Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Virginia Nussey over at Bruce Clay just did a good post about how to dress up your listing in the SERPs and make it stand out from the pack.

One of the most important tips she offers is how to optimize sitelinks, but if you follow some of the links she shares you'll also find good info on optimizing rich snippets and authorship as well.

Souping Up Your SERP: Snippet Optimization Tips for Small Biz SEO

You typed your business?s name into Google and you?re wondering how to enhance the way your result looks. How can you get those features you see when you type your competitor?s names in the search engine?

Here?s a resource guide on the ways you can dress up your results when they show up in Google. You?ve got a lot of things going on in your day-to-day running a business duties, so bookmark this page and come back to it whenever you have some time to dedicate to marketing.

Nick.SEOSpark

Reaction score
Thanks very much for this Linda.

I'd like to open this to the floor for discussion. Does anyone here utilise rich snippets to improve the CTR for their clients in the SERPS?

I see a difficulty with doing this for authorship. If you are getting a business ranked, aren't you encouraged to show one singular person rather than a "team" of people. You may not have a specific "author" to show.

Seriously though, I'd love to know from people who are using rich snippets in this way and what tactics they are using (besides ordinary sitelinks).?

Reaction score
I set my business clients up with authorship markup as standard protocol. Yes, you do need one person to represent the business but that has never been an issue. Even a law firm I work with wasn't a problem. They just designated their firm's President as the "face" of the firm. For business owners it's pretty easy. You just use the owner as the author/face of the business.

Travis Van Slooten

Nick.SEOSpark

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing Travis, and it's definitely becoming essential for the SERPs. I need to implement this for some of my clients--I have quite a few "one man bands"/one woman orchestras" type businesses so this will be valuable. For the other businesses, you need a representative.

Are there any other stories from people about this? Has anyone been using video rich snippets with their clients?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B Discrepancy in Google SERP Info Local Reviews 2
LaurenHoward Mobile SERPs showing wrong phone number on GMB NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
J Online Care SERP Feature - How to Be Included Google Local 101 5
starter_70 Are GMB posts not showing on SERP or Maps page? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Justin Mosebach How to check SERPs for presence of a map pack in bulk? Organic SEO 4
C Major SERP shakeup Google Algorithm Discussions 3
H Should I create a GMB if there is no 3-pack in the SERP? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
john wieber Mobile Local SERPS Location Data in Result Local Search 5
L SERPs showing Knowledge Panel instead of Local box Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Conor Treacy Possible change to SERPs Display - Briefly Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
G Reviews Markup showing in Serps for Every landing and store page for eccomerce site - Is this is a hack ? Local Reviews 0
Rich Owings Is this a way to get review star icons for your own site in SERPs? Local Reviews 5
Ellen See More Hours - Clicking on this doesn't open panel in SERP Google My Business & Google Maps 1
IanJohnson Multi-Location Businesses not showing Local results in SERPs Google My Business & Google Maps 1
B SERP Question Local Search 2
StephanieNewton Change to featured snippets in SERPs Google News: Important Changes & Features 6
valgetova Knowledge Panel Mess on SERP Ranking Puzzles 4
M GMB map pack: What triggers images coming up in map pack on SERP? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
PaulSteinbrueck What is this at the top of the SERPs and how do you get in? Local Search 8
nathangdavidson Local Teaser SERP feature more common for mobile searches? Local Search 2
M Keyword in SERP-title as indicator for competition Organic SEO 2
raellovepie Possible "no review" glitch in the SERP 3-pack Google My Business & Google Maps 2
G Reviews markup showing in serps for LocalBusiness schema markup? What's going on Local Reviews 7
M SERP showing "this site may be hacked"? Local Search 2
M Spam at top of SERPs Spam on Google 8
Ian Hammond Any fast methods for removing a page from SERPs? Local Content 6
hajnasiewicz SERP Influencers Help & Support for Google Local 1
M Length of title tag shown in SERPS is NOT 600px Organic SEO 2
MannyL Icon in the SERPs results? Google My Business & Google Maps 12
C Google is testing links upon title in SERP Organic SEO 6
JoyHawkins New Free Tool to Track Fluctuation in Local SERPs Local SEO Tools & Software 0
BrianMacKenzie Variations in Number of SERPs Above the Map Pack Local Search 0
nathangdavidson SERP checker using geo-cordinates Local Search 5
Kevin Marshall How Hard Is It to Outrank Yelp and Other Directory Websites in the SERPs? Local Search 5
Tamara13 GMB rating stars in SERP Local Search 8
vivekrpatel Google is not showing aggregate rating on SERP Local Reviews 6
Cory Agular Sourcing Movie Time Data on SERP Google My Business & Google Maps 1
rosie.brightlocal Local Services Ads Click Study: Where do people click on local SERPs? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
AndySimpson Get localized SERPs at an exact location without any additional tools - Fake Your Location! Local Search 27
Garrett Sussman An Analysis of Review Site Listings in SERPs Local Reviews 0
RSWHTN Mysterious Location Based SERP Disappearance Local Search 0
Suleyman Okan PDFs in SERP listing competitor names in title Local Search 2
chrish Local 3 Pack listing in Google SERPS Local Search 3
S Attorney SERP Results Local Search 9
M 3-Pack Images in SERPs? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
L Tracking click throughs from Google local SERP listing by adding UTM tag in site URL Local Search 7
Garrett Sussman How Online Reviews Can Impact Rank and CTR on SERPs Local Reviews 2
Digitaldar How to trigger (GMB?) box on right side of Google SERP for non branded search? Local Search 3
M Tool to check Local SERP results from different locations Local Search 12
BenFisher New? Description of business in the SERP results map pack Google My Business & Google Maps 2