Reaction score
Some interesting Data in this report. Go check out Googles report at Think With Google if your interested.

Google Study: 34X Increase in “Near Me” Searches Since 2011

The internet and the personal computer brought a world’s worth of information to our homes. Today, smartphones have brought that information to our pockets. As a result, consumers are searching for events, products, stores and other things nearby no matter where they are.

According to research from Google, search interest in “near me” has increased 34X since 2011, and nearly doubled since last year. The driving factor behind this growth: mobile. 80% of these kind of searches came from mobile in Q4 2014.

mborgelt

Reaction score
This is some great info and a great look into the future of local search. I have a feeling that local SERPs radius will get much more granular and have a lot more to do with the user's location since Google knows users are acting with more immediacy. It also seems that mobile UX is something Google may also drive down to a granular level, "Even more importantly, does your site's design make it easy for consumers to find this information quickly". This raises tremendous questions on how Google will assess brands and local businesses in the mobile space in the future. Thanks for sharing!

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Justin. I've been meaning to share a couple stories on this too.

Mike: <a href="http://blumenthals.com/blog/2015/04/15/growth-in-the-use-of-near-me-in-searches/">Growth in the Use of “Near Me” in Searches</a>

Search Engine Watch: <a href="http://searchenginewatch.com/sew/news/2404050/google-searches-with-near-me-surged-34-times-since-2011">Google Searches With 'Near Me' Surged 34 Times Since 2011</a>

So the big Q

Has anyone started optimizing for "keyword near me"???

<meta property="og:type" content="article"><meta property="og:title" content=""><meta property="og:description" content="">
<meta property="og:image" content="http://blog.getvero.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/email-marketing-increase-revenue.jpg">

mborgelt

Reaction score
I'm hesitant to optimize for "near me" because I feel that in the future it will translate "find the closest *insert keyword* to this user" especially post-pigeon. I think the focus on "near me" will create some very interesting challenges for us in the future.

heckler

Reaction score
I'm hesitant to optimize for "near me" because I feel that in the future it will translate "find the closest *insert keyword* to this user" especially post-pigeon. I think the focus on "near me" will create some very interesting challenges for us in the future.

I imagine providing Geo-graphical information through structured-data and content would be the best way to opt for 'near me'. Especially since Google in the last year has gotten much better at identifying a searcher's physical location.

mborgelt

Reaction score
I agree, heckler, that's what what our team does now but I think that will be as far as we can go. We've had great success with geographical content, especially driving directions and content about local partnerships so hopefully that will stay consistent moving forward.

CodyBaird

Reaction score

I'm with mborgelt on this one. Google can handle the queries without "near me" links, url's, page titles, and the likes. IMO "near me" optimization would create redundant work that I would probably have to undo or modify later.

Traditional hyperlocal strategies; local maps, local content & outreach, proper geo url structure .com/state/city/service should cover these bases.

With that said some are/will game the system.

DanLeibson

LocalU Faculty
Reaction score
Some of the best near me results we have seen is with highly optimized store locator systems/location pages for multi-location brands. I would wager that a lot of this is because these setup well for lots of good hyperlocal strategies and pass link equity and geo information well. Basically what Cody Baird said :)

CodyBaird

Reaction score
Dan Leibson, I appreciate the confirmation. I doubt that I experience a fraction of the account volume/variety as Andrew and yourself. I often wonder what tips and tricks I am unaware of. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in your office.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
JoyHawkins Are Local Services Ads Stealing Clicks from Google My Business? A Case Study of 110 Listings Paid Search and Local Service Ads 0
JoyHawkins Search Console vs Google My Business (GMB) Insights: A Large Case Study Google My Business & Google Maps 4
djbaxter Accidental Site De-Index from Google and Long Road to Recovery: Moz Case Study Organic SEO 0
pony BrightLocal - Google My Business Insights Study Google My Business & Google Maps 4
georgebizpro Google June Broad Core Update Case Study: Keyword-rich domains back on the rise? Google Algorithm Discussions 2
rosie.brightlocal Google Reviews Study: How are local businesses using Google Reviews? Local Reviews 1
T Interesting study of Google clustering results in Local Packs Local Search 1
bhartzer Google's Business.Site - Case Study Google My Business & Google Maps 3
mborgelt Interesting Google Local Study Based on Over 100,000 URLs Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Colan Nielsen Why you cannot ignore practitioner listings on Google My Business (case study) Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Colan Nielsen Why the $%!# Does Google Keep Updating My Business Hours? (A Case Study) Google My Business & Google Maps 5
JoyHawkins Want to Participate in a Google Study? Local Search 2
Colan Nielsen Google Partners Analytics Certification Study Guide Local Search 3
Dustybones STUDY: Is Google + Becoming a ghost town? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Dustybones New eye-tracking study for Google's Carousel Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Dustybones Heat Map Study 2014: The evolution of Google's SERPS Local Search 5
Linda Buquet Google Study re Local/Mobile Advertising - Tons of Great Stats! Google My Business & Google Maps 5
djbaxter Causation vs Correlation: A Case Study on Google Authorship Organic SEO 0
Dave Cosper Correlation Study of Factors affecting Google+ Local Rank Local Search 11
david.victor Attribute used as Category by Google on Maps NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 0
M Google Search Console Errors "Coverage and Breadcrumbs"? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Lachlan_Wells Accept/Discard Google Updates - Does this feature work for you? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
E "Duplicate" Profile That Google Claims We Already Manage? Google Duplicates & Merges 1
T Can a Credit Union Create Google Posts Without Falling Under Prohibited Content? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Google My Business Bug Dropping SAB Businesses In Independence, Kansas Service Area Businesses 1
JamesGreenaway Google Insights query Google My Business & Google Maps 1
RobertCarnitas Google Posts Live on GMB, But Not Showing in GMB Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 1
rickvidallon How Do You Access The Buttons In Google My Business For Online Services? Local Search 4
NexstarNickR Google Star Rating: LSA vs. GMB All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
Phil Rozek Google Maps reviews get "New" label for reviews less than 1 month old Local Reviews 5
JoyHawkins Get Live Inventory Displayed on Your Google My Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 6
JoyHawkins Google Testing 2-Packs on Mobile Google News: Important Changes & Features 4
Paul Gregory Google Maps default location bias distance and the Google Maps Places API Google Algorithm Discussions 2
Chris Ratchford Google Analytics - setting up goals for click-to-call Organic SEO 2
L Google ranking in Legal Field Organic SEO 1
Cherie Dickey Something funny going on in Google Maps... am I missing something? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
hajnasiewicz Google Marketing Kit: Create Video Local Content 3
S Google LSA Lead Board - How to manage? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
krystaltaing Google My Business Bulk Verification Limit Reached? Multi-Location Issues 0
K Unable to get verified in Google for SAB Local Search 14
Matt Chauhan Google Maps showing category that doesn't even exist Local Search 1
djbaxter Brightlocal Tool shows Large Google Local Search Algorithm Update March 10, 2021 Google Algorithm Discussions 1
D Local Services and Google my Business Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
F Google Maps Citation confusion? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
K Google requiring storefront photos Google Duplicates & Merges 4
Rich Owings Google community challenge to update 100,000 businesses Google My Business & Google Maps 0
cleverlyengaged Advice on Landmarks/POI/Unclaimed Google Map Locations? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
R What steps should I take to get my suspended and denied Google My business approved? Help & Support for Google Local 1
Jac Google My business Photos - Uploaded but not reflecting on contribution page Google My Business & Google Maps 3
AndySimpson Google My Business Opening Date - What Date Should You Use? Google My Business & Google Maps 2