More threads by burton4550

Reaction score
I created a local business site for a friend and set up his Google + account and his Google local page, but the only time his Google account shows connected to his website is when you search his company name. It won't show up if you search his main keyword even though it ranks between 1-3

Does anyone know why it only connects for the company name and not any of the keywords?

For example:: 360 Wireless boise, shows Google Local page connected
Keyword ::::::: Cell Phone Repair Boise Id , does not show his local page

Could this just be because his Google + page isn't ranking on the first page and only his website does?

I know he has a lot of citations with incorrect NAP

There are many many reasons that can happen. Can only guess without looking at the listing. If you can share a link I'll move this down to the help section and help you there.

I do ranking analysis for this type of problem all the time and can usually figure it out but can't waste time guessing without seeing the listing. Also please let me know one set of specific search terms you are using so I can be sure I'm looking at exact query.

Thanks, Linda

Thank you Linda and you bet I can provide a link :)

website is ::: 360-wireless.com
Google Local Page is ::: https://plus.google.com/11039211346...pluspage&socpid=1#110392113461902254148/about

The only search term he really is focused on is "cell phone repair boise Id"
or "cell phone store Boise ID"

Would appreciate any help as I'm not sure what I did wrong

There are many many reasons that can happen. Can only guess without looking at the listing. If you can share a link I'll move this down to the help section and help you there.

I do ranking analysis for this type of problem all the time and can usually figure it out but can't waste time guessing without seeing the listing. Also please let me know one set of specific search terms you are using so I can be sure I'm looking at exact query.

Thanks, Linda

A couple things I can see...

Even though this one is showing history, it's displaying as if it's a newly verified listing. (No similar places at the bottom of the G+ L page.) New listings can take up to 8 weeks to start ranking and get into the Pack. Maybe this listing started over in the ranking cycle for some reason?

Categories don't match up quite right. Site is optimized for "cell phone repair boise Id" but that category is not on your G+ L listing. cell phone repair violates the guidelines so try cell phone repair service. Although custom cats are going away soon. Also you have screen repair service and I would assume the algo would associate that with screen door repair.

Also I noticed on the website city is Boise. On listing city is Boise City.

DON'T CHANGE CITY on Place page. I'm just asking... I see listings in that area listed both ways. Is this one of those rare situations where a city has 2 technically correct names and either is appropriate? If Boise City which is on the Place page is correct then the site should be changed to match. If Boise City on the Place page is NOT correct or you aren't sure - don't change it yet. Just let me know here so we can try to advise further.

Having said all the above - I've been working on several cases lately where listings are disconnecting from the pack for no obvious reason. On one client, Google is almost rotating who's in the pack and different listings are popping in and out various times. Seems like an algo change, testing, dancing or something I have not been able to figure out yet. The only common denominator I have found so far is that all the ones I'm investigating just happen to be "merged" but I don't think that's the issue.

Yeah this one is farely new (over 8 weeks though). They had a place page originally and I created a business page, so I ended up with 2 Google Local pages (the one that converted from places to + local and then the business page I set up) You actually helped me get the duplicate canceled so now there's only one in there. :)

When I do category's, am I able to do custom categories? I thought the only ones I was allowed to pick were the ones that were populated by Google in there. That's why I just tried to pick the most relevant to his company. Your absolutely right on screen repair though, and he's also ranking for it lol

As far as the city goes it should just be "Boise" not Boise City. I believe Boise City is in a different state, so I would need to get that updated on the + local listing which perhaps that could be the main reason why it's not populating for his other keywords since they're not matching?

Yeah this one is farely new (over 8 weeks though). They had a place page originally and I created a business page, so I ended up with 2 Google Local pages (the one that converted from places to + local and then the business page I set up) You actually helped me get the duplicate canceled so now there's only one in there. :)

According to Map Maker, the history goes back to July 2012 and was originally at a different address - Google Map Maker

Can't dive in too deep right now, but I just wanted to throw that out there to help troubleshoot.

According to Map Maker, the history goes back to July 2012 and was originally at a different address - Google Map Maker

Can't dive in too deep right now, but I just wanted to throw that out there to help troubleshoot.

Yeah he used to be located at a different address a while back and I know that he has several Citations he needs to update to correct his address to what is now.

And actually looking at his Local Page now, I think it may have been the new one I created that I canceled, because he still has all his comments and reviews on there. Unless those automatically transfer from the old one.

Google places - local - Plus, is so confusing :eek:

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom