More threads by zach.todd

zach.todd

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but has anyone seen the snack pack results differ from you see when drilling into "View more"? As in the 3 or 4 shown in the snack pack aren't in the top 3-4 spots when you click through.

I know ads can impact this, but my question is more around the strictly non-paid results.

Thanks!

Not a dumb question at all. I don't think there is a definitive answer though. I have mostly speculated that there can be an adjustment to the weight of certain ranking factors if someone doesn't find what they need in the 3-pack and feel the need to "View More" to find what they are looking for.

For instance, if the initial 3-pack result Google returns is heavily proximity based, and the searcher is like "Nah, none of these is what I want" perhaps when they click on "View More" Google turns down the proximity dial and increases the "has amazing reviews" score since proximity may not be the most important factor for this user.

That makes sense @Colan Nielsen, I can believe that Google might adjust based on ignoring the 3 pack. In my own limited testing, I haven't seen the results differ -- aside from ads of course.

I'll post here if I can find an example where the results change up after clicking through.

I've frequently seen the order change slightly, usually placement number 3 swaps with 4. But never a completely new set.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom