More threads by David Deering

Reaction score
Ok, time to call in the big guns on this one. I have a client that I'm working with who had a Places/Local page that got suspended because he did not hide his address (it was his home address and he's also a SAB). Before the page got suspended, he said that he attempted to hide his address but that it still showed in search results. After being suspended for a couple of months, he went in and deleted the page. Now if you search maps with the phone number of 949-498-8783 (his actual business number), nothing shows up. This is the Map Maker link that he copied and saved: Google Map Maker

He does, however, have another Local page for his business that he set up with a slightly different business name, a different URL, and a different phone number. The listing is using a UPS address. So obviously, that all has to change. He is able to login and make changes to this page. Here's the page: https://plus.google.com/109753315118138819949/about

So, should he just edit the info of his only live Local page to accurately reflect his NAP, with hiding the address of course? Or should he delete and start over based on what you see? Thanks in advance for your help on this one everybody.

Crazed and no time. Leaving to pick up PCs, then under gun to get new PCs up and working as this one keeps crashing too. So in crisis mode and may not be able to get back to this thread til tonight.

So be advised ONLY TOOK QUICK PEEK and can't think straight so don't do anything yet.
BUT here are my quick thoughts.

Regular moves now you can just edit listing. AND I seldom recommend deleting and starting over.

BUT in this case I would not edit. It's a TOTALLY BOGUS listing. Fake name PLUS UPS poison location - just bad everything.

So I think I would delete from dash just to get it out of there since it's filled with violations. Start brand new account. ALL CORRECT INFO. Then close that old bogus listing.

But wait and see if Andrew or Flash stops by to confirm or see if they have other ideas. But I believe in this case that would be best plan.

Only thing is once a listing is deleted by G often new ones don't show up and go live and I don't know what part of NAP is blacklisted.

Gotta run!

Thanks Linda. Hope you get your PC issues finally fixed today and can stop and breath for a minute. :)

As Linda said remove the feature with the UPS address from the dash. The page will go away when Google finds that the page it is a duplicate of is has already been removed in Map Maker. The Places troubleshooter should be used to get the previous feature up and running again.

After being suspended for a couple of months, he went in and deleted the page. Now if you search maps with the phone number of 949-498-8783 (his actual business number), nothing shows up. This is the Map Maker link that he copied and saved: Google Map Maker

He does, however, have another Local page for his business that he set up with a slightly different business name, a different URL, and a different phone number. The listing is using a UPS address. So obviously, that all has to change. He is able to login and make changes to this page. Here's the page: https://plus.google.com/109753315118138819949/about

As Linda said remove the feature with the UPS address from the dash. The page will go away when Google finds that the page it is a duplicate of is has already been removed in Map Maker. The Places troubleshooter should be used to get the previous feature up and running again.

Hang on a sec and let me clarify something. There are more issues I think.

Andrew said use troubleshooter to get original back.

David when you said "he went in and deleted the page" I took it to mean he deleted listing from dash.
Is that correct?

If so then he can't use troubleshooter for that listing right Andrew? Because it no longer is in dash so he can't even use troubleshooter?

Question for Andrew. When I search maps for the REAL phone that was on the old listing (949) 498-8783 - the NEW listing with hidden address shows up.

There is still a MM listing for (949) 498-8783 here.

BUT the new LIVE listing: https://plus.google.com/109753315118138819949/about which has address hidden but I believe is the UPS one, the phone on that one is (949) 262-9668. BUT when I search MM for THAT phone, it can't find the listing.

So then I searched MM via CID for the new live listing: Google Map Maker
Google Map Maker

So the new UPS listing is marked as a dupe of the OLD listing which is no longer on maps? So the old is only showing on MM not live. But is merged with the new one?

Way over my head and still dealing with getting everything back up on the new PC so can't even try to figure this out. Plus it's now a MM issue so beyond my expertise.

Andrew with this new information AND after David's confirmation that the old listing was deleted from dash, can you advise?

Hang on a sec and let me clarify something. There are more issues I think.

Andrew said use troubleshooter to get original back.

David when you said "he went in and deleted the page" I took it to mean he deleted listing from dash.
Is that correct?

If so then he can't use troubleshooter for that listing right Andrew? Because it no longer is in dash so he can't even use troubleshooter?

Question for Andrew. When I search maps for the REAL phone that was on the old listing (949) 498-8783 - the NEW listing with hidden address shows up.

There is still a MM listing for (949) 498-8783 here.

BUT the new LIVE listing: https://plus.google.com/109753315118138819949/about which has address hidden but I believe is the UPS one, the phone on that one is (949) 262-9668. BUT when I search MM for THAT phone, it can't find the listing.

So then I searched MM via CID for the new live listing: Google Map Maker
Google Map Maker

So the new UPS listing is marked as a dupe of the OLD listing which is no longer on maps? So the old is only showing on MM not live. But is merged with the new one?

Way over my head and still dealing with getting everything back up on the new PC so can't even try to figure this out. Plus it's now a MM issue so beyond my expertise.

Andrew with this new information AND after David's confirmation that the old listing was deleted from dash, can you advise?
My mistake on referencing the troubleshooter, as I see now the client deleted the home address page, but kept a UPS store address. I'd try finding the MM feature for that location if one exists. I don't have time to do that myself right now.

I would avoid changing the UPS address page to the home address and hiding it in Places because that page's GMM feature is pointing to a duplicate (it is the inferior feature) of a deleted ups address feature. All it takes is Google to merge the data and the page reverts and/or gets noticed by Google. You never want the claimed feature linking to the inferior duplicate, you want it linking to the superior duplicate. When I have more time I'll better advise on what to do. For now your client doesn't want a ups address as a page in his dashboard.

Well that quickly escalated to something way more complicated for me. lol To answer your question Linda, yes, he deleted his original Places page from the dash, the one that had the correct NAP but had gotten suspended. So Andrew, do you advise that we sit tight until more info is dug up about these listings, or delete his Local page with the UPS address?

Well that quickly escalated to something way more complicated for me. lol To answer your question Linda, yes, he deleted his original Places page from the dash, the one that had the correct NAP but had gotten suspended. So Andrew, do you advise that we sit tight until more info is dug up about these listings, or delete his Local page with the UPS address?
Some questions:
Was the ups location claimed in the same dashboard as the one that got deleted?
Did you see the reason the other home feature was suspended for?
Were there other reasons? (Like maybe duplicate features?)
Does the home location still exist on Maps/Places or MapMaker?
Did the page get merged with a G+ business page?
What else is your client not telling you? (You may want if haven't already to identify to you the number of Google accounts he has and what features he's created/claimed/merged to see what other 'fun' may be in store for you)

Good point Andrew with guys like this about trying to discover everything, because ya, good chance more fun in store.

I posted the home MM link above: MM listing for (949) 498-8783 here

But I don't see it in live Maps. When I search that phone in maps the new UPS listing shows up.

Some questions:
Was the ups location claimed in the same dashboard as the one that got deleted?
Did you see the reason the other home feature was suspended for?
Were there other reasons? (Like maybe duplicate features?)
Does the home location still exist on Maps/Places or MapMaker?
Did the page get merged with a G+ business page?
What else is your client not telling you? (You may want if haven't already to identify to you the number of Google accounts he has and what features he's created/claimed/merged to see what other 'fun' may be in store for you)

Andrew, I hear ya! I do know that he used different emails to set up both pages. I myself didn't see the reason why his listing got suspended, but he did say that he originally did not hide his address. It doesn't sound like his listing was suspended because of being a duplicate, as he used different NAP info and URL for his second listing. (His intention/goal was to rank high for his keyword in a nearby city.) And from what I can tell and have been told, his Local page was not merged with a G+ Business page.

Thanks again for your help, Andrew and Linda.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom