Ampere

Reaction score
It allows you to enter towns in many different ways. And it will list all of them, allowing you to repeat the town.

For example, it will allow me to enter all 3 of these:

1) Moonachie, Bergen Country, New Jersey
2) Moonachie, NJ, USA
3) Moonachie, NJ 07074, USA

And then there is the 4th way which most of mine area;

4) Moonachie, New Jersey 07074

But that last way I can't get to do it today.

I serve 15 towns. Should I put all 3 for each town? Or is there a better one to pick?

Also, since I cant set any towns to that 4th way today, I wonder if I should change them all to the new way (1 thru 3)? Could that be the reason for my recent drop in calls? :-(

Ampere

Reaction score
An example is 85392, Avondale, AZ (This happens when you just type in the zip)
It is not giving me that option.

If I type in the zip code it only gives the option to do #3 above (Moonachie, NJ 07074, USA).

Also, my main question is whether I should only do it 1 way, or multiple ways for each town? So if I find a way to do it like you mentioned with the zip code first, should I do it that way AND the normal way with the town first? Or only once?

mattheffner

Reaction score
I would agree I don't see any benefit to adding it more than one time as long as it's covered. I've used city names instead of zips as people search with names and not zips but realistically I doubt it makes that much of a difference.

JohnS

Reaction score
I serve 15 towns. Should I put all 3 for each town? Or is there a better one to pick?

@Ampere - Where are you planning to use this? Are you thinking of stuffing all 15 services areas in one page? I would not recommend that.

Adding postal code doesn't hurt but from an local SEO point of view I have always found City, State works when used correctly.

Martin Briggs

Reaction score
Just to be clear, since John asked, you're talking about adding locations to the service area within GMB?

If you enter all the variations you listed for Moonachie into Google Maps, the boundaries are identical for the first 2 and very similar for the 3rd. I'd go with what Matt said, I don't think it's going to make much difference - don't go putting 3 versions for each town.

JohnS

Reaction score
@Martin Briggs Good point.. I have had my head in websites ands product schemas all day. At the same time the GMB service areas are pretty straight forward what you can enter...

Enter your service area information. You can set your service area based on the cities, postal codes, or other areas that you serve.
Note: You can no longer set your service area as a distance around your business.

My experience anyway. Although I am always learning new things and Google is always tweaking stuff.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Matt Chauhan Opinion on entering service areas within the GMB dashboard for Brick and Mortar Businesses NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
Hammer Can't enter verification code due to error "To verify your listing, update your business info" All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
NickB-Tampa Listings at single location getting suspended immediately after entering verification codes Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Hammer If GMB not updating after COVID, re-enter the updates Google My Business & Google Maps 1
liorenda Entering city name in GMB listing name NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
Tim Colling Yext enters the online reviews management and marketing ("ORMM") space Local Reviews 0
James Watt Google My Business Forum: Can't enter Website into Profile Google My Business & Google Maps 8
J I enter suite in the second line, Google changes to # in the first line NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 16
J I enter suite in the second line, Google changes to # in the first line NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 16
Marie Haynes How long did it take for your listing to be active after entering PIN? Local Search 6
D How to properly form site structure for power washing company that serves 10 towns? Local Search 6
Shelly Town Level GMB Listings Google Local 101 7
Shelly Opinions wanted: Answering Q&A on another GMB panel (within a different category) as a business in the same town Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Paul Stevens Businesses from 120 miles away showing up three-pack for searches that name local town Local Search 20
D Name of town/city in keyword phrase Recycle Bin 0
koji Name of town/city in keyword phrase Local Search 5
eshad Keyword tracking for nearby towns Local Search 4
JMcD Rural Locations with Town Addresses Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J Similar h1 tags but different towns ? Local Search 3
D Is a SBB targeting a town 20 miles away realistic? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Noelle Leahy Tool to Find Keyword Search Volumes for a Small Town? Google Local 101 6
H Out of Town Brokers Google My Business & Google Maps 1
H Why do these three out of town lawyers show up high? Ranking Puzzles 18
whiz Ranking with an address outside of town? Local Search 4
A Google My Business - Service Area Towns Local Search 9
H Opening an office in a new town. . . new site, or same site Local Search 4
Jim Froling Google Home Shopping Ads Coming to LA! Is Your Town Next? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
C Two town problem Local Search 3
JoyHawkins How Bad is Spam in Your Town? Google My Business & Google Maps 17
L Easy Win! How to Build out Small Town Local Landing Pages - The Magistrate Multi-Location Issues 3
Linda Buquet Easy Win! How to Build out Small Town Local Landing Pages - The Magistrate Multi-Location Issues 3
Dustybones STUDY: Is Google + Becoming a ghost town? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
accessted Having two listings in different towns with same name Google My Business & Google Maps 2
L Small town where USPS will not deliver mail Service Area Businesses 3
Lloyd Silver Small town where USPS will not deliver mail Service Area Businesses 3
W Business Moving a Town Away Moving or Name Changes 0
WineCountryCarpetCleaning Business Moving a Town Away Moving or Name Changes 0
Travis Van Slooten Businesses in Small Town Can Only Accept Mail Via P.O. Boxes - How To Verify? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
F Can I move into multiple towns through building a stronger listing? Local Search 38
Silkstream Listing a business in more than one town. Local Search 6
Linda Buquet For A Ghost Town, Google+ Sure Grew A Lot Last Month - Wonder if SMBs Helped? Local Search 2
S Schalk here from Cape Town, South Africa Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 2
bethanie Building to Scale with Tools and Whitelabel Services - Seeking: Words of Divine Wisdom Local SEO Tools & Software 1
BekahBerry Multiple service providers with separate books of business, sharing one office, under one company name - What is the best approach to avoid filtering? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 8
koji Local business with online nationwide services in a post-corona world Google Local 101 5
vtrjavier Good someone to provide me with types of services (ideas ) that could work in a city or country? Local Search 1
D A client has 3 verified GMB's across 2 states,with service pages for each location. Should service pages have only their respective locations address? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
NexstarNickR Book Online option for Home Services All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
rickvidallon How Do You Access The Buttons In Google My Business For Online Services? Local Search 4
hajnasiewicz GMB repeatedly changing Health & Safety and Service Options Local Content 6