More threads by Oliver Keates

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am looking for the most suitable worpress hosting service as i am starting a blog for my personal brand. Can anyone recommend a hosting platform for wordpress, i am located in the UK.

Thanks

Solution
Hey Oliver, we absolutely love SiteGround hosting. They have a datacenter in London. We have tried pretty much all the other major hosting companies and none of them compare with the satisfaction level we have with SG. Price is very competitive, customer service is fantastic, no downsides that we have experienced. Also, they offer free SSL certs and a quality free in-house CDN solution.
Totally agree with Conor on this, it is more of a personal choice. However, if you are wanting to eventually build out websites for other clients, I'd really lean towards Elementor or Divi. We are a Divi shop but it does typically have a steeper learning curve than Elementor. You really can't go wrong with any of the three, but I personally think you will quickly find the limitations going straight with Gutenberg. Here's a fairly decent comparison of Divi and Elementor.

Thanks, after reading more about Gutenburgh and Elementor i am actually going to use Elementor. Thanks for the article. Do you guys have any recommendations on a basic wp theme that works well with Elementor?

Thanks, after reading more about Gutenburgh and Elementor i am actually going to use Elementor. Thanks for the article. Do you guys have any recommendations on a basic wp theme that works well with Elementor?

Just to clarify, Elementor and Divi besides being custom page-builders also have lots of pre-configured templates for you to choose from. I'm not sure about Elementor, but Divi has several hundred templates to pick from and many are categorized by industry/vertical. I believe that Elementor has at least a couple dozen templates and probably more if you have the Pro version. Many people will interchange theme and template, but they have different meanings especially when it comes to Elementor and Divi, then there are also child themes :). I'm not very versed on Elementor, hopefully Conor will chime in with his thoughts.

Hey @Oliver Keates

Not really any specific suggestion of one over another, it's really just about how you want it laid out and how you will update. I'm a big fan of minimalism in my life, but it doesn't always work that way on websites.

If you're going to be supporting your blog using advertising, you'll want to make sure you've either got header banners, 250x250 blocks in a sidebar, or the option for a skyscraper banner (250x720 I think?).

As with any theme, I tend to stay away from the all-in-one type themes, but that's a personal preference. I'm very familiar with WordPress so I make my own plugins, functions and shortcodes for the areas where I need something.

At the end of the day, the theme should be separate from your SEO tools and functions. This way, you can change themes and not have a huge headache. You'll still have a headache when changing themes, you always do, but having things separate in Yoast, RankMath or AllInOneSEO is helpful so you don't have extra tables/fields in your database which ultimately leads to speed.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom