Greg B

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here, so a warm "hello" to all of you.

I have a question.

I'm sure most of you are aware of the importance of accurate NAP to find success in a local search which involves being included in local Directories.

However, there is another very large group of different businesses that don't have a physical location. These are commonly known as SAP's (Service Area Providers). i.e. photographers, home inspectors, mobile dog groomers to name a few. These people work from home and obviously want their home addresses kept private.

All that to ask if any of you know where there is a list of Directories that don't require a physical location, but still allow a business to be included in their directory as a SAP. Google my Business allows for a SAP, but I'm finding it a challenge finding Directories that don't require a physical location.

I'm looking forward to any feedback. :)

Greg B

Reaction score
Hi Greg, welcome to the forum!

I haven't seen any up to date lists, but I have seen these two resources. Bright Local did one and Phil at Local Visibility System did one. Both are years old and things change quick, but it's a place to start at least. Make sure you still do your competitive citation research to find industry/city directories that are valuable for your specific case, and try those too instead of just going off a list like this.

Eric Rohrback

Reaction score
Use either NAP hunter (chrome extension) or Whitespark on a few competitors in the same space. Then export to excel and analyze. That would give you a cross section of general directories, local, and industry specific directories to work off of. That's the more manual, nitty gritty way you could look for citation opportunities.

Lists can become outdated once they go live. Sites get an influx of traffic then decide they can start charging for "enhanced" features. Use the lists as a jumping off point, but definitely do your due diligence and dig into the data :)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Colan Nielsen NEW Claim your listing on BrightLocal's Agency Directory: Get in front of relevant customers and win leads LSF News and Announcements 1
hajnasiewicz GMB on Mobile: "Directory" tab Google My Business & Google Maps 2
LauraUK Placing a bulk "lock on" directory listings Citations 7
J Claiming a Directory Listing For a Client Citations 9
hajnasiewicz Mobile > Directory Google News: Important Changes & Features 5
Chaddow Anyone have experience of using Yandex Business Directory Local Search 18
billenross Best Of The Web Directory value? Citations 3
Travis Van Slooten How Do You Find Niche Specific Citation Directories? Local Search 7
Caroline Submitting Directory Entries Local Search 3
wideangle SEO implications of call tracking numbers on a local directory site Citations 19
Kevin Marshall How Hard Is It to Outrank Yelp and Other Directory Websites in the SERPs? Local Search 5
Monica Simpson Spreadsheet with Directory Specs Local Search 2
ValerieM Advice Local Directory Listing Service - Suggestions or Advice Citations 24
D Acxiom's Directory will close at the end of the year Citations 8
Igor Phone verification issues for business with extension directories Citations 5
W Directory Showing In Brand Search Term Results Local Search 8
Zhivko What makes a directory valuable? Citations 26
C Cheapest Citation Submission Service Per Directory Citations 9
L After moving site to HTTPS do i need to update all directory / NAP listings ? Local Search 2
C Submission Service for Select Directories? Citations 4
C Top Orphan Local Directories Local Search 1
C Directories That Accept Citation Without Street Address? (Besides Google & Bing) Local Search 0
Caroline Frustrated - Broken Directories! Local Search 18
T Cross linking GMB with other local directories Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Tim Sweeney What Would You Recommend For Categories On A Chamber Member Directory? Consultant's Corner 3
Tim Colling Lead Diversion Directories - A Growing Problem Local Search 2
Linda Buquet Top 100 Local Business Directories/Citations for Local SEO by Andrew Shotland @Yext Citations 12
Tim Sweeney Directory Site In 2016 and Beyond Consultant's Corner 6
Tim Colling The "Lead Theft" Directory Problem - What Can We Do? Local Search 9
Colan Nielsen The Right Financial Advisor Directory Citations 2
C Listing Services That Allow You To Control Which Directories Citations 3
P Operating a local directory as a marketing strategy? Consultant's Corner 19
Vijay Marathe Best name format for single practitioner businesses on local directories other than G Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Martin Briggs Phone extension number for Google Plus and other directories Local Search 3
L Booking dot com claiming a businesses listing on another directory Local Search 4
C Are the second tier local directories significant? Where's the traffic data? Local Search 49
JoyHawkins Linking to a 3rd Party Directory on G+ Local is Against Guidelines Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Dustybones Local Directories See Drop - Opportunities Still Exist though Citations 1
L Local Directory Checkup software? Local SEO Tools & Software 2
John Tabita SEO for Local Directories Local Search 0
Linda Buquet Groupon Launches Business Directory with Millions of Small Business Listings Local Search 5
Dustybones Optimizing for IYP and Small Business Directories in a Post-Pigeon World Local Search 0
S Zip Code Issues with Business Directories Citations 2
seoWest Directory site and NAP Google My Business & Google Maps 6
M Altering Directory Name affect SEO? Local Search 5
Colan Nielsen Creating and Ranking an Online Business Directory Local Search 5
djbaxter Matt Cutts: Don't build links using article directories Organic SEO 1
RobinOctane Directory Listings Timetable pdf? Can't remember the link? Local Search 3
Benjamin Beck Citation Directories For Local Businesses ? By Country Citations 8
Colan Nielsen CityGuidePal - Anyone Familiar with This Directory? Local Search 3