoid & Solve Local SEO Client Conflicts - For Local Search Consultants Consultant's Corner 0
Linda Buquet How to be an Independent Local Search Consultant in an Over-Complicated World Consultant's Corner 0
Linda Buquet Free Local SEO Checklist for Local Search Consultants Local SEO Tools & Software 9
Linda Buquet How to Get New Clients - Local Search Consulting Q & A Consultant's Corner 3
Linda Buquet Pricing Strategies for Local Search Consultants Consultant's Corner 1
Linda Buquet Jumpstart Your Local Search Consulting Business Consultant's Corner 13
Local Search News Curator NEW Local Search Forum Launches ? Tons of Resources for Local SEO Consultants Recycle Bin 0
R NEW Local Search Forum Launches ? Tons of Resources for Local SEO Consultants Recycle Bin 0
W Local Search Ecosystem Diagram Local SEO Tools & Software 1
djbaxter Brightlocal Tool shows Large Google Local Search Algorithm Update March 10, 2021 Google Algorithm Discussions 1
djbaxter New Local SEO tool from BrightLocal: Local Search Grid Local SEO Tools & Software 7
N Dedicated local search Local Search 12
djbaxter Webinar The State of Local Search 2021 [Webinar + Q&A] Events 0
SpectateSwamp How about discussing local search... Like the Spectate one; everything a 50+ years of programming Geezer wants Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 3
Eoghan_MFeed Looking for a SaaS but more importantly Local Search experienced product managers 🔍 Local SEO Job Board 0
Brian Barwig How to Win at Local Search with Service Area Businesses Service Area Businesses 3
D Dynamic local city webpage to satisfy [search term] + "near me" queries Service Area Businesses 2
djbaxter A bit of a new look for the Local Search Forum Forum Software Updates and Technical Issues 2
whitespark Whitespark Local Search Summit: September 15 - 17, 2020 Events 3
Gsmithmike The most accurate Tool to show Local Search Result for Geo Targeting keywords? Local SEO Tools & Software 3
A Local Search beginner guide Recycle Bin 0
Creativedge Is the Facebook page name important for local search? Local Search 1
Colan Nielsen Most Active Local Search Forum Members May 2020 LSF News and Announcements 0
djbaxter Webinar Brightlocal Local Search Clinic with Andrew Shotland Events 0
djbaxter Webinar Local Search Clinic with Ben Fisher May 27 @ 8am PT/11am ET Events 3
Colan Nielsen Most Active Local Search Forum Members April 2020 LSF News and Announcements 1
A I want to join local search forum Contact Us Messages 1
djbaxter Webinar Local Search Clinic with Joy Hawkins May 20 @ 8am PT/11am ET Events 2
georgebizpro Local Search Falcon - Competitor Zip Codes Google My Business & Google Maps 1
StephanieNewton Local Search Clinic with Phil Rozek (Online Reviews) Local Reviews 1
L Local search query showing Knowledge Graph instead of Local Listings box Google My Business & Google Maps 3
djbaxter Webinar Local Search Clinic with Jason Brown Events 0
Colan Nielsen Most Active Local Search Forum Members March 2020 LSF News and Announcements 2