More threads by Langandq

Langandq

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this before? A google map showing a triangle of what I'm assuming is the service area? This is the first time I'm running into it and I'm curious exactly:
- What is it?
- How was it done?
- What are the pros and cons of it?

1694611160620.jpg

If they selected Harrisburg, York & Lancaster as service areas, Google just highlights the overall service area.

I split my time in 4 places throughout the year so the 4 points on my map are Vancouver Island BC, Red Deer AB, Windsor ON & Phoenix AZ.

2023-09-13_06-40-29.jpg

That's really interesting. I've selected service areas for us, but haven't seen this on our GBP. This is the first time I've seen this in our local market.

Thank you for sharing!

The service area fonctions by tracing from all the outermost points of the combined selected ares (there are some caveats though, and in things have changed just in the last three years!). So if you have distant points, that's what will happen. You can avoid this by selecting larger areas such as counties to define your service areas.

@Brian - TGL At this point, you are actually justified creating separate GBPs for the four service areas under Google's guidelines!

That's really interesting. I've selected service areas for us, but haven't seen this on our GBP. This is the first time I've seen this in our local market.

Thank you for sharing!

@Langandq if you just have a single GBP go to Update your browser to manage your Business Profile - Google Business Profile Help on a non-mobile device and you should see the service area map at the top right.

Unless you have a visible address AND have service areas selected in addition to that. It will just show your location pin on the map in that case I believe.

@JS Girard Oh that's interesting, where do I find that reference in the guidelines?

If you have different locations for your service business, with separate service areas and separate staff at each location, you’re allowed one profile for each location. The boundaries of your profile’s overall service area shouldn’t extend farther than about 2 hours of driving time from where your business is based. For some businesses, larger service areas may be appropriate.
The "separate staff" thing is intended to stop businesses from spamming a metro area. I feel it's more logical for your situation to have separate GBPs each with a sensible service area than this somewhat ridiculous-looking thing it leaves you with. From the point of view of Google, you're probably an odd duck for sure.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Live Webinar - Local SEO Audits

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom