More threads by steviephil

steviephil

Reaction score
Hi folks. I posted a post a while back about a client who was selling 1 of his 2 locations to a competitor (How best to handle a client selling off 1 of their 2 locations). The sale has just gone through. It's a self storage company (I didn't mention this before, but I can now that it's official).

My understanding is that we should mark the listing as 'permanently closed', and then it's up to the buyer/competitor to make their own listing for the same address.

However, I've realised a snag with this plan: the location won't actually close in the meantime - the takeover is seamless, and the client's customers are now the buyer's customers as part of the sale.

Therefore, if I mark it as closed, it could cause some confusion (even panic?) with customers who worry that their goods are stored somewhere that's not actually open or 'there' anymore.

With this in mind, should I be following a different process? Such as allowing the buyer to take over the listing somehow? Would would be involved - and best practice - in doing so?

Many thanks in advance!

EDIT: I should've mentioned that I'm having a meeting with my client on Monday, and he's not yet told me if all his customers (now the buyer's customers) have been informed or not. I guess if they have been, then making as permanently closed won't be a problem as all current customers should already know.

Solution
I am in the process of rebranding myself. This is what I find works well...

1. I let them know that I do not want to change anything until the new website is live.

2. I ask them to have the old owners to transfer ownership of Google, Yelp and all social media.

There are time they can not take over social but typically Yelp and Google should not be an issue. If they don't transfer ownership you can just wait the 5 days and get a post card. Make sure to do this as soon as possible.

3. All rebranding should be completed on the website and social prior to updating Google Profile. This will help you avoid any suspensions. This includes, updating social links in the footer or headers, update map schema, address and phone if they were...
I always advise my clients to take over the Google Profile and all social pages. If its the same business but new management why start over?

Then I advise them to reply to the reviews that they are under new management as well as add a post.

Honestly, the honorable/ethical thing is to hand over the profile. How muchyou can strip from the profile before doing so while still remaining reasonably ethical is a separate question.

I always advise my clients to take over the Google Profile and all social pages. If its the same business but new management why start over?

Then I advise them to reply to the reviews that they are under new management as well as add a post.

Thanks Claudia. That makes sense... If roles were reversed, and I was working for the buyer, I'd likely aim to do the same.

What can I do to make the process easier for them? If I delete the listing from their GBP dashboard, will they then be able to claim it for themselves? Is that all we'd need to do? Thanks!

Honestly, the honorable/ethical thing is to hand over the profile. How muchyou can strip from the profile before doing so while still remaining reasonably ethical is a separate question.

That's interesting... What's there to 'strip' from it? The reviews were the only thing I thought about moving across (apparently we can request that they be sent to the other location my client still operates) - which kinda makes sense, because they're for the company (and the new buyer can't/shouldn't necessarily just 'inherit' all those automatically)...

So would it be considered unethical to take the reviews?

I am in the process of rebranding myself. This is what I find works well...

1. I let them know that I do not want to change anything until the new website is live.

2. I ask them to have the old owners to transfer ownership of Google, Yelp and all social media.

There are time they can not take over social but typically Yelp and Google should not be an issue. If they don't transfer ownership you can just wait the 5 days and get a post card. Make sure to do this as soon as possible.

3. All rebranding should be completed on the website and social prior to updating Google Profile. This will help you avoid any suspensions. This includes, updating social links in the footer or headers, update map schema, address and phone if they were changed.

4. I then update any other citations.

5. Last update Google and if you want include a post that mentions being under new management. Make sure all the URLs or website, ordering and new relevant photos are also updated at the same time. If you change the name make sure to include exterior photos of the signage.

Solution
That's interesting... What's there to 'strip' from it? The reviews were the only thing I thought about moving across (apparently we can request that they be sent to the other location my client still operates) - which kinda makes sense, because they're for the company (and the new buyer can't/shouldn't necessarily just 'inherit' all those automatically)...

So would it be considered unethical to take the reviews?

More like, existing review replies, posts, photos, description, GBP products, special links if relevant (e.g. menu, appointment...).

I've worked with clients who have acquired businesses and if the business has a decent GBP listing, that listing is usually part of the "package" when the acquisition is signed. The reviews and authority of the listing (age + rankings) are the valuable pieces here. If the listing ranks well for storage searches in the area and has a number of good reviews, it's an asset to the new business owner. If the profile was not specifically mentioned in the deal, then your client is free to do whatever they want with it.

I think JS and Claudia both gave good advice. Personally, I would turn over the business profile to the new owner, does not sound like there is any value to keeping it. If your client is not giving up the website too, you can remove links to it from the listing but otherwise there isn't anything you need to remove, except maybe the phone number depending if the new owner is keeping the same number or not.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom