HoosierBuff

Reaction score
I'm curious what the group thinks - I wish I could post this as an anonymous poll.

But: assuming the client does do things to screw it up, what is your typical success rate with a client. Define success how you want, but, I judge my own as "Clear win" (traffic clearly higher), "win" "unclear" or "fail".

With all that goes on in local, and with seasonality, and so many clients that don't have year over year history it gets hard for me to put as many as I would like in the "clear win" category.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
That's a great Q HoosierBuff!

Seems like the more things change, the more diverse local search gets, the more hazy it becomes to see clear wins!

Let me share and try to get some pros to weigh in. It's a great topic and I'm anxious to see the answers!

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I've only had 1 clear fail in my time. Bad market + bad industry. They didn't sign back and I encouraged them not to as it wasn't working for them.

Had 2 not sign back for different reasons. One had his brother-in-law become the CFO of another SEO agency and they said they would do it for free for 6 months (can't beat that out) and the other backed out at renewal after asking me to send the new contract over. I called and called but could never get to the bottom of it. Still haven't heard back from them to this day.

The cool thing about SEO is that if you do your job well, you can always sleep easy at night. For instance, for both of those clients that stopped SEO for their own reasons, I still watch leads roll in weekly. They're still making money on something they're no longer paying me for. I don't know any other type of marketing that does that. That's why I feel so blessed to be in this industry. You just can't lose.

Besides the 1 clear fail, the rest I would label as "clear wins".

Overall, I've lost 3 clients in 4 years. I've phased many out with my pricing but that's to be expected.

Retention rate at about 95%.

You can do the same :) Good luck!

CodyBaird

Reaction score
I love this question. I'm not sure how to answer without thinking a little more about it. Hell, I'm not even sure I know what a clear win is somedays. Excited to hear others definitions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Gordon.Ligon SAB stuck in Pending after successful Post Card Verification 2+ months ago Service Area Businesses 2
Nicole Basham Success Having Multiple GMB Offers Up Simultaneously? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
T Has anyone had success reporting schema spam to google? Spam on Google 5
Lachlan_Wells Have you successfully removed an off-topic review? Local Reviews 6
M Anyone here doing CPA Marketing with success? Marketing 0
T Finding Joy and Success in Real Estate Recycle Bin 0
Brian Bender Any success removing former and/or disgruntled employees' negative reviews? Local Reviews 8
georgebizpro What have been your most successful marketing method for landing new SEO clients? Consultant's Corner 1
mikepetersonwi Successful business being acquired - How to save the SEO value of their site Organic SEO 4
M Spam Re: Conrad Saam on How to Run a Successful Local Marketing Agency Recycle Bin 0
Linda Buquet 9 Local SEO Experts Share 1 Secret to Local Search Success - Search Engine Journal Consultant's Corner 2
Priya Chandra What Julia Child's wire whisk can teach you about Local Search success Local Search 4
JoyHawkins Have You Had Success Reporting GMB Spam Google My Business & Google Maps 11
CodyBaird Angie's List Paid Advertising: How much monthly? Any success with dental clients Marketing 1
Dustybones Great Local SEO Is About Great Marketing: 16 Ideas To Success Local Search 1
Linda Buquet Scratch that Niche! Focus on a Niche for Local Search Success Consultant's Corner 6
K Re: Building Reviews for Local Search Success - Free InsideLocal Webinar Recycle Bin 0
Linda Buquet Five (5) Under-Appreciated Sources for Local Link Building Success by LSEO Local Search 4
Linda Buquet How to Have a Successful Local SEO Campaign in 2015 - By Casey Meraz @ Moz Local Search 0
Jo Shaer Webmaster Tools to Google My Business Success Google My Business & Google Maps 0
O Any success with keeping reviews.. Moving or Name Changes 7
onebluesummer Any success with keeping reviews.. Moving or Name Changes 7
Linda Buquet 5 Keys to Local Search Success - By Rand Fishkin - Local U Advanced Local Search 1
Dustybones Your Local SEO is a success. Now what? Local Search 0
Linda Buquet 3 Successful Google+ Local Page Examples, iAcqure Blog Google My Business & Google Maps 1
L Blueprint for Multi-Location Local SEO Success Multi-Location Issues 0
Linda Buquet Blueprint for Multi-Location Local SEO Success Multi-Location Issues 0
Linda Buquet Local Ranking Blueprint - Prioritize for Success - Darren Shaw @SearchLove Local Search 0
V Dexknows Local citation source add listing success Local Search 13
Linda Buquet Local SEO Simplified - 5 Essential Tactics for Success Local Search 1
Linda Buquet Video is Live! Build Reviews for Local Search Success Webinar Local Reviews 1
M Share your local SEO success as inspiration for others Local Search 1
L Tracking Success Consultant's Corner 0
Linda Buquet Local SEO S.A.L.S.A. Recipe - Great Recipe for Success Local Search 2
Linda Buquet Local SEO Roadmap to Success - Research to Boost Rankings Local Search 5
Linda Buquet Local in 2013: What to Focus on for Success Local Search 1
David Fesler For the Sake of Sanity - Setting Clients up for Future Success Consultant's Corner 12
Colan Nielsen Re: Setting Your Local SEO Business Up for Success Recycle Bin 0
Linda Buquet Setting Your Local SEO Business Up for Success Consultant's Corner 5
MiriamEllis What Would Success In Local Mean To You? Local Search 8
NexstarNickR Google Star Rating: LSA vs. GMB All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
R GMB star rating popup on mobile Local Reviews 4
Professor M Google slapped in France over misleading hotel star ratings Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
PaulSteinbrueck Average Google rating no longer in Google Knowledge Panel? Local Reviews 8
E What is the Click Through Rate / Conversion Rate for GMB or Local 3 Pack listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
H Facebook removing recommendations and ratings Mobile & Social 2
A Facebook page rating keeps fluctuating Local Reviews 5
NickB-Tampa Listing with no ratings and incorrect address outranking listings for same business with good ratings and proper addresses Google My Business & Google Maps 5
xds40 Top Rated Icon Google My Business & Google Maps 3
C How to include review rating in rich snippet? Local Content 1