Reaction score
In the past when searching Google Maps, if I click on any of the search results on the left side, the Google My Business info for that business would slide out and be displayed. But that's not happening for me today. Today if I click Google Maps search result, I get nothing. Anyone else? Here's a screen capture video: 2018-10-03_1411

Timothy

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed the local search results behaving differently this past week or so? It feels like Google is in the process of rolling out some update.

I've specifically seen:
  • Clicks from SERPs to Google Maps through the Knowledge Graph are not bringing up the business listing. It autofills the business name, but you have to click search.
  • The local stack of 20 businesses when you click through local pack - Can't click on the business profiles on the left. No way to expand sections.
Both of these things seem to be fixed as of publishing this thread, but I'm logging it here because this wasn't the first time I saw it.

Seems to be a disconnect between local search and Google Maps.

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
@PaulSteinbrueck,

First - thank you for the video. Without it I would have had no idea what you were talking about :LOL:

I'm not experiencing that at all. It could be an extension you have installed in your browser that's blocking it. Sometimes I find stuff on Google breaks and then realize my Javascript plugin on Chrome is what did it. Try another browser to confirm that.

Reaction score
@JoyHawkins thanks for your reply and for combining the threads.

@Timothy Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

I have tried in Chrome and Firefox. I also asked 2 members of my team and they are experiencing the same thing. Is there a way to report problems like this to Google?

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm still experiencing an issue that sounds related. Clicking on the map in the KP for a business I was looking at took me to maps but looked like this which sounds the same as what Timothy described.

Bill Blurr.jpg

I'll escalate this to Google to see if it's all related and whether or not it is a bug or something else.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Annika Neudecker Mysteriously vanishing GMB listings Google My Business & Google Maps 5
djbaxter Google Ads bug: That mysterious f.txt download file Websites, Software, and Security 0
D GMB Restaurant Menus Mystery Source Google My Business & Google Maps 6
C What's the Mystery Ranking Factor Here? Ranking Puzzles 12
RSWHTN Mysterious Location Based SERP Disappearance Local Search 0
ccbackus Yahoo! Local Listings - Aabaco - Yext - Anyone solve the mystery? Local Search 30
Linda Buquet Solving Local Ranking Mysteries & Local Expert QA - SMX Liveblogs via Bruce Clay Local Search 6
joedillon68 Facebook Location Pages Mysteriously Created... Local Search 0
H small mystery. . . Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Linda Buquet Unravelling the Mystery of Bad NAP Data - Whitespark Citations 2
Dave Cosper The Mysterious Colored Dot Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Jo Shaer Mystery of the changing Google+ Local page profile pic images Google My Business & Google Maps 7
L Google Local Ranking Mystery - Location Settings Backwards Ranking Puzzles 16
Linda Buquet Google Local Ranking Mystery - Location Settings Backwards Ranking Puzzles 16
Lachlan_Wells Accept/Discard Google Updates - Does this feature work for you? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
TriciaClements Cover Photo not updating Google My Business & Google Maps 7
J Getting Rid of Incorrect Highlights in GMB mobile listing ( highlights you can't update on back end ) Google My Business & Google Maps 1
abbiebeltran GMB Verification Postcard Update - What Does 2021 Postcard Look Like? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
1 GMB Listing Disabled after updating address... Google My Business & Google Maps 12
JoyHawkins Easily See Winners and Losers After an Algorithm Update Google Algorithm Discussions 3
djbaxter Brightlocal Tool shows Large Google Local Search Algorithm Update March 10, 2021 Google Algorithm Discussions 1
Rich Owings Google community challenge to update 100,000 businesses Google My Business & Google Maps 0
djbaxter Core Web Vitals and the Page Experience Update Google Algorithm Discussions 7
rustybrick Google Local ranking update? Google Algorithm Discussions 12
NevenaIvanova Need help with business detail update of a Chinese business Local Search 3
Niki Gross Tracking Variables Removed After Dec. Update Google My Business & Google Maps 1
D Should I Bother Updating NAP on Business Listings and 3rd Party Sites? Citations 7
nathangdavidson Anyone noticed Website fields not being updated in GMB, even though approved? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Hammer Can't enter verification code due to error "To verify your listing, update your business info" All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
NickB-Tampa Why does Google keep updating changing the main category on our listings to ones that don't make as much sense? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
S GMB Address Update for SAB Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Google December 2020 core update now fully rolled out Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
Dino Google not updating an address. Any ideas? Moving or Name Changes 2
hajnasiewicz How To Update a logo in Wikipedia Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
djbaxter Forum updated to Xenforo 2.2.2 Forum Software Updates and Technical Issues 0
Professor M Google Maps Update - live status of takeout and delivery orders when you book or order from Google Maps on Android and iOS Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
Y Whenever I publish update for my local business, my local rankings drop for 3-4 days Local Search 1
djbaxter Passage Indexing: Not A Core Update. It's Ranking, Not Indexing. Don't Optimize For It Google Algorithm Discussions 0
NevenaIvanova Bus Stop Names Update NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
H Updating website and urls are no longer .aspx Organic SEO 2
NickB-Tampa URL is updated in Google My Business but doesn't show up correctly in maps or on Bright Local Local Search 2
djbaxter Google Updates Search Quality Raters Guidelines Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
Igor GMB Virtual care link auto updates to wrong URL Google My Business & Google Maps 5
djbaxter Forum updated to Xenforo 2.2.1 Forum Software Updates and Technical Issues 0
Colan Nielsen NEW October 2020 Google My Business Insights Update Google My Business & Google Maps 0
A Legal Services Rankings Tanked After Potential Update - Solutions? What Did You Do? Organic SEO 2
djbaxter Security update Forum Software Updates and Technical Issues 3
freerunr Verbiage in business profile showing when hours on GMB were updated Google My Business & Google Maps 8
JoyHawkins Ranking Updates - August 13, 2020 Google Algorithm Discussions 2
djbaxter WordPress 5.5 update breaks plugins: Here’s the fix Websites, Software, and Security 6