More threads by ganapathy

ganapathy

Reaction score
My stakeholder is forced to separate their different services as multiple websites.

I said, some cons from SEO point of view that current website’s index, keyword ranks, visits, link authority will drop, if split and decreases branding effects also.

what is your opinion?

My stakeholder is forced to separate their different services as multiple websites.
Why is he "forced" to do this and who is forcing him?

I said, some cons from SEO point of view that current website’s index, keyword ranks, visits, link authority will drop, if split and decreases branding effects also.
How are they proposing to separate the services exactly? Depending on how it's done, you could still retain the branding and use redirection to keep some of the other SEO benefits.

Pros: being able to work the most important keywords for each service directly into the domain name of the new website

Cons: if links are built to a particular service, the other service does not get to benefit from any of the value

Why is he "forced" to do this and who is forcing him?

How are they proposing to separate the services exactly? Depending on how it's done, you could still retain the branding and use redirection to keep some of the other SEO benefits.

Thank you, Djbaxter. My manager replied, it is their business decision.
Exactly: Our website & services page.
Site1.PNG

They are proposing to separate the services exactly below:
site2.PNG

Which mean should I redirect only the "service" page to corresponding "New website"? For SEO Benifits.

Ps.We retain current main website also.

Last edited:
Sometimes clients want to shoot themselves in the foot. And sometimes they shoot both feet.

As @pony indicated, they will be diluting their ranking power by minimizing the number of links pointing to each domain.

If they really want to divide it up like that, they'd be far better off using subdomains.

But they'd be far better off keeping one domain and using menus for the "keywords" they're after.

Which mean should I redirect only the "service" page to corresponding "New website"? For SEO Benifits.

Ps.We retain current main website also.

To be completely honest with you, what you have proposed sounds like it will do much more damage than it will do any benefit to your business.

Thank you @djbaxter , @pony @Rich Owings.

I shared my final thoughts about "collateral damages" to My Manager (he is not SEO). Here is the below.

There are two type of situations to separating Brands(Services) into different websites.
  • Type1. New Business situation (start from scratch situation): Not branded in Offline and not Indexed in Web(Google & Other search engines etc.,) – It is Perfect to separate our services into different websites.
  • Type2. Branded Business situation: Branded in Offline and Indexed in Web(Google & other search engines) – It is not Perfect to separate our services into different websites.
We are in a Type 2 situation. So, we must know the “collateral damages”, If we proceed.
From SEO Point of view “Collateral Damages”:
1.Splitting Link Authority:
The biggest drawback of having multiple sites is that we are splitting up our link authority between them. This can be detrimental for websites in competitive niches fighting over highly searched keyword phrases. We are first position in “Google Search Engine” for many keywords.
2.Decreases Branding Effects:
It takes more than just links and content to rank in Google these days. Popular brands are winning on Google over better “optimized” websites, such as the big box retailers. I am sure Google can tell a site’s popularity through usability signals and uses them more than ever before.
If we use multiple sites, we also have to brand multiple sites, execute social media sites for each site, and more. This splits our resources across many different brands and website properties; therefore, in theory, making we less effective. Obviously, there will be exceptions to this, especially companies that are leveraging multiple brands to make each of them stronger, but, generally, splitting efforts makes it more difficult. The lesser the brand we are, the less likely we will be linked to, and we will receive fewer visits and gain fewer opportunities to achieve higher positive ranking factors in Google’s algorithm.
3.Current our website’s Index, Ranks, Search will drop, if we split into different websites. i.e., Exaplained current Insights: We are getting Google SERP organic visits, GMB listing organic visits,Phone call and contact form enquiries - "XYZ" numbers ect.,

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom