koji

Reaction score
Hello there,

This has been probably already answered somewhere else but I can't find a recent satisfactory answer.

Is it relevant to mention the name of the town or city in H s, title, url, copy etc or it doesn't really matter anymore?

Thanks in advance

Conor Treacy

Reaction score
Anything that ends up on the page affects the indexing and subsequent rankings of that page. If you can use it, and it doesn't sound spammy, then I would put it in each of the places.

Google recently stated that keywords in header tags are not a critical item like it used to be years ago, however, if it makes sense to be in a title for a section, add it in.

For us, if we have a choice between "Your Local Plumber" and "Your Local Omaha Plumber", I'd choose the latter every time. It's also a reinforcement to your visitors on the page that you are local to a specific area.

The golden rule we follow - if it makes sense to be on the page, add it in.

Tim Kahlert

Reaction score
I always try to see it from the visitor´s perspective. It´s all about relevance. Does the page title/H1 explains precisely what the page is about? Does the H2 describe the topics in the following paragraph? Does the URL make it clear where I am within the physical website structure?

As Conor correctly said, you want to let your customers know whether your business is local or not by adding town + state code to your content. If you think this information is not relevant, just leave it.

Emily Brady

Reaction score
I agree with both Conor and Tim. In my experience, mentioning the city is definitely an important ranking factor, especially for SMBs that serve specific regions (cities, counties, etc). I think it's tricky because Google may not consider it AS "critical" as it was 8 years ago or so - but mentioning the location you serve is important to users (i.e., they want to know they're getting a local service because that's what they need) so it makes sense it can help your site rank. If I was looking for a service-based business near me and clicked through to their site, I would probably double-check their address if the page copy didn't mention the city I was in just to make sure they actually service my location.

When Google tells us something isn't as important as it used to be, I typically take that to meant Google uses more factors to understand the value of websites; thus, the importance of one very specific thing won't make or break your campaign.

TL; DR - I think it's still best practices to include the geo-target in your on-page optimization.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Name of town/city in keyword phrase Recycle Bin 0
Paul Stevens Businesses from 120 miles away showing up three-pack for searches that name local town Local Search 20
accessted Having two listings in different towns with same name Google My Business & Google Maps 2
hannahmoen "Work" Replacing Business Name on GMB for Business Owner Help & Support for Google Local 3
BekahBerry Multiple service providers with separate books of business, sharing one office, under one company name - What is the best approach to avoid filtering? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 8
B Rebranding: same services, same team, same address, new name, new URL Moving or Name Changes 9
Matt Chauhan Knowledge Panel Not Appearing for Brand Name Search Google My Business & Google Maps 5
K GMB Adding Old Business Name & Putting True Name in Parathesis Only In English Browser Google My Business & Google Maps 1
J Wrong GMB Listing Appearing when Searching for Physician by Name Google My Business & Google Maps 4
micromano Will changing a business name in GMB cause reviews to be lost? Moving or Name Changes 3
Ryan Steinolfson How do you get the business name to show up next to the map pin? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
G Registering a DBA name as a Search Term Spam on Google 5
Geeman What to do about a GMB that continuously adds the location to their name? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
S Clients Business name now has an "A" in front of all it's YEXT site listings Citations 1
liorenda Icons in GMB name Google My Business & Google Maps 5
NevenaIvanova Bus Stop Names Update NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
D Is adding emojis to business name gets penalty from GMB? Local Search 1
SpectateSwamp Long Business Name & Citations Recycle Bin 0
TriciaClements Long Business Name & Citations Citations 9
ashikjibon Can I create another GMB page by using the same Business name? (Different Location) Multi-Location Issues 4
S Mentioning Employees Name Local Reviews 2
Ben Walsh Branding name change for local attorney ( legalities) Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 1
J Change Name Request Contact Us Messages 0
coachmarino Keywords in Name NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
coachmarino DUP Keywords in Name Recycle Bin 0
nathangdavidson Need to change the building name for a client Google My Business & Google Maps 2
E Re-naming Facebook Location Pages for a Multi-Location Brand Citations 11
Y My rival manipulates google autocomplete and now whenever I write keywords on google his name appears Local Search 14
Creativedge Is the Facebook page name important for local search? Local Search 1
Frank Jones Wrong Google Listing Showing For Brand Name Multi-Location Issues 2
Monica Simpson Optimizing Name - do citations matter? All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 7
Ben Walsh GMB business name keeps getting reverted back to old name after branding change Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
lincolnchan Ideas for outranking competitor with same business name Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 8
H Ranks better for (city name) than for near me . . .which means....? Organic SEO 3
Nick 11 Best Name To Use In GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Scott ClientClicks Move + Name Change: Possible to keep GMB? Moving or Name Changes 3
Ann Schmitter Change name Contact Us Messages 2
Lanerizz GMB Removing Short Names Google My Business & Google Maps 5
C GMB listings with common name "splits" authority? Multi-Location Issues 1
K Google Keeps Changing my Business Name Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Hammer GMB keeps reverting name and other info Moving or Name Changes 12
L Yelp merging two listings with the same name Citations 1
E API - Notification Settings Resource Name Google My Business & Google Maps 0
L Similar named competitor Local Search 5
Peter Hill Naming changes for COVID-19 Moving or Name Changes 4
M Adding "Teletherapy" to mental health practice GMB name? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Craig McBreen Two businesses, different names, point to same website Google Duplicates & Merges 1
Lachlan_Wells How to keep your reviews after a name change Moving or Name Changes 3
haileym Appearing For Branded Searches After Name Change Moving or Name Changes 1
ianscott Incorrect Business Names/Duplicate Listings - When To Escalate To Spam Report? Spam on Google 1