leves

Reaction score
Im doing some keyword research and Ive found 2 anomalies for competitive search terms where sites with unoptimised title tags, poor backlinks and other stats, (compared to the other sites listed in the SERP) are out ranking everyone and claiming the #1 spot

The 2 search terms are :
Interior designers London - #1 new-id.co.uk - OSE info
Interior designer London - #1 nstudio.co.uk - OSE info

(interestingly they hardly rank at all for any modification of those search terms)

The only thing i could think of is that they both had some really good links using that exact anchor text, but ive been checking OSE for the past month both in the backlinks and the just discovered but couldnt see anything like that.

I conducted the SERP checking from a laptop with a broadband connection based in London, although im not very local to either of these locations im about an 8th of the cities distance away from one of those location and about half a cities distance away from the other. So i dont think its a local skew thats causing the SERP rankings.

For both sites i can see they had old domains which now redirect to the them :

New-id.co.uk = newidinteriors.com
Nstudio.co.uk = intarya.com

Although the intarya domain was quite strong with good backlinks (but nothing above par comapred to the other sites the nstudio.co.uk site is now outranking, the anchor text was mostly natural with only some keyword anchor text from PA1 pages.

The newidinteriors.com didnt seem to have a backlink profile, both PA1 and DA1.

Any idea what's going on here ?

bhartzer

Reaction score
It looks like you're using the wrong tool to look at the link data for those sites. For New-id.co.uk I'm seeing a lot of on-topic backlinks from other sites. OSE isn't showing the full backlink data. Majestic is the one you'll want to see. Also, take a look at the anchor text of those links, as well.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Garrett Sussman Review Managements Low-Hanging Fruit - Valuable and Easy Review Sites Local Reviews 8
0 Primary Owner hospitalized and has a stroke. Need to add myself as a manager. Verifying via phone calls only grants me Site Manager access. Help & Support for Google Local 2
djbaxter Mozilla to remove Site Specific Browser (Site as app, PWA-like feature) Mobile & Social 0
D Should I Bother Updating NAP on Business Listings and 3rd Party Sites? Citations 7
ChristianRdz Redirecting a ranking page to another site Organic SEO 4
djbaxter Google Search Console: New and improved crawl stats for your site Organic SEO 0
S Clients Business name now has an "A" in front of all it's YEXT site listings Citations 1
A Best Method to Check sites All Scenarios? Websites, Software, and Security 1
djbaxter Speed Test for WordPress sites Websites, Software, and Security 1
D How to properly form site structure for power washing company that serves 10 towns? Local Search 3
Ben Walsh Is this still the ideal site structure for multi location businesses Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
JoshuaMackens Insurance Citation Sites Local Search 5
I How does URL Shortening sites like Umuly work? Websites, Software, and Security 0
sixthcitysarah What citation sites would you say are still important in 2020? Citations 10
Dana Franks Rankings crash after new site - is it the domain? Organic SEO 3
K Gaining Access to Listing as a Site Manager Local Search 7
V Local Services Ad: Does using a different phone number in local services ad effect the organic ranking for my site Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
Conor Treacy GMB Listing for a "mainly" eCommerce site Google My Business & Google Maps 4
djbaxter New SEO Tool: Was There A Google Update Search Site Organic SEO 0
P Data aggregator sites - Who to use? Citations 3
Igor Disabling Website link to Google Business Site Local Search 1
S Site health impact on individual pages ranking? Local Search 2
djbaxter WordPress Sites Targeted in Large-Scale Attacks Websites, Software, and Security 0
G Reviews Markup showing in Serps for Every landing and store page for eccomerce site - Is this is a hack ? Local Reviews 0
Rich Owings Is this a way to get review star icons for your own site in SERPs? Local Reviews 5
djbaxter New features in Search Console to help you move your site Moving or Name Changes 0
Y Remove my name and address from your site. Contact Us Messages 1
M Easiest plugin to migrate [transfer] WP site? Websites, Software, and Security 2
K Request to Manage GMB Listing as Site Owner Google My Business & Google Maps 6
K Schema Markup for Betting/Gambling sites Recycle Bin 0
djbaxter Mythbusting: Linking out to authority (or other) sites does not help rankings Organic SEO 15
A WP - Schema Pro. Can it hurt my site? Organic SEO 7
MKubot What listing sites matter? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
djbaxter Page load speed: Comparison of 4 measurement sites Local SEO Tools & Software 5
ganapathy Splitting multiple websites from one umbrella site is, What are the pros and cons from SEO Point of view? Marketing 7
B How do you protect your GMB site from competitors or spammers edits? Google My Business & Google Maps 21
djbaxter Test your Contact Form 7 on WordPress sites! Recycle Bin 4
kathleen.rhodes Does anyone have experience with eClincher for posting to GMB (and social sites)? Local SEO Tools & Software 1
Rich Owings Are you seeing declining organic traffic for lodging sites? Local Search 7
T Old Marketing Company Switches Us To Site Managers Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Accidental Site De-Index from Google and Long Road to Recovery: Moz Case Study Organic SEO 0
H No Follow on site -impact on GMB? Local Search 6
djbaxter Site Kit by Google WordPress plugin Websites, Software, and Security 11
djbaxter Fake Product Review Sites: New Type of Spam Exploit in Google Spam on Google 0
D Schema Markup for Betting/Gambling sites Recycle Bin 0
Rich Owings Developer let staging site get indexed Websites, Software, and Security 5
L Google now allows Site Owners to Customize the Search Results Snippets, but what can be customized? Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
M SERP showing "this site may be hacked"? Local Search 2
C Landing pages vs Micro site Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
valentinb13 Big jump in campaign sessions after site relaunch Local Search 6