HoosierBuff

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a car dealer that I am working on. Sometime early this month, the home page basically dropped out of the Google index, for reasons I can't figure out. I'm trying to figure out what may have happened, but, I'm not sure:

1. I checked, there are no manual penalties in WMT

2. The drop in traffic is verified in WMT (and with some rank trackers)

3. I can't tell if there was a change to the website that preceded this, but, there definitely could have been. There was an increase in errors on the site 1 week beforehand.

4. There is no robots.txt

5. The view source does not show a no index.

Is this a penalty?

HoosierBuff

Reaction score
................and, I found it. . . .

the home page had a canonical URL that was www.<dealershipname>.com.com

two .com's.

Reaction score
Are you talking about organic results, or local? Because there was a shakeup that could be related as well, depending on which keywords you're talking about (city in the search) and how far away the client is. Here's a relevant thread:

If you're talking about organic though, the above wouldn't be a factor, just thought I'd throw it out there. If the canonical doesn't help, post the website and I'll take a look and see if anything jumps out.

HoosierBuff

Reaction score
Thanks James

I think it was the canonical issue (though, I won't be sure until the traffic come backs).

I was definitely talking about organic, and talking about it when I searched for the exact brand name of the car dealer "Enrico Palazzo's Ford".

When I would do that search, the home page was AWOL, but the "service" and "specials" page would show up.

HoosierBuff

Reaction score
. . . and the traffic came back.

So, the gist of it was this:

- Canonical URL of home got switched to a nonsense url that 404'd.
- Home page stopped showing up in search, all other pages still showed up
- Fixed the canonical URL
- 24 hours later traffic returned.

Its as simple as that.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience with this Hoosier! Now that you've described it, that sounds about right. Funny how many little landmines there can be for people unfamiliar with technical SEO.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Rich Owings Home page text and map rankings -- has it changed? Google Algorithm Discussions 6
S What makes a great Home/Landing Page in Local? Local Search 6
H For many queries, the home page shows up - not the targetted page Local Search 2
H Home page and create map Google My Business & Google Maps 0
H Home page versus service area pages Local Search 5
Dana Franks Google putting home page title keyword on other pages Organic SEO 6
Gsmithmike Would You Create Location Pages, or Use Home page to create citations? Local Search 1
Rich Owings Too much home page text? Organic SEO 19
Caroline Multi Location: Home Page Competing with Location Page Local Search 7
Michael Charvet Multiple Locations: Use Location Page or Home Page? Help & Support for Google Local 4
Linda Buquet New GMB update shows "Views over past 28 days" on Dashboard home page Google My Business & Google Maps 0
H A GMB test - URL to home page or to location page - results Local Search 10
Ryan77 100's of Page 1 Rankings Already - How To Better Optimize The Home Page? Local Search 11
Durandl Which NAP should i use on my home page? Local Search 2
Dana Franks Home page ranking higher than landing pages for cities Local Search 4
latin_sydney URL on citations to inner page or home page Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Tim Colling Multiple Locations, all listed on home page Local Search 3
T Business w/3 Locations: What City(s) Do I Use in Home Page Title Tag? Multi-Location Issues 2
Travis Van Slooten Business w/3 Locations: What City(s) Do I Use in Home Page Title Tag? Multi-Location Issues 2
T Business w/Multiple Locations: Should G+ Listings Link To Home Page or Loc. Pages? Multi-Location Issues 13
Travis Van Slooten Business w/Multiple Locations: Should G+ Listings Link To Home Page or Loc. Pages? Multi-Location Issues 13
dani Google + local page and home address issue Help & Support for Google Local 6
V Robot.txt Googlebot Is Blocked From Home Page Organic SEO 3
Brian Duplicating Home Page content in the description for new Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 1
M Best to use Landing Page or Home Page Local Search 8
NexstarNickR Book Online option for Home Services All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
buzzrank Home inspector business category not available in Canada, but local competitors have NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
djbaxter A (home) movie about how Google Search works Organic SEO 0
NexstarNickR Spam Levels in Home Services Verticals All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
LocalSEODat Need help with a suspended GMB - Client had home address as place of biz, then suspended. Fixed to meet customers and got reply with no reason Service Area Businesses 6
Shelly LodgingBusiness or Product / Accommodations schema for rental homes on a vacation rental agency website Local Search 1
J Home Office Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Rich Owings Spam fighting SABs with home addresses Spam on Google 8
A Home business privacy issues Local Search 4
Travis Van Slooten Using Home Address for GMB and UPS Address for Citations?? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 10
Brittany Barkes Service Area Business with Virtual & Home Address Service Area Businesses 2
nathangdavidson Competitor has added additional GMB profile for their home address, allowed? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Charles Jenkins Can a home based business list address on GMB? Local Search 2
R Home Business Address Listing? Organic SEO 5
AndySimpson GMB Dashbaord Home Layout Test Google My Business & Google Maps 0
BenFisher New Google My Business Home Layout Rollling out - With GSuite Gmail Upsell Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Josh Gill Is This New? GMB Dashboard Home Screen - "Unlock Your Plan" NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
Tim Colling Home Care Voice Search Optimization: Alexa Echo Show 2 vs. Google Home Hub (The Winner is Yelp) Local Search 4
AndySimpson 📺 Google My Business on the new Google Home Hub Google My Business & Google Maps 8
J Did everyone see the new Google Home with the Screen? Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 7
Garrett Sussman How to Create the Perfect Home Services Listing on Google, Angie's List, and Home Adv Local Reviews 3
Garrett Sussman Home Services Industry Review Management Tips & Insights Local Reviews 2
C Listing Home Business on Foursquare Consultant's Corner 1
P Schema Ideas for Care Home / Retirement Home / Hospice Google My Business & Google Maps 3
JoshuaMackens Home Improvement Scheduling (For Conversion) Local Search 4