More threads by CoRichardson

CoRichardson

Reaction score
Hi all,

The agency I work at has recently acquired a new client that we onboarded about two months ago. The client has reached out to us about a schema issue on the SERP. I have never worked with schema before, so I am unsure how to address the issue. Essentially, their schema is repetitive, like so:

1638992889131.jpg

What appears to be happening is the meta description for the home page is being pulled for all of their subpages, even though the subpages have different meta descriptions.

Is this something that I can fix without reaching out to Google? Or is this something that may take time to resolve itself? We only finished optimizing their meta descriptions about a month ago.

I should also note we use Yoast SEO in WordPress. Typically, we add schema through Yoast. I had the page set as "Medical Web Page" schema, but as a potential "fix" - something I could tell the client I did - I switched it back to "Web Page". I did that today.

Any insight at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Solution
Hi @CoRichardson, interesting! I feel like I've seen this happen before, but can't specifically recall what I did about it.

I don't think it has anything to do with Schema (ex. that snippet of text isn't in Schema for the /providers/ page).

Observation/potential fix: That snippet of text is here in the footer, so it's on every page of the site. I'd try tweaking that or even removing it to see if that fixes it. If that fixes it, you could try to add that line back in the footer and see if Google continues to use the provided meta description.

1639078840749.jpg

Inspect the URL in Google Search Console (GSC). When did Google last index the pages?

You could try manually asking Google (in GSC) to re-index the page:
1639079641232.jpg
Hi @CoRichardson, interesting! I feel like I've seen this happen before, but can't specifically recall what I did about it.

I don't think it has anything to do with Schema (ex. that snippet of text isn't in Schema for the /providers/ page).

Observation/potential fix: That snippet of text is here in the footer, so it's on every page of the site. I'd try tweaking that or even removing it to see if that fixes it. If that fixes it, you could try to add that line back in the footer and see if Google continues to use the provided meta description.

1639078840749.jpg

Inspect the URL in Google Search Console (GSC). When did Google last index the pages?

You could try manually asking Google (in GSC) to re-index the page:
1639079641232.jpg

I also found this Yoast article, but I'm not sure if any of those things are going on here.

Solution
Thank you so much, Justin!

I did not even realize that the info that was being pulled was coming from the footer, so thank you for pointing that out. I will definitely try changing that and see what happens.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom