More threads by Nicole Basham

Nicole Basham

Reaction score
Hello:

In the early days of Google Posts, we shared blog posts, and then started using Offers. We found a lot of success with these and were even at the point where changed them out monthly. Then, we saw a big drop in redemptions of Offers, so we scaled those back. Now, we keep an introductory type offer up year-round. There is pretty minimal engagement, but it didn't seem to be worth the work to swap out offers given the lack of results there.

I do wonder: Are folks still regularly using Google Posts and seeing results? While we can share client blog posts, offers seem the most relevant content for folks who are likely closer to making a purchase. These clients don't really do events, nor do they have products. I suppose we could use the space to post an Update that's more "news" that could reinforce the brand.

Just wanted to see if this is still a valid tactic as we look for ways to keep taking advantage of all the features of the GMB listing.

Thanks in advance!

We don't spend a ton of time on it and when we do, I use the event post type so I can just keep one post up for a month or 2. I think the recommended practice would vary a lot by industry, though. We don't see a ton of activity from posts for industries like lawyers but I have seen conversions from posts for our auto repair client & insurance agent.

I would just suggest making this call on a client-by-client basis depending on what you're seeing from their posts. I would also suggest always doing offers or highlighting their USP and stay away from sharing blogs. I have never seen anything good come out of a post that linked to a blog.

Google Posts get great reach so if top of the funnel metrics like reach, views of your content is among your KPIs, definitely pump the content through. We work only with chain brands but from comparing what our clients get for posting on FB vs. Google organically, Google is significantly higher.

Engagement on the posts themselves definitely varies by vertical. As consumers are already mid-funnel and evaluating their options by opening up listings, a conversion-centric CTA makes sense. For restaurants, we're recommending highlighting menu items and promos. If you're an auto service - offer / quote request or even a link to meet team that will help them to build some trust could work.

Make sure you also give space in your content calendar for a COVID-19 Post to inform of any restrictions/experience updates if it's appropriate for your client's business (i.e. if they have a store-front). This post type sits higher in the listing and is a top of mind question consumers have when searching these days. Although not a promotional message, the peace of mind it can give to consumers will help you convert more views into action.

Here's some reach/impression insight for a few of our chain clients Google Post vs. FB local page posts. Google Posts crush and chain brands especially should move to take advantage while it's still available. Organic (free) media value is fleeting these days!

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 4.13.16 PM.png

Here's some reach/impression insight for a few of our chain clients Google Post vs. FB local page posts. Google Posts crush and chain brands especially should move to take advantage while it's still available. Organic (free) media value is fleeting these days!

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 4.13.16 PM.png

That's interesting data but...I pause at comparing GMB "views" vs. Facebook impressions. I wonder if GMB Post views are actually leading to engagement.

When Facebook counts an impression, I think it's pretty clear what that means: The content was in the user's viewport and they likely looked at it. We know from experience whether people engage with it.

GMB reports "view" numbers that I find hard to believe. On desktop, GMB posts for a local listing are in the Knowledge Panel but are below the fold. In the Google Maps app, Posts are even harder to find; you have to switch tabs within a business's information to view their "Updates."

I find it hard to believe that users are either scrolling that far on desktop or switching to Updates in Maps.

I think Google is counting GMB Post view every time the business's information is displayed in a search -- even though the user never actually has the Post in their viewport. I think that's one factor behind the low engagement numbers -- not to mention to clunky/limited design interface of Posts.

Yes. Totally agree with the different contexts at which the content is viewed. Counterpoint in Google's favor is the audience viewing the Post has active intent. Facebook organic post viewers do not. Post viewers are already looking at your client's listing or had searched for the category and ended up there because your client's listing showed up as an option.

I have no insight on the different engagement rates on FB Local published content and Google Posts (API endpoint for that has been broken for some time). I suspect given the nature of Facebook where there are limited engagement options for a user to take (like/comment/share vs. Google where there's more choice of action a user can take) it's engagement rate is higher.

GMB Post and Listing Views don't line up according to the data we see through API so there's a difference to what's being counted.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom