More threads by 1moreroom.co.uk

Reaction score
hi guys,

I want to understand how the map markers work. And wondered if amy of you can help me.

I've attached a screen shot of a search in my area. Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 13.33.07.jpg
It has all the businesses around me labelled with their names but my business is just the small red dot and does not have my name next to the dot.
When I zoom in further my dot completely disappears and (I H D architecture services) marker remains on the page.
Am I doing something wrong with my listing?

Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 13.33.07.jpg

A link to your page as Scott mentioned would be very helpful.

The reason for what you are seeing could be due to several factors:

1. Google doesn't have enough information (trust) about your business to show it as a predominant result
2. It could be a factor of where the search is being performed, which can affect the maps radius

Thanks...Also, looking at Maps it looks like that location is in a private residence. Is this a web based company? Do you have a storefront that people can visit?

On another note, Searching your phone number in Google shows the #1 position as a 404 (www.1moreroom.co.uk/get-in-touch)

Also, Here is a list of Guidelines for naming your GMB page

Click on the Learn More Under "Name"

Thanks...Also, looking at Maps it looks like that location is in a private residence. Is this a web based company? Do you have a storefront that people can visit?

On another note, Searching your phone number in Google shows the #1 position as a 404 (www.1moreroom.co.uk/get-in-touch)

I operate from a home. So home office. The rest of the business also listed in that picture do the same thing excpet of IHD who have just moved from a home office to a storefront.

forgive my naivety here, as I've I'm only just starting to get my head around all this google+/local business stuff.

Ok I will check out the 404 and fix that now

Also, Here is a list of Guidelines for naming your GMB page

Click on the Learn More Under "Name"

Ok just had a read through that, thank you.

So because the business name 1MoreRoom.co.uk also represents a web domain, it will likely cause issues? And I'd be better off going along the lines of the other businesses around me and call it 1MoreRoom Architectural Sevices

Ok just had a read through that, thank you.

So because the business name 1MoreRoom.co.uk also represents a web domain, it will likely cause issues? And I'd be better off going along the lines of the other businesses around me and call it 1MoreRoom Architectural Sevices

If I was in this position I would name the business "1MoreRoom Architectural Sevices" or 1MoreRoom". You don't have a storefront, so you're not going to be able to compete with actual businesses with store fronts in Google Maps. There are tips and tricks that you can do. Linda offers some great training in this area and its money well spent.

Im sure others will pipe in....

If I was in this position I would name the business "1MoreRoom Architectural Sevices" or 1MoreRoom". You don't have a storefront, so you're not going to be able to compete with actual businesses with store fronts in Google Maps. There are tips and tricks that you can do. Linda offers some great training in this area and its money well spent.

Im sure others will pipe in....

Thank you for your input, I would consider changing the name to "1MoreRoom" if its going to help me. Are there ny links to this training?

Another thing I found interesting, is my marker is the tiny unlabelled dot, but IHD and in house design are the same business/service and are registered on google maps at storefront location as IHD and their residential address as in house design and both seem more visible than mine and are with in half a mile. :/

I obviously have a lot of research to do.

Untitled.png

---------- Post Merged at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:28 PM ----------

awesome thank you

Untitled.png

Thanks for all your great advice Scott, Colan and Justin!

If I was in this position I would name the business "1MoreRoom Architectural Sevices" or 1MoreRoom"

Actually I would really caution changing name until you fully understand & research so you can do it right. Even if a company has to totally rebrand to a completely different name for legal reasons or whatever, Google is VERY unforgiving about name changes and it could mess you up for months.

However the name MUST be right. So if it's wrong you must change it. JUST DON'T CHANGE willy nilly, then realize it was not the right advice and have to change it again. Carefully research and make sure you get it right.

But it may not be wrong. It's fine to have your URL as your business name IF: It's your legal name. AND it's the name you always go by everywhere. Phone book, directories, signs, bank acct etc.

But if that's NOT the official name and the name is really 1MoreRoom, then it's a violation to add "Architectural Services" to the name. If it's a tagline or just keywords, not part of the official name, you can't add additional words.

So what is the official legal name? How do people write the check? What is the name on your business and professional license??? The phone book? Business directories?

Answer those Qs and we'll be close to knowing which way to go. If you've used a mixture of names, then we have more problems to work through.

Thanks for all your great advice Scott, Colan and Justin!

Actually I would really caution changing name until you fully understand & research so you can do it right. Even if a company has to totally rebrand to a completely different name for legal reasons or whatever, Google is VERY unforgiving about name changes and it could mess you up for months.

However the name MUST be right. So if it's wrong you must change it. JUST DON'T CHANGE willy nilly, then realize it was not the right advice and have to change it again. Carefully research and make sure you get it right.

But it may not be wrong. It's fine to have your URL as your business name IF: It's your legal name. AND it's the name you always go by everywhere. Phone book, directories, signs, bank acct etc.

But if that's NOT the official name and the name is really 1MoreRoom, then it's a violation to add "Architectural Services" to the name. If it's a tagline or just keywords, not part of the official name, you can't add additional words.

So what is the official legal name? How do people write the check? What is the name on your business and professional license??? The phone book? Business directories?

Answer those Qs and we'll be close to knowing which way to go. If you've used a mixture of names, then we have more problems to work through.

Hi Linda,

Thank you for your reply. The name has always been 1MoreRoom.co.uk. Its how it goes out on all my invoices, it part of my logo and how I'm register on directories like Yell and thompsonlocal etc.
(with the exception of directories that wont allow me to put .co.uk in the title)

Hi Linda,

Thank you for your reply. The name has always been 1MoreRoom.co.uk. Its how it goes out on all my invoices, it part of my logo and how I'm register on directories like Yell and thompsonlocal etc.
(with the exception of directories that wont allow me to put .co.uk in the title)

OK so that's still a little gray. Because Google can't read your invoices.

BUT she reads all the directories, so if some are with .co.uk and some are without...

What name is on business and professional licenses and in the phone book?

Thanks Linda. I should have clarified that a bit more.

No worries Justin, you were fine! Thanks for helping!

OK so that's still a little gray. Because Google can't read your invoices.

BUT she reads all the directories, so if some are with .co.uk and some are without...

What name is on business and professional licenses and in the phone book?

Hi Linda,

We don't have professional licenses here to act as a architectural services company. There is a national registry if we decide to go limited (LTD) which within the next year we will.

We could certainly look in to doing that sooner if its going to increase our visibility. (LTD) details are made public online by the government.

Yell and Thompson provide the local phone books for business and we are registered with them as 1moreroom.co.uk

The intension is to only go by the name 1MoreRoom.co.uk.. Just checking all my listing on online directories, and every listing is as 1moreroom.co.uk
both twitter and instagram are also 1moreroom.co.uk but the handles are @1moreroom as I cant put .co.uk on the end of them.

So so far everything is listed as 1moreroom.co.uk so hopefully I haven't shot my self in the foot here so to speak.

Then my opinion, based on what I know, is leave the name as is. The name should be the name. So if that's the name officially and used everywhere consistently you should be good.

However it's complicated and there are different views, so let's see if anyone weighs in with anything else.

Re Place Labels here is what Google has to say:
https://support.google.com/business/answer/6056435?hl=en

Linda, you've been a great help in helping me understand this a little bit more thank you.

Sounds like I just need to work at making myself more visible.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom