Reaction score
It's always good to cram your head full of technical info on a Friday. If you're not brain-dead from the week, pop on over and read. There is some great info in this post.

Google Panda: Understanding the Technical Inner Workings

The concept of a search engine is very simple. Database the location of pages and return the most relevant results.
Primitive search engines only understood words on the pages in their database and returned pages that included those searched words. Google essentially came along with the ability to reorder those search results based on how many other pages on the Internet linked to them.

Greg Schueler

Reaction score
Ha.. Well, I didn't think I was brain dead from the week, but after looking at that article, I realize I will need to come back to it when my brain power is refreshed. :eek:

Looks like some really good details though, so thanks for sharing!

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised people are still concerned with Panda. I had to stop reading the article halfway through. I can't comprehend any of it at the moment.

He mentioned in the article that according to the patent Panda isn't a penalty. I think that's just semantics. It seems like maybe Panda boosted the scores of websites that were unique while not affecting sites with copied content. Kind of like "my ranking dropped today" but are you sure that your competitors ranking didn't just jump today?

Sounds semantic to me.

Also, I understand "don't use copied content" sounds simplistic to avoid Panda but do we need to make it any more complicated?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
O The Honda Coronet car cruises at constant speed to accelerate understanding Recycle Bin 0
S GMB/map rankings, could not understand how these got sorted out in the rankings Ranking Puzzles 1
M Understanding the GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 4
bczubiak Understanding Traffic From Blog Articles. Is it helping Locally? Local Content 11
Eric Rohrback How well do prospects understand what you do? Consultant's Corner 3
Tim Sweeney Understanding How Google Maps Formats Street Addresses Along Highways Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet 5 Ways Understanding Differences Between Map Maker & GMB Guidelines Can Help You Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Dustybones Understanding Google and Alphabet Local Search 4
Eric Rohrback Understanding Target Audience Consultant's Corner 5
1 Understanding Map markers? Google My Business & Google Maps 21
Dustybones Understanding The Google Answer Box & Knowledge Graph Local Search 0
Dustybones Understanding Google's future of Deep Learning: Whiteboard Friday Local Search 0
djbaxter Conversion Lift: Helping Marketers Better Understand the Impact of Facebook Ads Mobile & Social 0
Dustybones Semantic Search in 1975: Helping us understand SEO today Local Search 0
Dustybones Understanding the Google + Review Filter: Local Visibility System Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Dustybones Brightlocal Review Survey helps us understand consumers Local Reviews 2
Dustybones Understanding Semantic Search, Google, and Anchor text Local Search 0
Dustybones MATT CUTTS: Understanding the quality of a webpage that doesn't have links Local Search 2
Linda Buquet Understanding Consumers' Local Search Behavior - Google Infographic Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Dustybones STUDY: Understanding headlines in blog posts that go viral Local Search 0
Dustybones A few things SMB's don't understand about SEO Local Search 0
djbaxter Disavow & Link Removal: Understanding Google Organic SEO 2
Travis Van Slooten An Awesome Resource To Understand Google's Guidelines in Plain English Organic SEO 1
Colan Nielsen Understanding How ATM's and the Like Fit In Google My Business & Google Maps 3
S Trying To Understand G+ and Authorship.... Google Local 101 10
M Help me understand why we can't rank in the top 3? Help & Support for Google Local 4
S Help Me Understand Why I'm not ranking Help & Support for Google Local 16
Simon James Just to check my understanding of the current state of play for multiple locations... Help & Support for Google Local 17
djbaxter Webinar Technical SEO Help Hour Oct. 28 Events 0
JoyHawkins [Technical Issue] Don't Change the Address on Service Area Business Listings Google News: Important Changes & Features 5
hajnasiewicz Non Technical info re: Mobile First Indexing Marketing 2
j_holtslander Technical: Search Console ignoring "Do not index" directives? Consultant's Corner 4
JoyHawkins Technical Issues Impacting Review Replies Local Reviews 2
JoyHawkins Known Technical Issue Impacting GMB Photos Google My Business & Google Maps 24
KevinWag Is this technically against Google's guidelines? Local Search 7
C Citation Clean Up - How to Overcome Technical Issues? Citations 14
Dustybones White Board Friday: What You Need to Know About Technical SEO Organic SEO 1
Linda Buquet Technical Local SEO: Beyond Schema - Semantic Search Strategy Local Search 3
Linda Buquet Amazing List of Schema, Microdata & Technical SEO Analysis Tools Local SEO Tools & Software 0
djbaxter Does John Mueller have a side gig? Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
djbaxter Tales of Horror from the Dark Side of Google My Business Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
Cordell Crowley Getting two side-by-side businesses of the same type to show up on Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 4
AndySimpson Data Studio Report for "What Where Why When and How"...with a little local SEO on the side Local SEO Tools & Software 6
Digitaldar How to trigger (GMB?) box on right side of Google SERP for non branded search? Local Search 3
P Google no longer shows ads on right side, adds another ad spot to the top of the SERP Local Search 1
M Why listing is different on the right side of search Local Search 1
Linda Buquet Which Local Review Sites Are on Your Side? by Phil Rozek Local Reviews 2