Jeffrey

Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

A client of mine who does LASIK Surgery has 3 offices in Texas. Two offices are in the suburbs of Sugar Land and Pearland, and one is in Houston. Two weeks ago their Houston listing got marked as permanently closed on Google. We were able to login and reopen their listing shortly after, but now their Houston office will no longer come up when searching for even their exact business name and address. Before the listing got marked as closed it had been doing very well.

Primary Category: LASIK Surgeon
Status in GMB: Verified
# of users: 2 legitimate including myself

I'm not sure what is going on so I'm turning to you guys for help.

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
@Jeffrey, if it's showing up in Maps just fine, but not in the main search results, and the GMB page hasn't been pulled, then I'd wager the appropriate location will show up in search soon. Google just needs to get used to having the until-recently "permanently closed" pages around again.

If you haven't done so already, you'll want to check over what's in the GMB dashboard for that one location, to make sure nothing important (like the landing page URL) has been washed out.

lukeelliott

Reaction score
This is more of an opinion, but Google may not trust the business as much if the listing was allowed to be listed as permanently closed. It may take some time, fresh reviews, for Google to verify the business is still operating in that location. You should encourage the practice to hang "leave us a review on Google, we'd really appreciate it!" posters on the walls inside their practice. Or there are other ways of encouraging people to leave reviews on Google that you can research yourself. I've always noticed some of the top-ranked results are those with the most reviews and good reviews too. Fresh reviews can make the practice much more favorable in the eyes of Google and they will reward you later. Also listings with updated photos of the location, but inside and outside the building, makes for a good Google Business Listing. Also the business categories. Google said themselves it's better to list the business in 1 or 2 primary categories than a bunch of them. It just depends on the immediate actions you take when the issue may be resolved. But it may take a bit of time, or could be relatively quick. You never really know with Google.

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Reaction score
Thanks @lukeelliott!

These are all super smart things to do. I'm happy to say that the business is showing back up for their direct searches! The only change that I made was switching their URL to point towards their location page instead of their homepage. This change along with just waiting it out helped :)

lukeelliott

Reaction score
Thanks @lukeelliott!

These are all super smart things to do. I'm happy to say that the business is showing back up for their direct searches! The only change that I made was switching their URL to point towards their location page instead of their homepage. This change along with just waiting it out helped :)
That's awesome! Glad you got it worked out.

Question: when you say "you switched the landing page to point twards their location page instead of the homepage" does the landing page list all 3 locations, or is it a unique landing page for that particular location?

Jeffrey

Reaction score
Hi @lukeelliott
Originally their GMB was linking to their homepage. I made the edit to link it to their particular location page. This page is unique to that particular location.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L Recently verified GMB listing not showing much info Help & Support for Google Local 6
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Google Doesn't Show a Proper Knowledge Panel with GMB Listing Multi-Location Issues 8
S Automotive Dealership Parts & Service Listings Showing Near Proper GMB Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Emily Brady GMB Listing Not Showing Up in Knowledge Panel for Branded Searches Local Search 2
Grabgooglesgoogles Verified and optimised GMB listing doesn't show up on maps when viewing the street (unlike every other local business which does). Help & Support for Google Local 8
FriarTuck00 GMB Call Tracking Number Showing Up on Other Listings Citations 28
J Getting Rid of Incorrect Highlights in GMB mobile listing ( highlights you can't update on back end ) Google My Business & Google Maps 1
greenworld_ Adding a new location extension for a separate GMB listing Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
M Removing old GMB listing from previous owner of premises Google My Business & Google Maps 1
1 GMB Listing Disabled after updating address... Google My Business & Google Maps 12
TriciaClements 3 Businesses - how to handle GMB listings for SAB? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Scott Rawlins GMB Listing in Greece Google My Business & Google Maps 4
RobertCarnitas GMB Spam for 'Located In' business - Does it affect the GMB listing for the business that is located inside it? Spam on Google 3
D New GMB listing possible due to acquisition of company? Service Area Businesses 3
Jen Currier Would you set up an Architect client with a Hybrid/SAB GMB listing if the location was residential? Service Area Businesses 2
jross Incomplete GMB Listing Error? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Annika Neudecker Mysteriously vanishing GMB listings Google My Business & Google Maps 5
A Listing suspended due to account manager spamming? Google advise to create new GMB Local Search 13
NickB-Tampa Should all the phone numbers on the landing page to our GMB listing be included in the structured data? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
FriarTuck00 Question Regarding GMB Listings and Phone Numbers Multi-Location Issues 3
Professor M Is Google thinking of adding payment capabilities to GMB listings/website? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
C Changing website on GMB listing seems to have caused massive a loss of traffic :( Moving or Name Changes 1
B GMB listing missing from search, dashboard and GSC. Yikes!!! Help & Support for Google Local 3
J Wrong GMB Listing Appearing when Searching for Physician by Name Google My Business & Google Maps 4
brownaddesign Help with Bing Places - Accidently imported all our GMB listings Local Search 3
E What is the Click Through Rate / Conversion Rate for GMB or Local 3 Pack listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
M Google changes client's 5 year old, verified GMB to a duplicate listing Google Duplicates & Merges 7
IanJohnson Office destroyed in hurricane, what should we do about the GMB listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
abbiebeltran Disgruntled former employee leaves 9 1-star reviews and counting on GMB listing Local Reviews 5
RogerM Auditing a GMB listing NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR GMB Listing Services and Products Local Search 6
nathangdavidson Is having more than one GMB listing actually against Google guidelines? Spam on Google 9
C GMB Listing Hijacked Google My Business & Google Maps 3
NickB-Tampa Should a physician's assistant have their own GMB listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
J De-emphasizing a Physician's GMB Listing Local Search 4
DanielTexasLira Business acquires another business. Should I rename the old GMB listing or label it as "Permanently Closed"? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
lukeelliott Using DNI Call Tracking With Website Connected To A GMB Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Travis Van Slooten Hard Suspension of GMB Listing: Multiple Businesses at Same Address? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Barb Davids GMB Listing vs Local Schema Google My Business & Google Maps 8
T Separate GMB listings for head office/factory and factory/showroom Multi-Location Issues 3
ganapathy Default Google Ads Extension Phone Number (Advanced information section) in GMB Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Tim Colling Matterport 3D Virtual Tours in GMB listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Kevin Marshall GMB Listing Ownership Hijacked Google My Business & Google Maps 4
A Can you add images of Cannabis to GMB listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
NickB-Tampa Issues with transferring GMB listings Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter SEO Company Sabotages Ex-Client's GMB & Maps Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Justin Mosebach PSA: Attempts to hijack listings (don't ignore these GMB notification emails) Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Tim Colling How to find the email address of another User on a GMB listing Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Rich Owings Is anyone having trouble adding users to GMB listings? All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
LakewoodSEO Height listed in GMB profiles? Google My Business & Google Maps 1