More threads by UnusualSubstance

It is definitely concerning - but not enough to panic. I am sure they will sort it out, but if they don't - I would only assume WP Engine can provide a solution to move to another hosting provider.

The only issue at the moment is we can't download new plugins or update new plugin. We tried to manually update them - and it still works.

I can see both sides, but going public with it in an attempt of public shaming, and then saying things along the lines of 'vote with your dollars. do you really want to support someone that doesn't support you' (not a direct quote - a summary of what was said.

In the end, blocking WPEngine from accessing wordpress.org is a mistake - users who don't update their plugins and themes and rely on auto-updates are the real ones hurt on this. And insecure plugins and themes is just an insane idea. But it does go to show just how vulnerable the entire system is if someone decides to pack up their toys and not share.

WPEngine has workarounds already in place - but it's just such an unneeded issue. Yes money is involved, and it's not just a few hundred thousand either.

There WILL be a compromise of some sort. Who will cave first remains to be seen, but there will be a resolution. I don't think either side is winning anyone over right now.

Filing for the trademark of "managed Wordpress" is going to hurt more than just WPEngine also - pretty much every web designer out there has verbiage like that, so I don't know how the USPTO will say "YES" to a filing - but if they did, the enforcement would be a nightmare project!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

Events

LocalU October 2024 Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom