Eric Rohrback

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide whether to have in-house citation building, or outsource it. My main concern is time/cost to have people in-house (US) doing it as opposed to outsourcing to Brightlocal, whitespark, or somewhere else overseas that will do it for cheap.

Thoughts or opinions on citation building methods?

Reaction score
We outsource to other countries as well as keep it in house. You would have to find someone that understands your niche and that can be difficult in other countries. We work in a very specific niche (orthodontics). We still outsource, but I put together a plan in house that included guidelines. This included a list of sites I had pulled from whitespark and just general SERPs. (searching every day, week, month and year in your niche will give you a lot of potentials. Don't let anyone you hire just run amok. You'll end up with 20,000 PR 0 links and citations. My point. Do some in house research, make a solid plan and then outsource. We use people in the Philippines and India and have great working relationships. So far I have been happy with the results.

Laustin1878

Reaction score
I think a key to this is coming up with a foundation and methodology that can be implemented across the board. Having a system in place for how you conduct your research and "train" your prospective citation builders is important.

I know Nyagoslav from NGS Marketing has a great guide for training and citation building. Click the link above. Several people on these forums have many good things to say about it. I enjoyed it and think it is very helpful. They also offer an affordable solution for citation building.

If you have a system in place, I think you can mix up your efforts based on niche and needs. Let us know how you managed to work it out and what your decision was. Always like to hear how others overcome or resolve their concerns.

Thaddaeus

Reaction score
In the past I've tried to do citations myself but I would only outsource now. Too time consuming for me. Has anyone ever tried Whitespark's citation building?

I'm interested in seeing their results.

Nyagoslav

LocalU Faculty
Reaction score
First, thanks for the mention, Laustin1878! I am happy to hear you enjoyed the guide.

On the topic - here are some strengths of doing it in-house vs. outsourcing that you might want to consider:

1) Positives of doing it in-house:

- Better control over what is going on
- Potentially cheaper (although it obviously depends on how much you value your time)
- Easier maintenance of tasks such as phone verifications
- More flexibility

2) Positives of outsourcing it:
*Note: I am not talking about outsourcing it to freelancers in third-world countries. I would not recommend this unless it is for an extremely easy task, the kind where you have already prepared a step-by-step to-do list for everything.

- Time-effective
- Human-resources-effective
- Working with someone who has done this probably hundreds of times means that the error possibility is significantly decreased

It is really up to the individual or the company to decide which better fits their needs. One thing I didn't mention above, but it should be an important part of the decision making is the following:

Quite a number of my citation building clients are agencies and many of them have previously tried doing it in-house. One of the top reasons why it didn't work out is because the person who was performing the citation building/clean-up didn't want to do it anymore. It is a tedious, time-consuming, mundane, and repetitive job. It is not for everyone.

I hope this helps!

Dave

Reaction score
First, thanks for the mention, Laustin1878! I am happy to hear you enjoyed the guide.

It is a tedious, time-consuming, mundane, and repetitive job. It is not for everyone.
Quite a number of my citation building clients are agencies and many of them have previously tried doing it in-house. One of the top reasons why it didn't work out is because the person who was performing the citation building/clean-up didn't want to do it anymore.

I hope this helps!

my bold above. Aint that the truth!!! :D

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Greg Schueler Is there a good way to outsource social media or best to keep it in-house? Consultant's Corner 6
Travis Van Slooten How Do You Outsource White Hat SEO? Consultant's Corner 16
djbaxter Link Madness: On Google outsourcing to webmasters Organic SEO 0
Chris Ratchford Google is STILL OUTSOURCING phone verification of businesses- Google My Business & Google Maps 15
I GMB listing for Housing Development - Setup and verification Google My Business & Google Maps 5
bhartzer Added New Place on Maps.. Google Puts Location as My House Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Garrett Sussman Open House: A Glimpse Inside Angie's List's Unlocked Community Local Reviews 12
Linda Buquet In House SEO, Agency, Independent Consultant - Which R U & Why? Consultant's Corner 8
F Running Local SEO Company Out of my House Consultant's Corner 6
Cleaner44 Looking for help with a business that works out of the house Help & Support for Google Local 0
valentinb13 GMB uses residential address—but client wants to use PO Box for other citations... Citations 3
Elmer .S What is the most accurate search strings to use when doing manual citation audit? Citations 3
JohnnyM Changing Information in citations Google Local 101 1
DragonXD SEMrush and citation service in Denmark NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
SpectateSwamp Long Business Name & Citations Recycle Bin 0
TriciaClements Long Business Name & Citations Citations 9
JoshuaMackens Insurance Citation Sites Local Search 5
K Law Practice Buyout and Existing Citations Citations 4
sixthcitysarah What citation sites would you say are still important in 2020? Citations 10
N Should I use a GMB Website to get a citation and links? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
F Looking for Italian citations services Citations 7
Mike Yem Automotive Department Citations Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 1
C Client with multiple address across citations and web properties All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
Gordon.Ligon SAB vs Physical Address, and its ramifications for NAP citations Service Area Businesses 7
Monica Simpson Optimizing Name - do citations matter? All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 7
Dana Franks Changing HTTP to HTTPS in citations Citations 6
Oliver Keates Looking for new citations in 2020 for the UK Citations 4
H Quick questions about citations (newbie here) Citations 2
LocalSEODat Using UTM for GMB link to website. Does that mess w/ citation matching, rankings or anything negative effect? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
bernilocal Looking for France citations service ? Citations 8
C Cheapest Citation NAP Correction Service Citations 16
P Change of Address - Do We Update Citations? Citations 2
P Schema Markup - SameAs - Using these for citations for branches Citations 14
C Website URLs for Multiple locations in Google My Business & Local Citations Google My Business & Google Maps 2
M Fake Map Listings Auto-Created by Citation Service? Spam on Google 6
Craig McBreen Citations for service area business Citations 16
V Question: Bring something to foreign citations Help & Support for Google Local 2
K Customer wants to add a tracking number across all of his Citations NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
Oliver Keates New Citations Local Search 6
Travis Van Slooten Using Home Address for GMB and UPS Address for Citations?? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 10
Colan Nielsen Announcing "Social Poster" from Citation Builder Pro LSF News and Announcements 0
M Does it make sense to backlink from local citations.... Local Search 7
A Citation Value? Citations 10
Travis Van Slooten What are the 12 Core Citations Every Business Needs in 2019? Citations 16
Travis Van Slooten How Do You Find Niche Specific Citation Directories? Local Search 7
Gsmithmike Would You Create Location Pages, or Use Home page to create citations? Local Search 1
eshad GMB and Citations for SABs Google My Business & Google Maps 1
M Problems listing with some Citations Citations 38
K Not The Best Practice for a GMB / Citations Name Change...and I need opinions. Moving or Name Changes 3
Dana Franks Best citation correction service? Citations 7