More threads by shondarogers

Reaction score
My client already has a places listing and a dashboard. Should i still create a local + page and merge the two? Just afraid i might have missed something in all the latest updates and changes.

Thanks!
Shonda

Re: With all the changes should we still merge google places with google + Local page

No Google has been saying wait all along and they still say wait.

This is just a partial update, it has not even started rolling out yet and when it hits it will only be phase 1 and this whole thing is still evolving. If you merge now and then once everything is finished it's possible that if you did it the old way, you may need to jump through hoops to make everything work right.

Best to wait til the dust settles and Google says it's time to merge and there is an easy process to do so.

I know there is a ton of info and it's hard to keep up with, but be sure to read this
IMPORTANT FAQ which basically says several times, just hang tight and don't do anything yet!
More details about the improved look and feel of Google Places for Business

FYI it's usually a bad idea to do ANY editing in dashboard during major updates. If it were me and I still had clients I'd be telling them everything is on hold til this update hits and stabilizes. But that's me. I'm pretty conservative and gun shy just because I see so many problems.

Re: With all the changes should we still merge google places with google + Local page

ok - thanks, linda

ok - can i create the G+ local business page and not merge? Or just don't do anything?

Yes, there is no reason why you can't go ahead and create the business page and NOT merge it. The only thing that seems like it MIGHT be a best practice, considering the layout of the new dashboard, would be to ensure that the business page is created with the same account as the G+ Local page. Definitely not a requirement, but it looks like it might help smooth things out moving forward.

Yes Colan, great points all. I didn't mean to say don't create a G+ page in local category yet. That's fine to do. Just don't try to verify it yet - which would merge it with the Place page. Merging is what I would hold off on.

And as Colan said if you create a G+ page be sure to do it in the same account as that way eventually when this is all ready to go, it will be a one button upgrade.

Thanks guys for the extra input!

Question about verifying the google+ business page - if i don't verify then none of my changes will show up...(according the the message when i go to edit business information). Am i correct? It's so hard to just be patient and wait to verify!!!

No that's BAD messaging but the big G. And I've told them it's causing problems.

Edit and your changes will show.

What they mean is if all you had was a G+ page your info would not show in search or maps, you have to verify for that. BUT you've got a separate G+L page showing in search and maps. So do G+, edit G+ just don't verify.

got it - THANKS!!!

Hey Linda Et. Al. I'm giving this page a bump as it's currently a conundrum that I'm dealing with.

I currently have clients at all three stages of this "merge" process.

I have some new places pages with the new dashboard, some with old places, and some that have already merged and migrated.

I read this post on SEL Google Upgrades Its Google Places Dashboard With Google+ Local Integration Which set off alarm bells in my head.

I remember there being a page on google somewhere giving you directions for each specific case but am unable to find it. Does anyone have a link to that page?

It says something like: if creating a new page, do it in +local

If you have an old places page, just wait.

Are we still holding off on merging? I was able to merge several places pages, so the process seems to be working.

If I'm not worried about them showing in the SERPS, but want to future proof each places account, does it make sense to move & merge them, or is the recommendation to wait no matter what?

If I'm not worried about them showing in the SERPS, but want to future proof each places account, does it make sense to move & merge them, or is the recommendation to wait no matter what?

Hi Drew,

If you want to future proof, avoid bugs and hair pulling and possibly even avoid having to be in such a mess you have to delete and start over - then seriously I would just wait.

(Trying to future proof and be pro-active is logical - Google Local is not logical!)

If you've already merged some and they are good - then great, you are lucky. Leave as is.

But if not merged yet or no G+ biz page I would strongly recommend waiting and Google does too.

Here is my initial announcement with links to all the Google help docs, FAQs, etc.
http://localsearchforum.catalystema...r-update-new-google-places-dashboard-all.html

Thanks Linda,

I tend to agree, I just hate for it to be a hangup when running campaigns. There are a lot of other listings, content updates etc. that also need to be dealt with, and I hate to pour all of that extra time solely into places. (I don't use any of the power listings options, but manually place & verify all listings)

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom