More threads by Dustybones

Reaction score
Some interesting Data in this report. Go check out Googles report at Think With Google if your interested.

Google Study: 34X Increase in “Near Me” Searches Since 2011

The internet and the personal computer brought a world’s worth of information to our homes. Today, smartphones have brought that information to our pockets. As a result, consumers are searching for events, products, stores and other things nearby no matter where they are.

According to research from Google, search interest in “near me” has increased 34X since 2011, and nearly doubled since last year. The driving factor behind this growth: mobile. 80% of these kind of searches came from mobile in Q4 2014.

This is some great info and a great look into the future of local search. I have a feeling that local SERPs radius will get much more granular and have a lot more to do with the user's location since Google knows users are acting with more immediacy. It also seems that mobile UX is something Google may also drive down to a granular level, "Even more importantly, does your site's design make it easy for consumers to find this information quickly". This raises tremendous questions on how Google will assess brands and local businesses in the mobile space in the future. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing Justin. I've been meaning to share a couple stories on this too.

Mike: <a href="http://blumenthals.com/blog/2015/04/15/growth-in-the-use-of-near-me-in-searches/">Growth in the Use of “Near Me” in Searches</a>

Search Engine Watch: <a href="http://searchenginewatch.com/sew/news/2404050/google-searches-with-near-me-surged-34-times-since-2011">Google Searches With 'Near Me' Surged 34 Times Since 2011</a>

So the big Q

Has anyone started optimizing for "keyword near me"???

<meta property="og:type" content="article"><meta property="og:title" content=""><meta property="og:description" content="">
<meta property="og:image" content="http://blog.getvero.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/email-marketing-increase-revenue.jpg">

I'm hesitant to optimize for "near me" because I feel that in the future it will translate "find the closest *insert keyword* to this user" especially post-pigeon. I think the focus on "near me" will create some very interesting challenges for us in the future.

I'm hesitant to optimize for "near me" because I feel that in the future it will translate "find the closest *insert keyword* to this user" especially post-pigeon. I think the focus on "near me" will create some very interesting challenges for us in the future.

I imagine providing Geo-graphical information through structured-data and content would be the best way to opt for 'near me'. Especially since Google in the last year has gotten much better at identifying a searcher's physical location.

I agree, heckler, that's what what our team does now but I think that will be as far as we can go. We've had great success with geographical content, especially driving directions and content about local partnerships so hopefully that will stay consistent moving forward.

I'm with mborgelt on this one. Google can handle the queries without "near me" links, url's, page titles, and the likes. IMO "near me" optimization would create redundant work that I would probably have to undo or modify later.

Traditional hyperlocal strategies; local maps, local content & outreach, proper geo url structure .com/state/city/service should cover these bases.

With that said some are/will game the system.

Some of the best near me results we have seen is with highly optimized store locator systems/location pages for multi-location brands. I would wager that a lot of this is because these setup well for lots of good hyperlocal strategies and pass link equity and geo information well. Basically what Cody Baird said :)

Dan Leibson, I appreciate the confirmation. I doubt that I experience a fraction of the account volume/variety as Andrew and yourself. I often wonder what tips and tricks I am unaware of. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in your office.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom