Reaction score
I am expressing this in the simplest terms even though I know that makes it kind of simplistic but there we are

1. Dealing just with the GMB profile.

2. If a really great description SCORES YOU 10 POINTS re getting you in the 3 pack for your target keywords what does a really great services section , photos, regular posts (say 1 a day ) SCORE YOU.

3. Answer might be

Description 10 (but first 250 characters is 8 of that 10)
Secondary categories 3
Services 3
Photos 3
Products 1
Posts 1 (but only because any photos added to photos)

Please feel free to add other attributes and also add qualifiers / conditional type statements in brackets eg

Appointments link (1 because gets you more clicks /activity /use of from GMB)
Google Messaging (1 because increases trust)
Owner Reply to reviews (2 but only if owner uses to add in keywords geo type text otherwise 1)

PS I have left out primary category because its so important and effects everything else. And I am fine if you want to say its a stupid question but if you can answer it with that qualifier that would really help! Finally yes I get it making a GMB look loved and all filled out is great independently of ranking for click through, conversions presence organic SEO generally but if you could please answer anyway

Thanks

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
The only things I have found in GMB that have direct impact on ranking are:

1. The business name
2. The categories used (primary holds more weight)
3. The URL you link the website field to
4. Reviews (content & quantity)

Based on lots of testing, I've found everything else has little-to-no direct impact on ranking.

djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
If a really great description SCORES YOU 10 POINTS re getting you in the 3 pack for your target keywords what does a really great services section , photos, regular posts (say 1 a day ) SCORE YOU.
What does "SCORES YOU 10 POINTS" actually mean? Scores points with whom or for what? :confused:

In any "If... Then..." statement, where the If part is false the Then part is irrelevant, n'est-ce pas?

Reaction score
You present an interesting question, but possibly not in terms of only ranking. Assuming that Joy is correct (probably wise) the question becomes what is the impact on searcher engagement/website clicks/calls/driving directions/walk-ins based on the GMB profile elements you identify.

It's not only a matter of being found it search/maps, but of being selected compared to other options.

ash-grin

Reaction score
The only things I have found in GMB that have direct impact on ranking are:

1. The business name
2. The categories used (primary holds more weight)
3. The URL you link the website field to
4. Reviews (content & quantity)

Based on lots of testing, I've found everything else has little-to-no direct impact on ranking.

Hi Joy, are you factoring in GMB posts as not a ranking factor? Or do you just mean out of the actual information you can add to the listing, this list is the only important ranking elements?

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies .....its a very minimalist set of signals Google takes from the GMB ....My problem is the same as we all have how to rank across multiple related business areas when the 3 Pack is dominated by those with the "right" primary category for that search....its each for your primary category harder after that

AND YES I agree conversions zoom up if your information panel is beautifully presented and current.

ps djbaxter very eloqaquent of you but you know what I mean ...everyone else worked it out

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P Claiming 100 locations on Google Maps - what's the best approach? Multi-Location Issues 4
Y One of my rivals bought 5 stars 100 spam reviews in 2 weeks Google does not care Google My Business & Google Maps 1
bruce@brucejone List Of Over 100 Free SEO Tools Recycle Bin 0
N Client with 100+ Locations wants to use GMB Messaging. What are the options? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
N Page Hated Within 100-Mile Radius Of City, Loved Outside It Local Search 10
Linda Buquet Terrible Fake Trump Business Reviews could cost the #Trump Empire $100 Million. SAD! Local Reviews 2
T 2Captcha: Solve reCaptcah without emulation and 100% correctly Recycle Bin 0
Ryan77 100's of Page 1 Rankings Already - How To Better Optimize The Home Page? Local Search 11
Linda Buquet Top 100 Local Business Directories/Citations for Local SEO by Andrew Shotland @Yext Citations 12
Conor Treacy Maps not showing, or centered 100's miles away. Local Search 5
K Google Testing 100% Pay-To-Play Nearby Local Business Ads At Top of SERPs Paid Search and Local Service Ads 20
Linda Buquet Surprise! Google Top 100 Most Expensive Keywords - Lots of Local Nuggets in Here Local Search 9
Linda Buquet Top Local Citation Sites for Top 100 US Cities Citations 0
L 100 Dynamite Ideas for SMB Blog Posts - Get Those Clients Blogging! Local Content 0
Linda Buquet 100 Dynamite Ideas for SMB Blog Posts - Get Those Clients Blogging! Local Content 0
A Listing Management for 100+ Locations Multi-Location Issues 17
Adamk Listing Management for 100+ Locations Multi-Location Issues 17
Broland Top 100+ Free Citation Sources (U.S.A) Citations 0
Colan Nielsen We Have Submitted Our Client To Over 100 Directories, Time To Switch Gears. Citations 9
C 100% Complete Doesn't Impact Ranking NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 8
Colan Nielsen 100% Complete Doesn't Impact Ranking NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 8
G Google+ Local 100% complete Local Search 5
hannahmoen "Work" Replacing Business Name on GMB for Business Owner Help & Support for Google Local 3
M Removing old GMB listing from previous owner of premises Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Vincent_Bakker Can't control GMB because primary owner died Google My Business & Google Maps 5
S 2 GMB Suspended for Two Different Owners Multi-Location Issues 4
J Same Location, Same Owners, Still a Restaurant, Total Rebrand Local Search 3
0 Primary Owner hospitalized and has a stroke. Need to add myself as a manager. Verifying via phone calls only grants me Site Manager access. Help & Support for Google Local 2
S How to remove a GMB from maps of a previous owner who ran 3 businesses from the same address Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Shelly Reciprocal review network between small business owners Local Reviews 30
P New biz owner - how to start and grow? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Zdenek Horak Interesting review: the owner sends an email and offers money Local Reviews 5
C Help: new owner for biz, former employee created GMB, posting offensive photos and won't relinquish Help & Support for Google Local 12
N Creating new location groups, does it affect other owners/managers' views? Multi-Location Issues 2
EmilyW Manager/owner account suspended? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Greg Bernhardt Creating a GMB listing for attorney owner of law firm Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Norbert Z. GMB owner - impact on positions? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
S Im owner for this restaurant ( Susie lehn) Contact Us Messages 1
Caroline S Listing Suspended, Business Owner Upset, What Do I Do? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
K Map Pin Does Not Show When Business Owner Googles Their Address Google My Business & Google Maps 1
H Q&A answers from "owner" not showing up Google My Business & Google Maps 3
K Request to Manage GMB Listing as Site Owner Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Creativedge GMB page isn't working. Primary owner was suspended? Help & Support for Google Local 1
annatindal GMB Setup - New Business, Second Service-Area Business for Owner Google My Business & Google Maps 14
sixthcitysarah Any way to escalate GMB issues (pending verified listing, adding owners, etc.)??? Help & Support for Google Local 6
Niki Gross Edit Q&A Response as Owner Google My Business & Google Maps 1
L Google now allows Site Owners to Customize the Search Results Snippets, but what can be customized? Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
Lanerizz Prepopulating Q & A Section as Owner Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Cagro Third parties responding as owners to Google reviews Local Reviews 5
Tim Colling Is Google notifying GMB owners about new Questions yet/still? Google My Business & Google Maps 10