Chris Ratchford

LocalU Member
Reaction score
I have a client who's had problems w/ Google Maps/Places for a long time.

I noticed that when you search the address of their office, Google shows a marker in the wrong location. I've contacted MapMaker over a year ago... and again and again.

I accessed the city/county GIS website and noticed that they too have a discrepancy with street address and location of the building.

Here's a screenshot explaining the issue. How can we get this resolved w/out having to get local gov't involved?

Madison-AL-GOV-GIS.jpg

Madison-AL-GOV-GIS.jpg

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Chris,

Try searching for the address on Google Maps, select Report A Problem and then select " <label msgid="14635" for="mps-address-misplaced" jstcache="0" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: arial, sans-serif;">The marker is misplaced on the map"

You can then move it to the correct spot. If you can support the edit with a link to something to verify the proper location, great :)

I've had success with doing it this way a few times in the past.</label>

---------- Post Merged at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:06 PM ----------

I've contacted MapMaker over a year ago... and again and again.

What do you mean? How did you contact them?

Chris Ratchford

LocalU Member
Reaction score
Hi Colan,

The problem isn't just the wrong pin, but the street block markings are off.

I contacted MM by going to Google Map Maker. Is that what you're asking?

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I'd post in the Map Maker forum and get a pro mapper or Googler to help you.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/map-maker

If you can see pending edits that never got approved, post in review edit requests.
Or post basically what you did above in the general forum I would think, asking for help getting it fixed.

Reaction score
Timely question, we are having an issue getting changes approved for one location.

The scraper has made a mess of things, marker is off, etc., and it has been going crazy since April.

I've had pretty good luck with approvals until now but I noticed that you can also protest a denial and leave a comment.

Keep us posted on your progress...

a11c

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

I moved the location of the address (not the business marker) so that when someone searches by address, the address marker displays in the correct area. Once the edit is approved on MapMaker, the address marker should be correct. For me, address changes typically take a few days to be approved.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Alex rocks! Can we call you our new MM rockstar now? :p

Chris Ratchford

LocalU Member
Reaction score
@allc Alex,

Good karma coming to you! I really appreciate your help!

Can't thank you enough!!!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C Directories That Accept Citation Without Street Address? (Besides Google & Bing) Local Search 0
Tim Sweeney Understanding How Google Maps Formats Street Addresses Along Highways Google My Business & Google Maps 4
D Google Changed My Address (Street Name) Help & Support for Google Local 9
petrakraft Address change of streets and numbers by the village government Google My Business & Google Maps 2
R New Dashboard - Should Addresses Display with Abbreviated Street Names? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
P Street Address Showing Even When It's Been "Hidden" Service Area Businesses 9
Phil Rozek Street Address Showing Even When It's Been "Hidden" Service Area Businesses 9
R Could hiding a street address in G+ Local cause issues with scraper IYP sites? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
K Does Suite number before street address cause problems? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 23
K Does Suite number before street address cause problems? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 23
david.victor 360 photos with Street View app? Local Content 7
Jeffrey Listings showing in street view Google My Business & Google Maps 1
S Street View & Street Name Issue Google My Business & Google Maps 3
V Google Street View Editing issue Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Bing Street View car on Family Guy Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 3
Grabgooglesgoogles Verified and optimised GMB listing doesn't show up on maps when viewing the street (unlike every other local business which does). Help & Support for Google Local 8
Tim Colling Street name change Local Search 7
djbaxter Street view this, Google! Oh... and woof! Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 1
Martin Briggs Verified GMB listing with no street number - how to proceed? Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Linda Buquet Emulate Location to Street Level to Check Google Local Rankings - Chrome Extension Local SEO Tools & Software 2
B Google Street View App, Getting Google Street View Trusted Photographer Status Google Business View 13
bhartzer Google Street View App, Getting Google Street View Trusted Photographer Status Google My Business & Google Maps 13
L Updated google street view image for listing which is incorrect Local Search 8
James Watt Google Street View Update Schedule Google My Business & Google Maps 0
I How to update Street View image on GMB listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
D Street with 2 names in Google - Re Citations Citations 2
T Is Google's Street View | Trust Photographer Program Worth It? Google Business View 8
Travis Van Slooten Is Google's Street View | Trust Photographer Program Worth It? Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Dustybones Google's "Street View Trusted" Launching Soon Google My Business & Google Maps 1
RR415 How does Google handle street name abbreviations? Local Search 4
Linda Buquet Local Search Webinar for Consultants: Selling to SMBs in 2015 from Street Fight Consultant's Corner 0
B rebranded, moved across the street, then expanded to neighboring space, and more! Moving or Name Changes 1
B rebranded, moved across the street, then expanded to neighboring space, and more! Moving or Name Changes 1
Amber Robinson Service Road vs Highway as Street name Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Linda Buquet Pigeon, Mobile, User Centroid & Local Search Spend - David Mihm @ Street Fight Local Search 0
Linda Buquet The Year in Local Search: A Timeline of the Top Stories of 2014 - Street Fight Local Search 5
J Client moves office to a new location a few streets away Moving or Name Changes 6
Jo Shaer Client moves office to a new location a few streets away Moving or Name Changes 6
M Google Street View Google My Business & Google Maps 2
R Verify Business Page, No Street Number Listed on Postcard Google My Business & Google Maps 13
L How to reset the address that has been hidden on GMB, if they move locations? Local Search 1
L Does selecting a service area for hidden address business have negative effects? Moving or Name Changes 1
S How to remove a GMB from maps of a previous owner who ran 3 businesses from the same address Google My Business & Google Maps 6
valentinb13 GMB uses residential address—but client wants to use PO Box for other citations... Citations 3
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Two Different Business Places at the Same Address: Should I Add Them to GMB? Local Search 1
B Will Removing Addresses for Multiple State SAB Result in Dup Listing or Suspension? Service Area Businesses 4
M Google keeps reverting our clients address, no matter how many times we send a postcard Moving or Name Changes 4
S GMB Address Update for SAB Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Dino Google not updating an address. Any ideas? Moving or Name Changes 2
A Multiple service based locations in different provinces with one physical address Multi-Location Issues 1