More threads by Colan Nielsen

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
I saw Jade reference this link to get to the Google Places Troubleshooter. I don't think I have come across it before and it seems to be a step-up from the previous link in terms of quality - https://support.google.com/business/#topic=3450784

Click the "Contact Us" link.

Has anyone else seen this link to get to Google Places Support?

re: New Google Places Help Docs & Troubleshooter Link

Actually, after looking through all the different sections of that link it looks like this is the updated Help Docs for Google Places for Business. Lots of great stuff in there pertaining to the new dashboard and upgraded pages.

Score another one for Colan! MUCH more detailed helpful info than before!

Like the new layout too!

NewHelpDocs.jpg

Look at this page for example:
Edit and add information to your business listing - Places for Business Help

It even spells out stuff like this (bottom of page)

Please be aware that even though you’ve deleted it, some of the information you’ve added about your business may take up to 60 days to be deleted from our active servers and may remain in our backup systems for an additional period of time. Information that you may have added but is also publically (typo) available or from other sources won’t be removed.

I wish I had time to dig through this more this weekend to see what other new transparency I can find. I'm madly working on finishing the new On-site Local SEO Course and prepping for the next Pro Conference Call, so have no time.

Colan I'm going to tweak title if you don't mind from: "New Google Places Troubleshooter Link" to "New Google Places Help Docs and Troubleshooter Link" since we changed to this topic.

Then everyone please share as you find new specific and helpful info that was not as clearly spelled out before.

NewHelpDocs.jpg

Re: New Google Places Help Docs & Troubleshooter Link

Haven't heard this one before:

"When adding your business information via Google Places for Business, make sure that your internet browser is Chrome, Firefox, or Safari to ensure that it publishes properly."

https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038063?hl=en&ref_topic=3450784

---------- Post Merged at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Look at this page for example:
Edit and add information to your business listing - Places for Business Help

It even spells out stuff like this (bottom of page)

Please be aware that even though you?ve deleted it, some of the information you?ve added about your business may take up to 60 days to be deleted from our active servers and may remain in our backup systems for an additional period of time. Information that you may have added but is also publically (typo) available or from other sources won?t be removed.

Very insightful!

Re: New Google Places Help Docs & Troubleshooter Link

Haven't heard this one before:

"When adding your business information via Google Places for Business, make sure that your internet browser is Chrome, Firefox, or Safari to ensure that it publishes properly."

That's news to me, too. And hilarious. Sockin' it to Bill Gates.

Here's a feature that's now happening with the new places dashboard that I'm seeing with clients all the time. Google will not only make changes to the live G+ Local page, they are now also making changes inside the dashboard. Can you say eerie :eek: That's got to have a ton of implications.

• If Google Maps has different information than what you?ve input in your Places dashboard, your new dashboard will now be updated with the Maps information. Things that might be different include your address, website, or categories.
https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038166?hl=en&ref_topic=3450784

Good call, Colan. I see them change the categories all the time. It's usually a situation like - for example - a divorce attorney picking "Divorce Attorneys" and "Attorneys" as categories. Google often gives one of them the axe.

You know I think I've seen some of these pages before - but the help link is likely tied to which dash you have and I still have the old dash and have the old help docs bookmarked. But this new layout looks familiar and I think I've stumbled across a page here and there, just didn't put together that this was all new and tied to the new dash.

But it makes sense they would need new help docs since quite a few things are different. For example due to changes for service area business settings in the new dash, they have this page which explains how the new settings work.

Yes of course that's always been one of my favorite pages. :eek: Blush ;)

Well, this is interesting.

It was just brought to my attention that there are actually two separate but very similar new Google Help Docs.

Here's the help doc that we have been discussing - https://support.google.com/business/#topic=3450784 This is for users in the new dashboard or G+ users

However, there is also this help doc which is intended for users in the old dashboard - https://support.google.com/places/?hl=en#topic=1656871

Thanks Colan, I alluded to that (or surmised it) in this post:

You know I think I've seen some of these pages before - but the help link is likely tied to which dash you have and I still have the old dash and have the old help docs bookmarked. But this new layout looks familiar and I think I've stumbled across a page here and there, just didn't put together that this was all new and tied to the new dash.

But it makes sense they would need new help docs since quite a few things are different. For example due to changes for service area business settings in the new dash, they have this page which explains how the new settings work.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom