More threads by JeffClevelandTN

Solutions
Reaction score
We've tried several different tools to analyze competitors AdWord strategy along with estimated monthly spend. Examples would be Semrush, spyfu, iSpionage. While most of them seem to do a fairly decent job of identifying keywords, Ad copy, estimated traffic, etc., all of these tools vary wildly when estimating the actual dollar spend each month. I've yet to find one that will come close to properly estimating our own client's monthly spend. Therefore, how reliable can they really be in estimating the competition?

Would really appreciate hearing how others are estimating the competition's AdWord budgets. Thanks!

A good metric in Google Ads I go by is in the Auctions Insights, competitor impression share. If the competition has more impressions share, and top of page impression share, they are probably spending more than you on those keyword. If less impression share, they are probably spending less. Of course you need to look at the whole picture including quality score to determine why they may have a better or worse impression share.

I too have yet to find a tool that accurately measures a competitors spend level, and in reality I doubt there is a tool that CAN do it effectively. Similarweb.com does a good job of showing you the traffic by source for your competitors, which is also a good indicator of spend on Google Ads. You can drill down the search traffic to organic vs paid.

A good metric in Google Ads I go by is in the Auctions Insights, competitor impression share. If the competition has more impressions share, and top of page impression share, they are probably spending more than you on those keyword. If less impression share, they are probably spending less. Of course you need to look at the whole picture including quality score to determine why they may have a better or worse impression share.

I too have yet to find a tool that accurately measures a competitors spend level, and in reality I doubt there is a tool that CAN do it effectively. Similarweb.com does a good job of showing you the traffic by source for your competitors, which is also a good indicator of spend on Google Ads. You can drill down the search traffic to organic vs paid.

Hey Elisabeth, thanks so much for diving in and sharing your insight and recommendations. You always have great feedback on the tougher AdWords questions!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom