Reaction score
5 Types of Phrases in Online Reviews that Create Customer Distrust

Customer-Distrust.jpg

Remember Amy and Samy Bouzaglo?

They?re the couple behind the infamous Amy?s Baking Company. They made headlines in 2013 after they appeared on Gordon Ramsay?s Kitchen Nightmares.

It didn?t go well.

Caution: The video below contains some NSFW language.

[video=youtube;sk2FYpiA0hI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk2FYpiA0hI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

They threatened to stab customers. Stole tips from their servers. Repackaged other people?s products and sold them as their own. Things went so badly that for the first time ever, Ramsay broke off his agreement to help and he walked away.

It got worse.

[video=youtube;NLdkvEziZUc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLdkvEziZUc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

After the episode aired, the backlash was swift and severe. People began criticizing their company on Google, Facebook, Reddit, and Yelp. They left strong minded reviews on their listings.

Yelp-Amys-Baking-Company-1.png
Save

These restaurateurs decided to ?fight back.? They threatened reviewers, lied to their customers and mocked naysayers. With behavior like theirs, it?s no surprise their business closed in 2015.

Their Behavior Created Outrage and Distrust

When we look at their behavior, it?s easy to become judgmental. Millions of people made judgments of their own because let?s face it, the Bouzaglo?s behavior was extreme and offensive.

Yelp-Amys-Baking-Company-2.png
Save

Sift through the angry criticism and we see that customers used lots of phrases to describe their experience.

• Waste of money
  • Atmosphere was tense
  • Downright gross
  • We won?t be back

Yelp-Amys-Baking-Company-3.png
Save

Yikes.

The phrases most customers used showed they weren?t happy at all. Most customers felt their experience was as bad as they expected it to be. What?s worse, their reviews showed it too.
How?

With their phrasing.

f12d01f97d13207582d6962651aee4e5.jpg
Save

Customer Phrasing Creates Distrust

It?s the same for you. You already know your customers use phrases to describe their experience. What you may not know is this:

Some of these phrases are revenue killers.

Reviews, testimonials, feedback ? these are all forms of social proof. A way for customers to buy with confidence. Because social proof has one job to do.

To defuse objections.

When your reviews are loaded down with the wrong words and phrases, the opposite happens. Your content begins to create new objections. That?s right, the wrong phrase increases customer resistance, limiting your ability to make the sale. Social proof does more harm than good at that point.

When this gets out of hand customers assume the worst and believe these negative reviews. They disappear quietly, never to return.

But which phrases create distrust and why? How on earth are you supposed to control what random customers choose to write in their reviews? Can you control what random customers choose to write?

Dealing with the consequences of other people?s choices can be incredibly frustrating, especially if the consequences to you are negative.

In the rest of the article, Andrew dives into those phrases that cause distrust, how to find them in your own reviews, and how to address them.

Read the full article here.

Customer-Distrust.jpg

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Where does this type of SPAM come from? Spam on Google 7
hajnasiewicz What is this type of knowledge panel called Local Search 5
sixthcitysarah New GMB post type - COVID-19 Support? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
M COVID-19 GMB Post Type Local Search 4
B Grid-type tools for service-area biz with hidden address? Local SEO Tools & Software 4
djbaxter Fake Product Review Sites: New Type of Spam Exploit in Google Spam on Google 0
djbaxter Which service-area business types perform best in local search? Service Area Businesses 0
Cordell Crowley Getting two side-by-side businesses of the same type to show up on Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 4
djbaxter What Type of Content Is Most Effective for Attracting Website Traffic? Organic SEO 0
Suleyman Okan A new type of search spam Local Search 2
Nikos Appointment URLs in more business types Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Garrett Sussman 5 Types of Online Reviewers and What They Care About Local Reviews 2
G How do clients search for services (what do they usually type in google to find you) Consultant's Corner 1
Garrett Sussman 13 Types of Content to Include On Your Online Review Management and Marketing Service Local Reviews 7
Linda Buquet Google Will Soon Show Type of Business (Category) Right in Map View Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Priya Chandra Are there more than 3 types of local SEO services? Local Search 2
JoyHawkins DRAFT - 2 Types of 3-Packs Weight Ranking Factors Differently Post Drafts (Private) 1
Linda Buquet Tried this for Local Links and Citations? Brilliant for the Right Type of Client Local Search 4
L Google Local Duplicates: The Different Types & How to Deal with Them Google Duplicates & Merges 0
Linda Buquet Google Local Duplicates: The Different Types & How to Deal with Them Google Duplicates & Merges 0
R Wrong type of local page?? Can't leave reviews Google My Business & Google Maps 2
shondarogers What type of page should i create for HOA/Neighborhood Google My Business & Google Maps 1
J You Are Not An Eligible Business Type For Google Maps Service Area Businesses 4
Jo Shaer You Are Not An Eligible Business Type For Google Maps Service Area Businesses 4
Margaret Ornsby Unsupported Page Type? Locked Out of Listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
KungFuBacklinks Old G+ Business Page (Local Type) and Proper Verified G+ Local Listing Help & Support for Google Local 3
eestrada234 New Type of Google Local Rich Snippet?? Video Thumbnail? Local Search 14
Linda Buquet No Verifcation Check Mark? New Type of Page OR??? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Travis Van Slooten Can This Type of Business Merge Their Google+ Biz Page with G+ Local Page? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
M Interesting...Typing In Dentist + City in Local Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Linda Buquet Confused re the Different Types of Google+ Local Pages? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
sergiuliano TOP Citation Source Website Types Citations 2
Jamie Steigerwald Schema.org LocalBusiness vs specific type Local Search 0
D Name of town/city in keyword phrase Recycle Bin 0
koji Name of town/city in keyword phrase Local Search 5
M Why GMB knowledge panel shows up for main local KW phrase instead of maps? Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Ray Litvak Keywords/Phrases in Registered Business Names & Trademark Infringement Consultant's Corner 1
ColoradoChris Keyword usage - add as many phrases as possible? Organic SEO 6
TonyIsSocial What is the + for in AdWords Express Search Phrases Marketing 2
M Ranking for modified phrases Local Search 2
djbaxter Webinar The State of Online Reviews in 2021 - January 14th at 2pm EST Events 0
djbaxter The Online Companies That Know the Most About You Mobile & Social 0
J Online Care SERP Feature - How to Be Included Google Local 101 5
F Optimizing for local and online - broader areas? Local Search 0
Adam C. Online Scheduling Recommendations - Contractors Google My Business & Google Maps 1
M "Online Care" icon on 3 pack listing: How to get it? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
abbiebeltran Define Service Options Attribute - Online Appointments NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
djbaxter Attend SMX June 23-24 online… for free Events 0
StephanieNewton Local Search Clinic with Phil Rozek (Online Reviews) Local Reviews 1
CarrieHill Get Online Care link showing up on Healthcare listings Google My Business & Google Maps 2