More threads by JohnMarathonAir

Reaction score
Hello. We have a business that was suspended due to being a virtual office (except it ISN'T a virtual office - but we have sent countless photos,, office lease, business tax license, and even banking information showing posted rent check for much higher than a virtual office would cost-- and emailed back and forth -- so we suspect the address has been blacklisted as a virtual office -- and nothing we can do to change their decision). The problem is that our landlord offers virtual leases, and has a website advertising those, so we are getting put into that same basket, even though we have a real office, and pay real rent.

In light of this problem, we are planning a move to another location, which is leasing part of an office from another business. Basically, there is a house where one business already operates, and we will be leasing a separate part of the space. These are lawyers -- BUT totally different practice areas.

We will have photos, interior and exterior, as well as office signage visible outside the house.

My question is whether we are likely to have a problem getting the suspension lifted, even with the new address.

We would much rather not move offices but we can't seem to get anywhere with support and countless requests, emails, calls, providing all requested documentation, etc, etc.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether the new office location is likely to have a problem (there shouldn't be any problem like the virtual office scenario -- but I'm concerned that the listing itself may continue to generate problems regardless).

This is a real business, real office, where we have a lock and key, and meet clients, and meets all guidelines qualifications.

Does anyone have any suggestions about whether the new office is likely to cause a problem?

We would get a freestanding office building, but that is cost prohibitive in the area where we are located. And all of the high rise buildings, like where we are located currently, seem to raise this concern about also offering virtual offices.

We would appreciate any suggestions.

leasing part of an office from another business. Basically, there is a house where one business already operates, and we will be leasing a separate part of the space. These are lawyers -- BUT totally different practice areas.

Honestly, I'd suggest avoiding sharing an office and go with a building where you have your own dedicated space. I think long-term this will give you the least amount of headaches since your industry is one that has a lot of spam.

That being said, you can likely get the suspension lifted if you have all the signs. I would just suggest going with your own space so that you don't have to repeat this scenario in the future.

Thank you Joy. We are still waiting on the final answer on what we consider the last appeal. But we have ruled out sharing space based on your advice. I actually went last night to a new location that is freestanding (meaning not inside a large building), where we will occupy the space alone, and where we can have outdoor signage galore.

I'm just really nervous about the NAP changes. And I actually don't like this office as much for many reasons, including my own safety. Freestanding for a woman means anyone can enter (I'm currently in a large building with security). Not ideal. But neither is absence from Google. So I guess I just have to deal.

I have another question. We have a phone number that is forwarded to a call acting answering service when we can't answer. That means our calls are answered 24/7. The reality is that we get a lot of bad calls. So we really prefer to have them screened. These people ask a list of questions to determine if the case might meet our criteria for acceptance. If we might want the case, they call us ASAP. We either take the call immediately (meaning the call answering service calls us, then patches the call through to us) or we call back very soon, if we are in the middle of another appointment. We do take calls after hours and on weekends, again if the cases meet our criteria.

My question is whether this structure could be causing problems on my listing. Google tried calling a couple of times while this was happening, and left messages with the call answering service (they do not forward any calls that don't meet our criteria -- so they wouldn't forward Google calls by definition).

If this is a problem, then we will change. We will start answering every call. That would be a huge inefficiency for us -- and something that I really, really don't want to do, but we want to comply with what is needed and expected.

My concern is that I move offices, without knowing that possibly the phone answering situation was the problem. If that is a problem, how can I get them to reverify that we have started answering our own calls?

Thanks very much for any suggestions.

P.s. we used to have our hours listed as 24/7, on GMB, since we can be reached at those times. But we changed those in GMB to 9-5, M-F, just in case that was causing a problem. So I don't think the posted office hours are currently a problem.

My concern is whether the actual forwarding of the phone to an answering service, which *can* reach us, where we are sitting in our office, might be causing a problem. Again, we want to comply, so we will change the way we operate if needed.

Thanks again for any info.

It could be causing an issue if Google can't confirm your information. I'd probably disable the call answering service until you're reinstated.

Google tried calling a couple of times while this was happening, and left messages with the call answering service (they do not forward any calls that don't meet our criteria -- so they wouldn't forward Google calls by definition).

My hunch is that this is a big part of your issue. Google needs to be able to reach someone at the business, who can verify the business information, during posted business hours.

When I think Google may call a business I'm troubleshooting, I always tell them how important it is for them to alert their staff to expect these calls, and that the call may sound like a telemarketer. Do NOT hang up on them, Haha...it's super frustrating when Google comes back and tells me they couldn't reach the business, and so cannot help me.

Long story short, ditto Joy. I'd disable the answering system, and try again.

Thank you Cherie and Joy.

I just received another denial, saying again that this is a virtual office. My question is whether you think they will try calling again, if we ask again. Because if we keep waiting for weeks for every new appeal to be reviewed, I just want to try to get an idea of whether they have likely made a final decision, so aren't likely to try calling again.

Do you know whether they would likely try to call again, after several denied appeals, if I send an email asking them to call again?

I have another question. I have now signed another lease on a different space. This will be a non shared, fairly sizeable office -- with no danger of this virtual office issue. I'm planning to make the move in Google (and IRL -- moving where we actually work) as soon as I'm sure that I really need to move.

My second question is: if we have to move locations, should I change the address on the existing listing, and send another email to the folks who have been reviewing (and denying) all of the appeals, or should I start a whole new listing, and try to get them to transfer reviews? The reviews are critical from my perspective, and the age of the listing seems like a terrible thing to lose, too.

So I was hoping to keep this same listing, with a new address. Is that likely to happen? Or probably not? I hate to keep trying with weeks and weeks of appeal considerations if they are going to be a waste of time.

I do have the CID number -- something I noted quite a while ago, just in case, based on reading from this forum.

Thanks very much for any insight into either question.

I was just told on the GMB forum that the best option for getting the business listed is to open an entirely new Gmail account.

That would lose all reviews. And would might as well be the equivalent of out of business for me.

Is there ANY way to get my existing listing reinstated, using a totally new address, or to start a new listing under my existing gmail, then have the reviews moved over?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom