More threads by mikepcservice

Reaction score
So guys this morning I signed up for Premium trial and contacted their support asking their advice on what should I do to reach my target audience. Rep said she cannot help with this as they only help with any technical issues so I am asking here.

Since I am not looking for a job meaning wanting to work for someone or company and only seeking people or companies who are looking to hire someone for "projects" like a web design gig e.t.c, any tips on how to go about this please?

Hey Mike!

While there is a ton of opportunity on Linkedin, there's also a lot of competition and a lot of noise to wade through.
There are a variety of different theories about the best way to market yourself on Linkedin, but the best place to start is with your profile. Make sure all of your sections are filled out completely, and in language that your target customers might use. Just like you'd optimize a website, you want to optimize your profile. Here are some tips on best practices:
  • Create a succinct headline highlighting your expertise
  • Utilize relevant words and phrases within your bio so that it shows up in searches
  • Share details and highlights of past work experience
  • Use a professional but friendly headshot for your profile photo
  • If you have a resume, upload it
  • Demonstrate your expertise and technical ability using their Skills & Endorsements sections
  • Offer social proof with recommendations from your past clients, colleagues, and industry partners
  • Make sure your profile is visible to everyone
  • Make sure you've selected the "open to work" options
  • Build your network -Linkedin stops showing a connection count once you reach 500 connections -try to get to 500 to maximize visibility and leads
  • You have to pay to play -either with your time or with ad $$. Make sure you're posting and commenting regularly to build your presence OR you're advertising your services
  • Share your availability "I have room this month for two projects" or "the calendar is filling up fast, if you need ______, let me know soon!"
  • Do not use sales content or link to your website in every post. People will tune you out
  • Don't be afraid to engage with users and brands that you're interested in working with -this platform is designed for networking! You can't just share posts and expect results, you need to show people you're engaged.

I hope this helps! If it's not what you were looking for, please let me know and I'll do my best to assist!

@mikepcservice, I wouldn't bother with LI advertising at all. Not much of the audience has buying intent. You're more likely to get a lean-n'-mean AdWords campaign off the ground - and along the way you'll get excellent data on exact search terms and on searchers' locations.

That's not a real uplifting answer, I realize, but it may save you some money and a lot of toil in the sun.

That is what I am seeing Phil, thanks. When I was emailed about the Premium free trial I had thought it would be something more along the lines of Craigslist where you would be able to post ads to reach people searching for your services but not seeing that. Seems to me Linkedin is more for networking?

@ErinJones
Thank you for the detailed info, seems I have missed a few which I will take care of now.

@mikepcservice, yeah, LI is definitely more for networking. Big-time. I've worked with exactly one person I can remember who was able to bring in business from it, but her service was/is uniquely suited to the people who spend time on LI.

@mikepcservice, yeah, LI is definitely more for networking. Big-time. I've worked with exactly one person I can remember who was able to bring in business from it, but her service was/is uniquely suited to the people who spend time on LI.

I agree, especially for freelancers. I know some verticals have success, but a lot of the hiring on LinkedIn is recruiters -they usually aren't looking for freelancers or small businesses.

Happy to help, @mikepcservice -please holler if anything else pops up!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom