More threads by cfazio

cfazio

Reaction score
I have noticed a handful of competitors lately that absolutely dominate local rankings, and the one thing they all have in common is the "Located In" being relevant to the search.

All of the searches are for "apartments near + university" and the "Located In" is linked to the university in question. Most of these competitors are not technically located within the university, they are in the city of the surrounding area.

For example, this listing dominates for "apartments near uab", their proximity is not closer than our clients physical address, and they have no site optimizations to be ranking for this keyword - seems to be solely from the located in.

Has anybody noticed this actually affecting rank? Seeing as it is user-submitted information ... seems strange to have such a strong effect.

Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 4.31.57 PM.jpg

I did searches for "apartments near the University of Alabama Birmingham" and "apartments near me" in incognito mode and as if I was on the University campus and was not seeing the listings with "located in" dominating the top spots.

Honestly, I do not think that it affects rankings at all. You can test it by "suggesting an edit" to remove the located in and see if you notice a change in the rankings.

Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 10.10.29 AM.jpg

I did searches for "apartments near the University of Alabama Birmingham" and "apartments near me" in incognito mode and as if I was on the University campus and was not seeing the listings with "located in" dominating the top spots.

Honestly, I do not think that it affects rankings at all. You can test it by "suggesting an edit" to remove the located in and see if you notice a change in the rankings.

Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 10.10.29 AM.jpg

More specifically, should have mentioned in original post. Kw is "apartments near uab" the abbreviated version may give different results.

I was going based off of geo grid scans in Local Falcon... top 2 listings in the city has this... I know no rankings tracking tool is truly accurate though.

Interestingly, I tried to remove it but seems to be a bug where you can't click the "post" button the bottom right with only removing the located in.

I was going based off of geo grid scans in Local Falcon... top 2 listings in the city has this... I know no rankings tracking tool is truly accurate though.

thats more accurate that the way ElizabethRule tested it. would probably need a more thorough analysis to answer your question

When I use the Valentin app I see listed first in map pack

University Place​

Website
Directions

Save
Call
3.747 Google reviews

Apartment building in Birmingham, Alabama0.7 mi

Located in: University of Alabama at Birmingham
Address: 951 18th St S, Birmingham, AL 35205

Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 8AM Thu

Phone: (205) 933-2822

Suggest an edit · Own this business?

but Flats, number 3 in Map pack does NOT mention UAB

Flats on 4th​

Website
Directions

Save
Call
4.611 Google reviews

Apartment building in Birmingham, Alabama0.6 mi

Address: 1508 4th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35233

Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 8AM Fri

Phone: (205) 323-9777

Suggest an edit · Own this business?

Know this place?Share the latest info

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom