More threads by Tim Colling

Tim Colling

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Solutions
Reaction score
We have a client who has purchased a business that has a Facebook page that was created long ago. Our client would like to keep the existing page and needs to have access to it, but the person that created the page is no longer available to log in and add the client as a page owner or admin.

I have tried to find out how to do this via the "help" pages on Facebook but I couldn't find any useful information about this topic there and there doesn't appear to be a way to request support.

Can anyone suggest how we can do this?

Thank you!

Solution
Hi Tim!
Facebook does not make this easy, but it can be done. Fortunately, now that they have Business Manager, it will be much easier moving forward. Unfortunately, old pages are not as easy to get back. I have had luck getting access to "abandoned" pages via Facebook customer service, but the process is a bit cumbersome.

The person who contacts them has to be the registered owner of the business, and has to reach out from their Facebook account. They can let them know that a former employee or agency owns their Facebook page, and you’d like to transfer ownership back to the new owner of the business. From here, they can escalate the case and with proper documentation, they can transfer "ownership" of the page to your client. They can...
Hi Tim!
Facebook does not make this easy, but it can be done. Fortunately, now that they have Business Manager, it will be much easier moving forward. Unfortunately, old pages are not as easy to get back. I have had luck getting access to "abandoned" pages via Facebook customer service, but the process is a bit cumbersome.

The person who contacts them has to be the registered owner of the business, and has to reach out from their Facebook account. They can let them know that a former employee or agency owns their Facebook page, and you’d like to transfer ownership back to the new owner of the business. From here, they can escalate the case and with proper documentation, they can transfer "ownership" of the page to your client. They can contact them at this link -facebook.com/business/help to have Facebook escalate the case.

I've also had success getting through to a real person by sending a messenger request via my business manager, but if they don't have that set up, it looks like messaging this account page should get you to the same support group

https://www.facebook.com/facebookadsupport/ <= bad link; Error 404 ~ djbaxter

I hope this helps!

Solution
Hi Tim!

The person who contacts them has to be the registered owner of the business, and has to reach out from their Facebook account. They can let them know that a former employee or agency owns their Facebook page, and you’d like to transfer ownership back to the new owner of the business. From here, they can escalate the case and with proper documentation, they can transfer "ownership" of the page to your client. They can contact them at this link -facebook.com/business/help to have Facebook escalate the case.

I've also had success getting through to a real person by sending a messenger request via my business manager, but if they don't have that set up, it looks like messaging this account page should get you to the same support group

https://www.facebook.com/facebookadsupport/ <- Error 404: bad link ~ djbaxter

I hope this helps!

Thank you very much!

Hi Erin,

I came upon this thread and am having the same issue. We recently began management of a storage facility and do not have access to the Facebook account. The previous owners are out of the picture. When I click on your link to the help page, I'm not sure where to go from there. I've been all over that page, but cannot find a way to contact support. Thanks for any additional help you can provide.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU - Local SEO Penalties for Links

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom