leadjoint

Reaction score
This is kind of weird; at least for me since I have never encountered this. I am working with a local business client and the search queries for their industry seems to be showing the knowledge graph of one of the competitors rather than the top GMB listings in the local search box.

To explain this, say I search for "plumbers in NYC", you would expect to see the local listing box of the top plumbers in the city. Instead, Google picks one of the top ranking competitors and shows their Knowledge Graph instead. It's as if Google does not realize that this is a local search query and instead thinks the query is a synonym of the company being listed.

Some pointers:

* I have noticed this in the query for many cities across the world. Many cities show neither the knowledge graph or the local box. Only London shows local listings as they should appear.
* The company shown on the Knowledge Graph has the search query as part of the name, but that's not the complete name. (For example, "Plumbers in NYC" would show "XYZ Plumbers" on the knowledge graph

Has anyone seen this happen? Anyway we can get Google to replacce the Knowledge graph with the local listing box? Or maybe get my client show up on the graph instead?

Reaction score
Hello!

This is an interesting query, but it's hard to investigate what the issue might be without a visual example. Are you able to supply a screenshot or link to the SERP?

My intuition would be that Google is generating the KP because it's the closest match to the search query (because the business is using keywords in its brand name, I'm guessing).

Unless you think the competitor is keyword-stuffing (in which case you'll need to suggest an edit), you won't have any luck getting Google to change or remove the KP. Depending on the search term and business names you could try to outrank the competitor, but again it's hard to say without seeing what you're referencing.

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
They're getting a "one box" or KP result because of the partial match name more than likely. What happens when you type in "Plumbers New York City" and "Plumbers New York City NY"? Also, how many Google reviews do they have?

I don't know of any ways to change this except check to see if that's their legitimate name. If it is not, you can report them and see if action will be taken. If it is, their name should revert to their correct name, removing the keywords in the business name (or at least rearranging them), and Google won't have them as an option anymore and may start showing results again. Be aware though, do not report them unless you know for a fact that their name is misrepresented on GMB.

Lluc

Solutions
Reaction score
Hi,

I have the same situation I think, in which the search term in german "privatkoch auf Mallorca", in English "private chef in mallorca" shows the GMB profile of a competitor.

Screenshot_2020-04-22_at_09_27_02.png

While it should be showing the local pack like this.

privatkoch_mallorca_-_Google_Search.png

However, it does not seem to be consistent as there are times when Google shows the local pack and not the GMB Knowledge Panel of the competitor.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Dynamic local city webpage to satisfy [search term] + "near me" queries Service Area Businesses 2
A A WP plugin query - local search Local Search 5
J Re: Keyword vs Keyword+Location - how are you running local search queries ? Recycle Bin 4
djbaxter Brightlocal Tool shows Large Google Local Search Algorithm Update March 10, 2021 Google Algorithm Discussions 1
djbaxter New Local SEO tool from BrightLocal: Local Search Grid Local SEO Tools & Software 7
N Dedicated local search Local Search 12
djbaxter Webinar The State of Local Search 2021 [Webinar + Q&A] Events 0
SpectateSwamp How about discussing local search... Like the Spectate one; everything a 50+ years of programming Geezer wants Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 3
Eoghan_MFeed Looking for a SaaS but more importantly Local Search experienced product managers 🔍 Local SEO Job Board 0
Brian Barwig How to Win at Local Search with Service Area Businesses Service Area Businesses 3
djbaxter A bit of a new look for the Local Search Forum Forum Software Updates and Technical Issues 2
whitespark Whitespark Local Search Summit: September 15 - 17, 2020 Events 3
Gsmithmike The most accurate Tool to show Local Search Result for Geo Targeting keywords? Local SEO Tools & Software 3
A Local Search beginner guide Recycle Bin 0
Creativedge Is the Facebook page name important for local search? Local Search 1
Colan Nielsen Most Active Local Search Forum Members May 2020 LSF News and Announcements 0
djbaxter Webinar Brightlocal Local Search Clinic with Andrew Shotland Events 0
djbaxter Webinar Local Search Clinic with Ben Fisher May 27 @ 8am PT/11am ET Events 3
Colan Nielsen Most Active Local Search Forum Members April 2020 LSF News and Announcements 1
A I want to join local search forum Contact Us Messages 1
djbaxter Webinar Local Search Clinic with Joy Hawkins May 20 @ 8am PT/11am ET Events 2
georgebizpro Local Search Falcon - Competitor Zip Codes Google My Business & Google Maps 1
StephanieNewton Local Search Clinic with Phil Rozek (Online Reviews) Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Webinar Local Search Clinic with Jason Brown Events 0
Colan Nielsen Most Active Local Search Forum Members March 2020 LSF News and Announcements 2
djbaxter Webinar Local Search Clinic with Colan Nielsen Events 3
zach.todd Local Search and Blogging Local Search 3
Colan Nielsen Local Search Industry Survey 2020 from Bright Local Local Search 1
G Most searched local businesses Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Terry Local search results acting weirdly? Local Search 4
Paul Stevens Businesses from 120 miles away showing up three-pack for searches that name local town Local Search 20
Norbert Z. 2020 Local Search Industry Survey Recycle Bin 0
JoyHawkins 2020 Local Search Industry Survey Local Search 10
Colan Nielsen Most Active Local Search Forum Members December 2019 LSF News and Announcements 1
djbaxter Webinar: The State of Local Search in 2020 Events 1
G How to register for local search forums Contact Us Messages 0
Colan Nielsen Most Active Local Search Forum Members November 2019 LSF News and Announcements 0
nathangdavidson Local Teaser SERP feature more common for mobile searches? Local Search 2
AndySimpson Enhance your web presence for Search and the Assistant - keeping it local? Websites, Software, and Security 1
djbaxter Which service-area business types perform best in local search? Service Area Businesses 0
JSammon512 Local Search Ads - Lead Source Attribution Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
P Local Search Advertising Contact Us Messages 4
iFuse Hiring a Local Paid Search Manager Local SEO Job Board 0
djbaxter Video: SEL interview with Joy Hawkins on reviews and changes in Local Search Local Search 0
JoyHawkins New Option to Promote Local Search Services & Tools LSF News and Announcements 2
Rich Owings Local Search Ads (LSA) setup question Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
J Anyone notice these factors on Google Local Search since the update? Local Search 5
JoyHawkins Local Search Experts Badge Local Search Experts Forum 10
Dave DiGregorio “People Also Search For” section in the middle of the local finder results Google My Business & Google Maps 2
M Registration on Local Search Forum Contact Us Messages 1