Reaction score
Hello. I'm just wondering if anyone would share their experience regarding whether, and to what extent, the addition of LSAs has impacted a top GMB ranking?

I'll share first. We have ranked #1 for multiple terms on GMB for several years. Covid greatly impacted our calls, but they started to improve until the first week the LSAs went into effect. Then they plummeted to basically zero. Then we added LSA, but often aren't in the top 3.

Now our calls are spotty -- nothing like before.

This could still be covid related, so it's hard to tell what impact the LSAs might be having.

What has been your experience -- if you aren't in the top for LSAs (but are listed) and still ranking well in GMB?

Also -- any tips on increasing ranking in LSAs?

Thanks very much.

Nicole Basham

Reaction score
Hello:

I'm not aware if there has been more recent research, but we encouraged our clients to invest in LSAs once we saw BrightLocal's research showing that 14% of all clicks on SERPs with LSAs went to those ads:

We've seen a lot of volatility in calls from GMB listings over the past 6 months, but a lot of this we attribute to folks not being physically in the same locations as before (i.e. they are working from home instead of calling in from an office in an urban core). For the most part, local as a channel is still up, and we are finding that clients are adding in even more local leads by having a presence in LSAs, PPC ads, local and organic results.

I'd also add that as more folks are learning about LSAs, there has been increased competition for these placements, particularly for verticals where the cost per lead is very low compared to other advertising channels and platforms.

We assume that a move to the bidding model for LSAs reflects the fact that Google now has the option of offering prime placement if you are willing to increase your cost per lead. This is only available in some markets for some of our clients, so we haven't been able to make any conclusions yet or see how much this impacts the quantity and quality of leads.

Looking forward to hearing what others have been seeing as well.

Tony Wang

Reaction score
I have a client that is highly ranked in the 3 pack. We've been using LSA since it rolled out, at least a couple years now. Can't say that I noticed a drop off in GMB calls; of course, there are so many factors, and it's hard to tell sometimes, but it definitely didn't drop off suddenly.

There is always going to be at least some siphoning off from organic calls by ads at the top. But until the DOJ stomps out the Google monopoly, we really don't have much choice :)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Can you set an end-date for Local Services Ads? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Barb Davids Ad fraud with Local Service Ads? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 6
M Google Local Services Ads - Lack of Leads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 14
S Local Services Ads - Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
L Local Service Ad for Attorney Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
JoyHawkins Are Local Services Ads Stealing Clicks from Google My Business? A Case Study of 110 Listings Paid Search and Local Service Ads 0
M Decreased traffic to Google maps due to local service ads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Scott ClientClicks Call Tracking for Local Service Ads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
NexstarNickR Google Local Service Ads: Price Increases due to Bidding Rollout Paid Search and Local Service Ads 3
N Local services Ad Approach for Businesses with Multiple locations on one GMB Account Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
N Cost of Local Service Ads (LSA) Paid Search and Local Service Ads 15
Scott ClientClicks Local service ads - change link? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
Adam C. Google Local Services Ads Management / Setup Paid Search and Local Service Ads 13
Tony Wang Local Services Ad Spam Paid Search and Local Service Ads 11
V Local Services Ad: Does using a different phone number in local services ad effect the organic ranking for my site Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
EmilyW Local Service Ads: Help w/Service Areas Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
W Local Service Ads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
R Found Local Service Ads in GMB (SIAP) Paid Search and Local Service Ads 15
rutkap Question about Local Service Ads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
D GMB and Local Service Ad Reviews Local Reviews 3
R Free Webinar: Google Local Service Ads with Tom Waddington Events 1
rosie.brightlocal Local Services Ads Click Study: Where do people click on local SERPs? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
Linda Buquet Google Local Service Ads Expanding + Great insights from @mblumenthal & @davidmih Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
koji Local business with online nationwide services in a post-corona world Google Local 101 4
D Local Services and Google my Business Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
djbaxter Online Conference Pubcon Local Services Marketing Conference, January 20-21, 2021 Events 3
Brian Barwig How to Win at Local Search with Service Area Businesses Service Area Businesses 3
danielwallace Needing to transfer reviews from local listings to 1 service area listing Google Duplicates & Merges 1
R Local City Service Pages Local Search 2
Travis Van Slooten Need PPC Guru and/or Agency for Local Service Biz Paid Search and Local Service Ads 3
CJCJR Rise & Fall: Local Service Page via Paid Links Local Search 4
djbaxter Which service-area business types perform best in local search? Service Area Businesses 0
R Tracking numbers for local service company Citations 4
JoyHawkins New Option to Promote Local Search Services & Tools LSF News and Announcements 2
R Looking for Local SEO Services in India Contact Us Messages 2
ValerieM Advice Local Directory Listing Service - Suggestions or Advice Citations 24
J Local service question Local Search 3
Sergio Borges Looking for White Label Local SEO & Social Media Services? Recycle Bin 0
JoyHawkins Looking for White Label Local SEO & Social Media Services? Local Search 14
Colan Nielsen Which Local Citation Sources Let You Specify a Service Area? Service Area Businesses 4
Dan Foland Google Officially Announces 'Local Service Businesses' Improvements Service Area Businesses 6
Linda Buquet MUST Read! The Changing Local SEO Services Market via @mblumenthal @davidmihm Consultant's Corner 2
A How to structure Local service? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 3
O Google Local Services Google My Business & Google Maps 11
B Client Service is not visible on Local 3 Pack. Local Search 3
econbethelmy where can I find a local seo services? Recycle Bin 0
Ray Litvak How to Transition from a being a Web Writer to a Local SEO Services Provider Consultant's Corner 3
D Moz Local and Service Area Business Service Area Businesses 8
Dino Moz Local and Service Area Business Service Area Businesses 8
Priya Chandra Are there more than 3 types of local SEO services? Local Search 2