JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
A few of our regular contributors on the forum will be at Google's head office this week for their Google Products Experts Summit. I thought I'd ask if anyone has questions and/or feedback for the Google My Business team? I can't promise I'll have the chance to ask them every single thing posted but will do my best! :D

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
Thanks, @JoyHawkins. One thing to consider asking: "When will you require a minimum amount of text to accompany a Google review/rating?"

Similar to what Facebook has done:
https://whitespark.ca/blog/facebook-recommendations-monitoring-reporting/

The idea is if it's a legitimate (or at least believable) review, the reviewer has to explain at least a bit why he/she left 5 stars, or 1 star, or whatever.

If it's a BS review, or one in which the reviewer just typed "woihj9osdujmd0!!3wauojdhygt8yywqdrrrp" to get up to the minimum number of characters, then searchers and Google at least can draw some conclusions and decide what to do.

It is mighty hard to get a ratings-only review removed if the reviewer isn't part of a review-spam network. It's what I call a drive-by negative reviewing.

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
@BenFisher, spam? Where do I begin....

The first thing that comes to mind is that there should be an optional "Comments" field to accompany most edits - a place where you can provide any color commentary you'd provide to a TC (or anyone else) to corroborate your claim.

Now, both you and I know probably nobody at Google will ever see those comments, and I imagine they wouldn't be publicly visible. Maybe they're mostly ornamentation and a feel-good measure at first. But they would be visible to a TC if and when someone escalates a spam situation. They'd serve as lab notes, to make it easier for a TC or (maybe, just maybe) someone at Google to make the right decision.

BenFisher

Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
@Phil Rozek That I think is a very valid point, and will be sure to bring it up! It would be awesome say in the case of a VO, you could supply the Regus link, possibly even the SOS link/screenshot that a business does not exist legally at that location.

Reaction score
These might be noob questions but I'm curious :)

What, if anything, is Google doing to improve keyword spamming within listings - specifically thinking about the business name.

Will Insights reporting become more accurate? Any new reporting features coming?

What is the goal with the follow button on listings? I realize it's a social aspect, but how will that work and where is it going in the future?

shripadd

Reaction score
@JoyHawkins Is there something to share with us about last product expert meeting? How it was? Is something coming for Local SEO pros?

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
We provided a lot of feedback to the team based on the comments here. Unfortunately, I can't really share what they told us but I know they take the feedback seriously.

I did get clarification about how branded terms work and posted that thread about it.

Timothy

Reaction score
I just saw this for the first time suggesting a user edit in local search. New feature?

accident-doctors-va_Google Search.png

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
ryannbull We have added a question to our client's Google My Business Q&A section and it keeps disappearing. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Help & Support for Google Local 4
raellovepie Question about Article: Your Google My Business Profile Image – The Most Important Image? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Lanerizz Google My Business Support Request Question Moving or Name Changes 1
pconnole Google My Business eligibility question (Hospitality Industry) Google My Business & Google Maps 4
V Google My Business script using GMB API - auto replies, question notifications, post scheduling Local SEO Tools & Software 0
Shelly Report Duplicate Questions in Google My Business Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Henry LocalClarity Business Posted Questions & Answers Removed by Google Multi-Location Issues 5
J Google My Business International Question(s) Google My Business & Google Maps 1
joereadseo Any Questions for the Google My Business team? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
C Question on verifying Google Plus business page Google My Business & Google Maps 1
J Google+ business page targeting multiple cities/landing pages novice question Google Local 101 3
Leigh Old business address on unclaimed google+ local page question Help & Support for Google Local 3
Andrew Forster Hidden Address, Service Based Business - Google Removal Question Local Search 10
D Google Spam Fighting Question Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Adam C. Google Ads Question General Local SEO Discussions [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
S Google Guaranteed icon question Google My Business & Google Maps 16
TalkingMonkey Google Smart (AdWords Express) questions Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
Tim Colling Is Google notifying GMB owners about new Questions yet/still? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
B Removed: A few questions about reviews on Google Recycle Bin 0
A A few questions about reviews on Google Google My Business & Google Maps 23
H Google analytics question Local Search 2
T Google Hotel Booking Questions Google My Business & Google Maps 6
M Google Questions and Answers - can't post an answer Help & Support for Google Local 4
Garrett Sussman How to Flag Questionable Online Reviews on Google, Facebook, and Yelp Local Reviews 2
A Agency question: Google verification and SMS Google My Business & Google Maps 12
Linda Buquet Attorney Spam Back in the LA SERPs - Raises Google Local Questions Google My Business & Google Maps 5
J Google Login when taking on a new client--general question! Help & Support for Google Local 4
bluehabit Google Local Ranking Question (with picture) Help & Support for Google Local 6
A Google+ Profile Question Google My Business & Google Maps 1
T Google Bulk Uploader Question Google My Business & Google Maps 16
bluehabit Google + Multiple Listings Question: Acceptable or Penalization in the Making? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
B Google + Local Merging with Places and Website Question? Help & Support for Google Local 14
S Question about Google Places and Google + Google My Business & Google Maps 9
J Re-listing in Google Places with a new account: Questions Help & Support for Google Local 2
Marie Ysais Google+ Map Marker Questions Help & Support for Google Local 8
Marie Haynes So freaking confusing! I have questions about Google Plus, Places and Local Help & Support for Google Local 6
Nick.SEOSpark Google Places Description Questions Local Search 2
S Custom Google Plus Local Themes Terms Of Service Question Local Search 5
M Some questions with GMB and multiple locations Multi-Location Issues 1
iwebresults Advance Verification Stalled Question Paid Search and Local Service Ads 3
haileym "Scroll to bottom to confirm" message showing up while waiting for postcard - Verification Question Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Greg Bernhardt User asked a question... Q&A area does not exist in brand panel Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Jeffrey Healthcare Specific Question Local Search 4
FriarTuck00 Question Regarding GMB Listings and Phone Numbers Multi-Location Issues 3
accessted Local Falcon GMB Question Service Area Businesses 2
annatindal GMB Customer Uploaded Photos Question All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
D Shortcut URL to "Ask a Question" Button Google My Business & Google Maps 6
dave101 Question about Content Writing Organic SEO 4
Imperialpest Page Speed and Local / Ranking Question Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
Imperialpest GMB Q&A section question All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2