katandmouse

Reaction score
Ok, here's one for you.

Search in San Jose for "San Jose employment law attorney" and [name removed] is #1 in organic and #1 in Maps. He's a little lower if you remove the geo modifier.

His is a new site with a website that paid no particular attention to SEO (except that the review from Marketo was definitely injected with the keyword phrase too many times). He doesn't have many citations. Site has 52 pages but all but 9 are a mess and weren't meant to be indexed. His backlinks are clearly from a linkwheel, most likely domains purchased because they had PR. And one has no pages at all. There are only 3 as I recall.

He came out of nowhere and immediately shot up to the top within 3 months. Pretty disconcerting when you've had a decades-long career and worked hard to get visible in Google.

Perhaps the answer lies in not what he is doing but what the others SHOULDN'T or AREN'T. I don't know. Haven't researched it enough to know.

Maybe together we can figure it out.

Let the game begin!

Last edited by a moderator:

jasonkd

Reaction score
Here are the reasons I found:

1.) Exact match TITLE tag
2.) Highest PA (according to OSE) than any of the other Local Businesses

I'd say that if the client wants to rank mainly for that KW, then you need to change the title tag of the homepage to exact match for that specific KW. About the links, it seems like our favorite Penguin hasn't found the links as bad yet.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Thanks Kathy, know I love to play these so thanks for starting a good one!

To exhausted after 12 hours straight with email problems, router problems, you name it.
Murphy just won't get off my back.

But as soon as I can think straight again you know I'll be digging into this one!

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Ok, here's one for you.

Search in San Jose for "San Jose employment law attorney" and [name removed] is #1 in organic and #1 in Maps. He's a little lower if you remove the geo modifier.

His is a new site with a website that paid no particular attention to SEO (except that the review from Marketo was definitely injected with the keyword phrase too many times). He doesn't have many citations.

I did some digging but didn't really find much of note except:

You said not many citations but I found 34,800 for partial match:
"[name removed] " "(408) 564-6909" -[site removed]

Whereas the guy in B spot only has 12,800 for similar partial match:
"Rutger Heymann" "(408) 297-7100" -www.rutgerlaw.com

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K New Game: Why does this employment law attorney rank high? Ranking Puzzles 3
djbaxter SEO Role Play Game Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
Monica Simpson Business named after Video Game Ranking Puzzles 3
Tim Colling Is Google Playing the Long Game with SMB Websites? Local Search 4
H I swear, GMB phone reps are gaming their automated feedback system Google My Business & Google Maps 10
J Interesting, Sneak Way of Trying to Game Multi Location Google My Business Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 6
rosie.brightlocal Local SEO Keyword Game Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
Eric Rohrback Amazon is getting into the Local Search Game.... Local Search 7
Linda Buquet Fun Online Christmas Games Google - For Your Kids OR the Kid in You Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 2
K Home Advisor Jumping into the Google Local Spam Game? Spam on Google 11
djbaxter Facebook?s Algorithm: Don?t Hate The Player, Change The Game Mobile & Social 1
Linda Buquet ▶ KEYWORDS: New Internet Trivia TV Game Show - For Local Search Nerds :-) Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
jarod b New to the SEO Game: How do you track leads from website traffic? Consultant's Corner 3
Linda Buquet Local Search is Like a Game of Twister - Video: Game Theory and Local via BIA/Kelsey Local Search 0
Linda Buquet Gaming Google+ Local: Analysis From 170k SERPs - SEMrush Blog Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Linda Buquet Winning at Local Search is Like Winning The Hunger Games | Thunder SEO Local Search 0
Linda Buquet YAHOO Ups their Local Search Game Local Search 5
L New Game: Why Ranks High??? Ranking Puzzles 4
Linda Buquet New Game: Why Ranks High??? Ranking Puzzles 4
Weve Got Your Customers Game: Price Range for Services Local Search 6
V Expected local search game changer is here. Local Reviews 21
B Using with text and links on white background to game Place? Ranking Puzzles 5
B Using with text and links on white background to game Place? Ranking Puzzles 5
G [gamesgoldprice] do you like games? how to get wow gold? Recycle Bin 0
L Local SEO Ranking Game - Why Ranks High? Ranking Puzzles 46
Linda Buquet Local SEO Ranking Game - Why Ranks High? Ranking Puzzles 46
Lachlan_Wells Accept/Discard Google Updates - Does this feature work for you? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
abbiebeltran GMB Verification Postcard Update - What Does 2021 Postcard Look Like? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Niki Business category does not support more hours Help & Support for Google Local 2
rayrober GMB Messaging does not turn on Help & Support for Google Local 2
nathangdavidson Does anyone know if there's a GMB Category for vaccination centre? Google My Business & Google Maps 8
RobertCarnitas GMB Spam for 'Located In' business - Does it affect the GMB listing for the business that is located inside it? Spam on Google 3
Greg Bernhardt User asked a question... Q&A area does not exist in brand panel Google My Business & Google Maps 1
harmony How Does Google Choose Service Options in a Review? Local Reviews 6
L Does selecting a service area for hidden address business have negative effects? Moving or Name Changes 1
NexstarNickR Does PPC Perform worse if there are no trackable goals? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
Rich Owings Does "near me" optimization bring more organic or GMB clicks? Organic SEO 4
NickB-Tampa Why does Google keep updating changing the main category on our listings to ones that don't make as much sense? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
eshad Account suspended, duplicate created. Suspended listing shows. Verified listing does not Google Duplicates & Merges 3
M Where does this type of SPAM come from? Spam on Google 7
P Does suspended listing affect account quality? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
I How does URL Shortening sites like Umuly work? Websites, Software, and Security 0
Steve Wiideman Does anyone have a Google My Business claiming best practice guide? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
djbaxter Google: Moz Spam Score, Domain Authority Does Not Impact Google Rankings Organic SEO 1
Eoghan_MFeed Does anybody have any idea how many users Apple Maps actually has? Local Search 0
N Creating new location groups, does it affect other owners/managers' views? Multi-Location Issues 2
Danish Blackmail Review (Asking money to remove it) | Google support does not wish to take it down Local Reviews 2
TimH FB app iphone does not show recommendations Local Reviews 0
LocalSEODat Using UTM for GMB link to website. Does that mess w/ citation matching, rankings or anything negative effect? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
V Local Services Ad: Does using a different phone number in local services ad effect the organic ranking for my site Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5