Lachlan_Wells

Reaction score
I noticed these blue 'Order Pickup' and 'Order Delivery' links for the first time today, they link to Google's new food ordering platform at orderfood.google.com

Based on this support article, which has been around a while, I thought Google was only routing orders to a handful of delivery platforms, not restaurants themselves, even if they built their own online ordering system. But then I found this support article on the new ordering platform and this interest form. It looks like you can potentially send these big CTA buttons to your own website, if your restaurant is organised enough to host it's own online ordering system.

If you have a client who's struggling because Google is diverting customers to their delivery 'partners', it could be really valuable to get on top of this.

Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 12.34.05 am.png

Lluc

Solutions
Reaction score
Nice! Thanks for sharing.

I get a 404 error code for the orderfood.google.com page.

Is it available for restaurants in Europe?

Last edited:

Lachlan_Wells

Reaction score
Interesting, I'm based in Berlin and it doesn't 404 for me. I can only find a handful of US restaurants at the moment, and the help article says it's still in beta.

Lluc

Solutions
Reaction score
Hi!

I just tried with a VPN set to Berlin and I still get a 404... that's strange.

Screenshot 2020-07-17 at 17.07.53.png

Sorry, I meant if you knew if the beta test was available for restaurants in Europe, the help page or the form does not specify.

Thanks!

Tony Wang

Reaction score
I first saw the ordering.app option a couple months ago, but what makes you think you can direct those CTA buttons to your own website? The normal charge is 1.5%, so that would not seem to allow such.

andrewthorn

LocalU Member
Reaction score
We have a few restaurant clients using the ordering.app for this functionality, You can definitely bypass the delivery partners. There are few companies in Australia doing this like San Churro and Guzmen y Gomez , its still facilitated by a software partner. In the two examples above its redcat.com.au . (Hospitality IT Platform, POS System & Management Solutions | Redcat)

Here is the announcement from Google AU when it was released here on the 19th December 2019 , Got cravings? Order it with a little help from Google Search and Maps

Theordering.app is now part of google as it was acquired, So I think some of this functionality may be coming to GMB some time soon if I was to guess.

andrewthorn

LocalU Member
Reaction score
@Tony Wang I havent seen that. But I have seen the merchants name used in the provider of the OrderAhead instead of a Order Ahead Partner.

Tony Wang

Reaction score
@andrewthorn can you clarify what you mean "merchants name used in the provider of the Order"? When you click on the blue Order button, where does it go?

Lachlan_Wells

Reaction score
Thanks for the extra info @Tony Wang and @andrewthorn. Looks like I was wrong about linking those CTAs directly to the website.

Here's a profile that might answer the last question - Las Cabañas Mexican Grill & Taqueria

The big blue buttons go to orderfood.google.com and customers can send the order directly to the restaurant, bypassing the other order platforms. According to the support article Google doesn't charge anyone a service fee/commission at the moment, however on the.ordering.app it says they have a 1.5% service fee which will resume in 2021.

So we're back to the same problem unfortunately, Google wants to control more of the funnel so it can monetise users all the way through, instead of letting the business transact with their own customer.

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 11.23.44 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 11.04.17 pm.png

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Professor M Google Maps Update - live status of takeout and delivery orders when you book or order from Google Maps on Android and iOS Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
hajnasiewicz Place an order link Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
J Ordering Content for Service Pages Local Content 7
Tony Wang Google now does food ordering Google My Business & Google Maps 2
JoyHawkins Google My Business Adds a New Contact Form for Restaurants to Remove Online Ordering Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
S Which category & order to use? Optometrist / Eye Care Center NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 8
Garrett Sussman Forging Court Orders Is No Way to Delist Bad Reviews Local Reviews 5
J Creating a Dupe G Page In order to delete one with a bad review Google My Business & Google Maps 4
H Software to manage customer requests/Orders? Consultant's Corner 0
B How far away does a user have to be in order to see AdWords location extensions? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 3
S Dealing with third party order links for restaurants Google My Business & Google Maps 3
O GMB unable to save category order. Local Search 1
Margaret Ornsby Facebook wants you to buy movie tickets and order pizza from its app Local Search 1
M Order Of Change... Moving or Name Changes 4
M Order Of Change... Moving or Name Changes 4
A New Google Maps - Ranking Order List View is Back! Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Linda Buquet How the Google Local Algo Really Works - What Rules the Ranking Order Google My Business & Google Maps 29
R Categories Show Up Out of Order - Main Category is Hidden on G+ Local page. NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 19
R Categories Show Up Out of Order - Main Category is Hidden on G+ Local page. NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 19
Don Berthiaume Any Thoughts on What Determines GP Category Order and Categories Are Used by Google? Help & Support for Google Local 16
O Grubhub Ad in GMB panel - taking crucial margin from businesses dependent on delivery during COVID Help & Support for Google Local 1
amandavantreuren Multiple Verifications needed for Delivery-Only Restaurants that Operate out of cloud kitchens Multi-Location Issues 3
CarrieHill GMB Now Showing Takeout & Delivery Labels in Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 1
JoyHawkins Delivery Icons Appearing in the 3-Pack Google News: Important Changes & Features 17
N New GMB Listing Delivery Button? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
djbaxter Need advice. Google post card sent. Now client says no mail delivery there. Help & Support for Google Local 3
Linda Buquet Google Launches Local Restaurant Delivery & Appointment Booking Google My Business & Google Maps 12
rickvidallon How Do You Access The Buttons In Google My Business For Online Services? Local Search 4
MatGee Adding Make Appointment Button to GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 1
D Shortcut URL to "Ask a Question" Button Google My Business & Google Maps 6
JoyHawkins Implemented Location of Bump Button Suggestions for the Local Search Forum 5
Rasmus Himmelstrup UTM parameters on the GMB website button keeps getting removed Multi-Location Issues 2
Jeffrey Taylor Product Carousel Category Buttons Question Google My Business & Google Maps 0
MannyL GMB page website primary button keeps getting changed NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
Caroline Call Now Button Disappeared on Google Posts Mobile? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
hajnasiewicz "Follow" button Google My Business & Google Maps 6
JoyHawkins Google Adds "Get More Reviews" Button in Knowledge Panel Google News: Important Changes & Features 3
andykuiper Request A Quote button on GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 12
C Can I have a perminant CALL NOW button as part of the Three-pack? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
raellovepie Google Messaging shows if it came from KP Quote button. Great for tracking & reply context. Google My Business & Google Maps 0
K Register Button Contact Us Messages 1
JoyHawkins Google My Business "Get a Quote" Button Google News: Important Changes & Features 27
H No Menu button for business category "pest control services". Why? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Vicky Trainor GMB "Get a Quote" button & Role Clarification Google My Business & Google Maps 5
JoyHawkins Click to Tweet Buttons Admin Stuff 3
W Website button on map Google My Business & Google Maps 2
B "Booking Button" for Vacation Rental Client w/ Multiple Available Rentals Multi-Location Issues 1
B "Booking Button" for Vacation Rental Client w/ Multiple Available Rentals Multi-Location Issues 1
H Pressing that "update" button on WP for plugins or WP itself - how daring are you? Consultant's Corner 7
Scott Rawlins Write a Review Button Not Showing on KG? Google My Business & Google Maps 5