djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Is GDPR Coming to the USA?
by Jamie Pitman, BrightLocal
August 2, 2018

TL;DR

• GDPR aims to gives consumers in the EU more rights and information about how their private data is used by businesses.
  • Trust in business in the USA stands at just 43% in 2018.
  • With trust in business so low, and with members of the US Senate keen to pursue data privacy legislation, it would seem likely that a form of GDPR is on its way to the States.
  • Businesses which have already taken steps with EU legislation will find themselves one step ahead should similar legislation come to the USA.

Do you think a form of GDPR should be introduced in the USA? Would this help to restore trust in big businesses in the US?

Read more...

I already posted my opinion at Brightlocal in the comments:

My feeling is that implementing something similar to GDPR is to be recommended for all forums, whether or not you have members from the EU, and whether or not there is local legislation compelling you to do so.

If it does nothing else, it delivers a clear message to your members that you take their privacy seriously and that you have taken all available measures to secure that information. Additionally, it tells them what they need to do to remove their information and accounts if that is their wish.

It’s only a matter of time before this sort of thing is legislated in non-EU countries in the west as well. Think of GDPR as a wake-up call for forum owners. It’s already woken up consumers (your visitors and subscribers) to their rights and to the issue of how you are safeguarding their data.

And by the way that includes converting your site to HTTPS (SSL), if you haven’t already done so. Asking your members to enter email addresses and passwords on non-encrypted connections is basically saying, “Yeah. We don’t really care if your information is intercepted or stolen – that’s your problem, not ours”.

What do you think?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
N What category should be selected for such business in GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
R What steps should I take to get my suspended and denied Google My business approved? Help & Support for Google Local 1
AndySimpson Google My Business Opening Date - What Date Should You Use? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Two Different Business Places at the Same Address: Should I Add Them to GMB? Local Search 1
D Should I Bother Updating NAP on Business Listings and 3rd Party Sites? Citations 7
DanielTexasLira Business acquires another business. Should I rename the old GMB listing or label it as "Permanently Closed"? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Tim Colling Should you *delete* your GMB listing if you're a "national" business? Google My Business & Google Maps 16
M New, Small Business Located Inside Larger, Established Business: What Should I Have Done? Local Search 0
Vicky Trainor One Business, 2 Websites, 2 GMB Profiles - Should I merge Everything?? Google Duplicates & Merges 14
Durandl Should I spam my Business name in GMB to rank higher? Google My Business & Google Maps 8
P Really long business & domain name with articles in it, what should we do? Local Search 5
elwalker Citations for UK businesses - should we add county or not? Citations 3
JoyHawkins Should Small Businesses Even Have Blogs? Organic SEO 33
dje0624 What Business name should I use? Local Search 1
Larry Home Inspection Business - Should address be shown? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
H What name should this Roofer pick for his business Local Search 6
L Should service area businesses with visible addresses be reported Service Area Businesses 2
Lloyd Silver Should service area businesses with visible addresses be reported Service Area Businesses 2
T Business w/Multiple Locations: Should G+ Listings Link To Home Page or Loc. Pages? Multi-Location Issues 13
Travis Van Slooten Business w/Multiple Locations: Should G+ Listings Link To Home Page or Loc. Pages? Multi-Location Issues 13
Dustybones Should we be using "Single Discriptors" in our business Titles? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Linda Buquet New Google Maps App - 5 Reasons Local Businesses Should Care Mobile & Social 2
S How much info should i give when reporting a business as closed? Google Duplicates & Merges 4
shondarogers How much info should i give when reporting a business as closed? Google Duplicates & Merges 4
J Should I verify Places dashboard even though Google+ business page is verified/merged Help & Support for Google Local 7
G Merged Hidden Address Service Area Business - Should Not Have Help & Support for Google Local 0
WineCountryCarpetCleaning Merged Hidden Address Service Area Business - Should Not Have Help & Support for Google Local 20
C Should I set up a Google+ Business page? Local Search 1
Annika Neudecker Should you use more than 5 GMB categories? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
D A client has 3 verified GMB's across 2 states,with service pages for each location. Should service pages have only their respective locations address? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
H Should I filter these self referrals? Organic SEO 1
NickB-Tampa Should all the phone numbers on the landing page to our GMB listing be included in the structured data? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Jason_Parks1 How Should I Structure Suite Numbers with a New Office? Moving or Name Changes 1
raellovepie Redressal Form - What Should I Expect? Spam on Google 2
IanJohnson Office destroyed in hurricane, what should we do about the GMB listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
NickB-Tampa Should a physician's assistant have their own GMB listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Kayla Adam What Strategy Should Been Used for My Wellness Clinic Local Search 5
M Client Says SEO Should Be Paid By Commission Only Consultant's Corner 15
Brian Barwig Why You Should Embed a Google Map on Your Website Google My Business & Google Maps 1
D Competitor is constantly suggesting new areas of service. What should I do? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
lincolnchan Branded KW Getting Outranked By Competitor... but neither should have GMB All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
N Should I use a GMB Website to get a citation and links? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
H Should I create a GMB if there is no 3-pack in the SERP? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
djbaxter Google: All Guests Posts Should Be Nofollow, Paid or Not Organic SEO 5
W Should multiple nearby hotels target the same area attraction? Recycle Bin 0
DanielTexasLira Should multiple nearby hotels target the same area attraction? Local Search 5
Ellen How Should We Be Updating GMB Hours Related to COVID-19? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
J Should I Create a GMB Website Google My Business & Google Maps 7
KristiSimone Cookies pop-up on website is trending. Should we add? Websites, Software, and Security 5
A Should I update Joomla Websites, Software, and Security 14