Reaction score
"What would happen Priya if you got hit by a bus?"

That's what my boss used to ask me on occasion - and no they weren't concerned about my physical health after a bus accident, but about business continuity and the creation of Standard Operating Procedures (or SOPs).

Which is exactly what Miriam's talking about in this complete guide to onboarding a new client.

The Local SEO Agency’s Complete Guide to Client Discovery and Onboarding

Lack of a clearly delineated, step-by-step onboarding process increases the potential for human error. Your agency’s Local SEO manager may be having allergies on Monday and simply forget to ask your new client if they have more than one website, if they’ve ever purchased reviews, or if they have direct access to their Google My Business listings. Or they could have that information and forget to share it when they jump to a new agency.

Above is just a snippet, so head over to read the rest and if you aren't already using some standardised onboarding documents, take a look at the ones Miriam's put together.

What do you think?
Are you using a standard type of onboarding?
Do you think you're more likely to do so now?

<meta property="og:type" content="article"><meta property="og:title" content=""><meta property="og:description" content="">
<meta property="og:image" content="">

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Thanks Priya - you're a mindreader again. :)

This is another great post by Miriam and includes: a Client Discovery Questionnaire,
an Initial Discovery Phone Call Script, and a useful Location Data Spreadsheet.

Thanks Miriam!

bczubiak

Reaction score
Definitely a great post. There are things to do for sure when signing on a new client. We have created a checklist system in our backend software that we can build on over time. Here is an example of the items to add a new account. Some of these many vary based on your vertical market. We sign up mainly dentists. We will certainly incorporate more items from Miriams post.

Received client Paperwork
Setup Authorize.net For Client Payments
Copy From Pending Lead Type To Active
Send Information Sheet To Client
Create Gmail Filter to Dentist (We set up filter in Gmail so we don't miss client emails)
Add To DC Seotools in-house Back end Software
Complete Practice Info
Complete SEO Information
Add Dentist To Client Group Type List
Add Master Directories To Claim
Add Domain Information
Set Domain Expiration Date (We let client know when their domain expires)
Add Search Term 1 & 2 (Used for our quick dashboard so we can see all of our most important rankings for all clients in one view)
Ad Word "Main" in Domain Description
Create User Account For In-House Dashboard
Login With Client Name To Make Sure It Works
Complete Dashboard Configuration
Add Mobile Website Analytic Data
Complete Monthly Recap Email (We send auto-email every month to show client what we have done for them)
Add Client To A Group
Add User Access For Employees
Complete Information Update Email (Auto email goes out to ask client what changes have been made lately. New equipment, new employee hires etc)
Send Test To Client
Bright Local Setup
Add to Rank Checker
Add to SEO Check-Up
Add to Citation Tracker
Add to Google+ Local Wizard
Add to Google Webmaster Tools
Change International Targeting To United States
Add Client To Google Analytics
Add Custom Analytics Dashboard

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Whoa, that's a whole lotta steps Bob, very thorough!

Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

Reaction score
Whoa, that's a whole lotta steps Bob, very thorough!

Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

I agree, that's an amazing list Bob! I especially like the domain expiration notification - I'm going to add that to my checklist, along with web hosting expiration dates.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Rich Owings Does "near me" optimization bring more organic or GMB clicks? Organic SEO 4
V Question: Bring something to foreign citations Help & Support for Google Local 2
A How to find keywords that only bring up snack pack results? Local Search 0
ruslan.barabolkin Guaranteed Keywords to bring up in Local Pack Local Search 9
Linda Buquet Change.org Petition to Larry Page @ Google: Bring Back Classic Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Todd McCall Trying to bring satellite offices into compliance with guidelines Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Dustybones 10 tidbits on how to bring more traffic to your Google+ Posts: MOZ Google My Business & Google Maps 2
D A client has 3 verified GMB's across 2 states,with service pages for each location. Should service pages have only their respective locations address? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
B Multiple practictioners in one area- my client is getting bumped out Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
Jen Currier Would you set up an Architect client with a Hybrid/SAB GMB listing if the location was residential? Service Area Businesses 2
Jen Currier Is there any advantage, besides a single sign in, to having all clients connected to our GMB account? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Tim Colling I'm getting calls from "Google Maps" at 650-206-5555, asking about clients' hours - are they legit? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
valentinb13 GMB uses residential address—but client wants to use PO Box for other citations... Citations 3
J New client with existing spam Moving or Name Changes 7
LauraUK SAB's - can a client without a Gmail leave a SAB a review. Service Area Businesses 3
M Google changes client's 5 year old, verified GMB to a duplicate listing Google Duplicates & Merges 7
M Google keeps reverting our clients address, no matter how many times we send a postcard Moving or Name Changes 4
Eoghan_MFeed Great customer review we pulled in for a client Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
D Client's Competition Keeps Trying to Take His Listing Spam on Google 2
ryannbull We have added a question to our client's Google My Business Q&A section and it keeps disappearing. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Help & Support for Google Local 4
CarrieHill Switchbird Solves Lead Nurturing & Client Communication for Agencies and Their Clients LSF News and Announcements 11
Ben Walsh The client won't drop it with disavowing links Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
Joe Good Client verified but pending since 10/19/20 Help & Support for Google Local 2
M Client Says SEO Should Be Paid By Commission Only Consultant's Corner 15
S Clients Business name now has an "A" in front of all it's YEXT site listings Citations 1
H Multiple negative reviews and threats from one client Local Reviews 3
LocalSEODat Need help with a suspended GMB - Client had home address as place of biz, then suspended. Fixed to meet customers and got reply with no reason Service Area Businesses 6
coachmarino Company trying to sell client back their own GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
D GMB Expansion for SAB Client who Acquired a Business Google My Business & Google Maps 1
brettmandoes Products - appears for some HVAC clients, but not others Google My Business & Google Maps 5
J Unable to Log Into Client's GMB with Agency Email Help & Support for Google Local 5
djbaxter SEO Company Sabotages Ex-Client's GMB & Maps Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 0
I Client Suspended Thread: Please Help Help & Support for Google Local 5
A Help Client gets "Invitation failed (Role not allowed)" when trying to add Organization ID Help & Support for Google Local 6
C Client with multiple address across citations and web properties All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
rossdunn Setting Up Foursquare for a Client Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
david.victor Facebook disabled advertising and post-boosting for a client Mobile & Social 4
nathangdavidson Need to change the building name for a client Google My Business & Google Maps 2
CoRichardson Incorrect "Located in" Description in Client's Knowledge Panel Help & Support for Google Local 13
lincolnchan Attribution Links in Clients' Footers Organic SEO 7
Lachlan_Wells When you accidentally connect your fake location to the wrong client Spam on Google 2
georgebizpro Client's local rankings tanked in early/mid September, why? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Lanerizz Tale of Two Cities And A Client on the Border Moving or Name Changes 6
L How do I set notifications for Google my Business edits that were not done by us or our clients and how to know what Google updated? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Bryan Bloom 👉 Ahrefs Users - Are you aware they removed client alerts? Is this an issue for you also? Local SEO Tools & Software 5
nathangdavidson Asking clients to use specific words in Google reviews, against guidelines? Local Reviews 2
J Claiming a Directory Listing For a Client Citations 9
R Clients Willing To Link To Each Other Local Search 5
Barb Davids Create an event that my client works for but didn't create? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
j_holtslander Couple of 12 hour old reviewer accounts astroturfing client. Spam on Google 6