More threads by mikepcservice

The developer has looked into everything posted here. I have disabled all plugins but same duplicate errors. So tell me this guys so I can take care of this issue and move on.

Would it work for me to uninstall the SEO Press plugin and simply use the WP Meta info fields?

Seems to me the only use for SEO Press or Yoast is to follow their suggestions to optimize the pages, other than that it does not mean if your pages are already optimized that those plugins would offer any other advantage, is this not correct please?

I very much doubt that the Yoast plugin is creating this issue, especially since the problem persists with all plugins disabled.

I would put my money on something in your theme, possibly a manual edit in the theme files.

Have you tried activating the default WordPress theme to check? Does it still persist if you do that?

Do you have any plugins like "headers and footers" that allow you to insert HTML or scripts directly into those locations?

Wait a minute. I am only now noticing a "Duplicate Page" plugin which surely was not installed by me, could that be the culprit for this issue?

Also I am seeing a Hello Dolly plugin which came with the theme, wonder what that is for? I don't want to delete anything which will cause something not to work, these are the list of plugins I am seeing.

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 12.41.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 12.41.59 PM.png

You can delete Hello Dolly.

I don't know why you would want Duplicate Page. That just makes duplicate copies of posts or pages. Delete that too.

SEO Press is not the same as the Yoast plugin. Do you have both SEO Press and Yoast installed? I would personally uninstall SEO Press and install Yoast.

If you have both installed, just delete SEO Press.

As mentioned I have no idea where that Duplicate Page plugin came from.

No I don't have Yoast only SEO Press.

Can anyone answer this for me please?

Would it work for me to uninstall the SEO Press plugin and simply use the WP Meta info fields?

Seems to me the only use for SEO Press or Yoast is to follow their suggestions to optimize the pages, other than that it does not mean if your pages are already optimized that those plugins would offer any other advantage, is this not correct please?

As mentioned I have no idea where that Duplicate Page plugin came from.

No I don't have Yoast only SEO Press.
Install Yoast. Dump SEO Press.

Can anyone answer this for me please?

Not correct. See the description in the link above at Wordpress.org.

Also see

Got it, thanks! Only issue now is, if I were to uninstall SEO Press I would need to have to do each page's meta info all over again, right?

As per our conversation, the problem with the duplicate "Just another Wordpress theme" description wasn't any of the plugins but your theme.

If SEO Press is working for you, you might as well leave it at least for now... unless it turns out that it is creating other duplicate issues. In that case, you may need to redo some meta descriptions or snippets but these are not ranking factors anyway so you wouldn't have to rush to do them all at once. I do think that Yoast is probably better but that's your choice.

Getting back to the errors showing in Ubersuggest Site Audit guys. I am not understanding how the About page's "url can be poorly formatted for SEO"?

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 12.17.41 PM.png

1. You haven't specified a category for the post and/or you haven't createde any categories so it defaults to the WordPress default.

2. You don't have to even use or display categories. Indeed, they often don't even make sense for a niche small business site.

First, go to Dashboard >> Settings >> Permalinks. Select the "Postname" option or the "Custom Structure" option adding /%postname%/ into the text box. Most importantly, you want to make sure that you are not using the category slug in your permalinks.

Then you can add some custom CSS as follows:

Code:
.archive .page-title {
display: none;
}

.post-meta .post-category {
}

.page-title .meta-single li {
border-bottom: none;
}

Where to add this depends on the theme you're using.

Start by going to Dashboard >> Appearance >> Customize

On many themes, down near the bottom in the left navigation column, you will see "Additional CSS" or "Custom CSS". Click on that to open it and add the CSS above into the text box. Then click on Publish at the top right corner of the navigation column.

If your theme does not include an area for custom CSS or additional CSS, install this addon:

Install it. Activate it.

You will now find a new submenu item under Appearance:

Dashboard >> Appearance >> Custom CSS

Click that and enter the custom CSS into the text box. Then click the "Update Custom CSS" button.

PM me if you need help with this.

That's what I am thinking.

@djbaxter

Appreciate the help, before I should follow your instructions can you advise on the redirecting issue mentioned above please?

I thought this was a new site.

@mikepcservice what is the current Permalink structure?

Scratch that... I can see it above: http://bestheatingrepairservice.com/uncategorized/heating-trends-that-will-save-you-money-in-2020/

So you want to get rid of the category in those links. The redirects shouldn't be difficult though. How many posts does that site have (roughly) now?

Well by "new", the site is only 4 months old and I started SEO 2 and a half months ago. It currently has 6 blog posts.

I am assuming here that you are running Apache not Nginx.

Here's your redirect:

1. select either
  • the Post name http://bestheatingrepairservice.com/sample-post/ or
  • the Custom structure http://bestheatingrepairservice.com/%postname%/ option for your new permalinks.
2. add this to your .htaccess file at or near the top:
Code:
RedirectMatch 301 ^/uncategorized/(.*)$ http://bestheatingrepairservice.com/$1

That's it. Done. :)

I am assuming here that you are running Apache not Nginx.

Here's your redirect:

1. select either
  • the Post name http://bestheatingrepairservice.com/sample-post/ or
  • the Custom structure http://bestheatingrepairservice.com/%postname%/ option for your new permalinks.
2. add this to your .htaccess file at or near the top:
Code:
RedirectMatch 301 ^/uncategorized/(.*)$ http://bestheatingrepairservice.com/$1

That's it. Done. :)

lol, easy for you :). I gotta try to figure this out all of this now, get back to you.

Ok lastly, regarding the naming of the category, looking at 2 of the top competitions url structure for their blog page:

ranshaw.com/help-guides/buyers/what-is-the-cost-of-a-furnace-installation-in-new-york

plumbing4nyc.com/Queens-Plumber/

I am not sure which name to use nut I am thinking to keep it simple, maybe name the category "news"? What do you guys think please?

Wait. I thought you were trying to get rid of categories? All of my suggestions above were based on that assumption.

As I noted earlier, I don't think most small business service sites need categories but if you are going to use them at least make the category names add keywords to the URL. "News" ads nothing useful.

I would opt to remove category from the URL entirely but it's up to you. If you want to keep categories in the URL, then set up one or more categories in the dashboard that do add something useful (like city name - see your second example above) and then ignore the rest of what I said.

If you only want one category, create your new category, then set it to the default category, then delete the "uncategorized" category, and finally go back and edit each of your existing posts and change the category to the new one.

Once you decide what to do, PM me if you need help.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom